Kickboxer: Vengeance (2015)

sifu44

Guest Markgway

A Bloodsport remake that isn't?

Mercenaries in Brazil!?!

Sounds like they're just using the title.

The only intriguing thing about Kickboxer, Mark II is Stephen Fung's involvement.

ShaOW!linDude

I'll be interested to see what Stephen Fung does with KICKBOXER. Hope he keeps it grounded.

I am NOT keen about the idea for BLOODSPORT. Really? Vale Tudo? So, it's just another MMA movie then?

Using the titles indeed.

These are basically just new martial arts movies, period.

Honestly, what is Bloodsport or Kickboxer without Van Damme? Unless you were 13 when they came out, they're not exactly good movies.

It's all about what Van Damme brought to the table.

As he prepares to remake the 1980s classic Kickboxer, actor turned director Stephen Fung tells Arthur Tam about finding inspiration from video games, the limitless possibilities in China and making an assault on Hollywood.

http://www.timeout.com.hk/film/features/65103/stephen-fung-interview.html

I've always liked Fung ever since I saw Gen-X Cops.

I posted the news on the main page, but Gabon-born stuntman/martial artist Alain Moussi will play Kurt Sloan in the remake of KICKBOXER.

Also in the film are David Bautista and Georges St. Pierre. It was announced at the Cannes Film Festival. Stephen Fung is still directing and it will be dark and gritty...but to Fung, it seems like a dream project as he was a fan of the Van Damme film...he mentioned he hopes that Van Damme can make some sort of appearance in the film, but nothing is set in stone as to a JCVD appearance.

Its a sad day in Hollywood when they have to remake a martial arts film. Its not like the ideas have not been used over and over again.

I originally felt that way until I heard about Stephen Fung directing it. He has done mainly martial art comedies and I'm quite interested to see how he will do Kickboxer, as 1) it was one of his favorite films as a 15-year old kid living in Hong Kong and 2) he did say the film is going to dark and gritty.

The one issue I'm going to fear is...the producers! We've all seen how producers can mess up a film (Andrew Lau's The Flock, Albert Pyun's Captain America, Spike Lee's Oldboy, Dwight Little's Tekken)...they just better let Fung do his job and properly do it right. I would hate to see Fung's name tarnished because producers want to do it their way. Fung knows what the fans want and I think if they want to make the film successful, do not think of getting involved in editing the film.

Now that we know that Alain Moussi will play Kurt Sloan, are they going to have Xian Chow and if so, who would you cast? I remember Rambo Kong was originally offered the role in 1989 but felt they needed someone better...maybe this could be Rambo's time to shine? (I have a feeling Georges St. Pierre will play Moussi's brother, but take it with a grain of salt)

And who would you like to see choreographing the fights in this?

One more thing...Stephen Fung tends to make appearances in the films he directs (except Tai Chi Hero...he was in Tai Chi Zero as the first one to push Jayden Yuan's birthmark). Do you think there's a chance he will appear to some capacity in this one?

Read a post on Jaynestars that it was being speculated that Shu Qi may be the lead actress of the KICKBOXER remake, but nothing has been confirmed.

According to Impact Online, Georges St. Pierre is playing David Sloane, Kurt's champion brother and Dave Bautista is in fact going to play the villain.

Now, before anyone says anything...yes Bautista is a big guy. But he is also a martial artist (Kali, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiujitsu). He is quite quick with his hands (see his knife fight with Marrese Crump in Wrong Side of Town to see what I'm talking about) and he had competed in MMA. So while he may not be a "Tong Po", I think he may do surprisingly well as the villain. So we'll have to see...

Here is Bautista training with Marrese Crump

AKpzpk4yAC4

The one question that still comes to mind...who will be the fight choreographer?

Secret Executioner

Speaking of Kickboxer, what's the original franchise worth ? Seems like they managed to made 4 or 5 movies with that title, but with at least 3 different actors playing the lead... :squigglemouth:

gwailosforever
The one question that still comes to mind...who will be the fight choreographer?

JJ Perry is attached as fight choreographer for Kickboxer.

YES!!! JJ Perry?! That settles it...I am going to see this!

@Godfrey Ho Worshipper - Van Damme played Kurt Sloane in the original film with Dennis Alexio as Eric Sloane, who is paralyzed in the original film. He also served as the film's fight choreographer with Michel Qissi helping out. Qissi played Tong Po.

Sasha Mitchell played David Sloane in Kickboxer 2, 3, and 4. While he avenges Kurt and Eric's death from Tong Po, part 3 has David returning as champion and going to a fight in Rio. There, he must stop a child prostitution ring. His ring fight against Ian Jacklin was pretty good. Part 4 was the worst of the series IMO. Tong Po returns but is now a drug lord in Mexico and has David framed for murder and kidnaps his wife in the process. Going undercover for the DEA, David gets out of prison and enters Po's martial arts tournament. Tong Po was now played by Kamel Krifa, who is a good martial artist, but the mask he put on looked atrociously bad.

