RZA to make new MA movie

blue_skies

I just found this video on YouTube and it looks like RZA might actually make a decent martial arts film after all! If the action sequence is anything to go by in this action concept video, choreographed by Panna Rittkrai and starring Marrese Crump this could be pretty good… Maybe.

ruZG_5C6o6o&feature=youtu.be

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

LOL... TibetanWhiteCrane. :tongue: Come on now, give it a chance.

Perhaps this will be the kind of movie we were expecting the first time around from a martial arts movie fanatic like The RZA. I really dug that clip, and I'm thrilled that anyone is still trying to make martial arts flicks with wire-less fighting. They're few and far between these days. When I watched BUSHIDO MAN I felt so lucky that the film had even been made (it was very cool BTW).

Also, it's nice to see an African American martial artist/actor getting a shot. They're so few and far between. And even though Michael Jai-White is still as impressive as ever, he's already 45, so he can't represent by himself forever.

LOL... TibetanWhiteCrane. :tongue: Come on now, give it a chance.

Perhaps this will be the kind of movie we were expecting the first time around from a martial arts movie fanatic like The RZA. I really dug that clip, and I'm thrilled that anyone is still trying to make martial arts flicks with wire-less fighting. They're few and far between these days. When I watched BUSHIDO MAN I felt so lucky that the film had even been made (it was very cool BTW).

Bushido Man ? I don't remember reading a thread about that film. I just saw the trailer on you Tube and it looks interesting, well apart from the "special weapon" part. also I have to agree