I'm guessing with Sasha working on Step by Step at the time, he couldn't do a 5th installment so they decided to kill David and comes Redemption; Kickboxer 5. Some unknown plays David in the opening credits and is killed for refusing to join the Negaal Kickboxing Federation of South Africa. Enter Matt Reeves, played by Mark Dacascos, David's friend who avenges not only his death but the death of another friend, Johnny, played by martial artist and stuntman Denney Pierce. Geoff Meed plays a former Negaal thug who ends up helping Matt seek revenge. It is worth seeing to see James Ryan of Kill or be Killed as the villain Negaal. One of his victims is played by Gavin Hood, who later directed TSOTSI and X-MEN ORIGINS; WOLVERINE.

I personally enjoyed the saga. I think Fung is going to do a good job with this reboot.

JJ Perry is attached as fight choreographer for Kickboxer.

Actually it was officially confirmed that Larnell Stovall will be the fight choreographer. Stovall was a one time member of Perry's stunt team.

gwailosforever
Actually it was officially confirmed that Larnell Stovall will be the fight choreographer. Stovall was a one time member of Perry's stunt team.

At Cannes they announced it was Perry, even saying so in a promo video. If it's changed Larnell is still a great choice.

Its true Perry was first choice but like he did with Undisputed 3, he passed it on to Larnell. Alain Moussi confirmed the news himself in an interview with website The Action Elite. Shooting begins this fall.

Hey guys,

Alain Moussi, who will make his lead debut as Kurt Sloan in the remake of KICKBOXER, is preparing for the film in his own special way...cooking while in the splits!!! These are two short fun videos Alain has posted recently. Apparently he's going to have more coming soon as he is focusing now solely on prepping for KICKBOXER, which shoots this fall.

whx3p3OD2kc

u4MJLNLUKHU

Alain Moussi is preparing for KICKBOXER in a big way..here is a photo from his official Facebook page with fight choreographer Larnell Stovall :)

10500338_678837022169894_521076970014723637_n.jpg?oh=dc43745ab5feab3dc2ed7481cd6bc9fb&oe=54338163

So there are rumors flying now that Tony Jaa has been offered the role of Xian Chow, the mentor to Alain Moussi's Kurt Sloan. I'm not going to post anything regarding this on the main site until I get a confirmation of "signed, sealed and delivered", but that's the latest.

One Armed Boxer

According to the guys at Twitch Tony Jaa is now not only confirmed, but so is Scott Adkins. Finally I have a reason to be interested in this movie! Adkins vs Jaa in the ring, who needs 'Undisputed 4'!?:tongue:

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/08/adkins-jaa-bautista-st-pierre-and-newcomer-alain-moussi-star-in-stephen-fungs-kickboxer-remake.html

I read that in the Hollywood Reporter from Alain Moussi's Facebook page and I'm not gonna lie...I screamed like a fanboy!!! This is going to be an awesome remake hands down. Larnell Stovall as fight choreographer, Stephen Fung directing, Alain Moussi busting his butt prepping for the film, Georges St. Pierre and Dave Bautista....that's it...I'm spending the $11-12 when this hits theaters...come hell or high water!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Why is Jaa playing a sifu? He's not old and wise enough for it yet. I'd skip the mentor training montage bullshit and go right to having Sloan become a war vet revisiting a close friend or a relative in Thailand preferably Jaa's character, and all of a sudden a long time past has come back to resurface once again and that character is Scott Adkins or Batista. Have the conflict be about Adkins and Batista gang banging Sloan's girlfriend while he was in the Military. Once Sloan finds out, he will seek revenge along with Tony Jaa on Adkins and Batista for gang bangin his girlfriend. See, a classic film already, thank you and you're welcome.

Kinda hard considering Bautista is playing..Tong Po! Now that you mention it...anyone thinking Adkins could be the new Winston??? I mean, he did appear in the martial arts film Pit Fighter in a non-action role and he is a good actor when he's not kicking butt. Thanks OKFC, now you got me wondering...damn you!!! LMAO!

OpiumKungFuCracker

What was the last remake of a movie you remembered enjoying? I hated the karate kid remake. I really don't remember any other remakes out there, can you help me out?

Hmmmm....well, it turns out THR went premature with the news involving Jaa and Adkins....both are still in negotiations as is Dave Bautista. Just got the word from Film Combat Syndicate, in which I updated the post on the main page and announced once everything is set in stone, it will be officially updated with the latest news on the film.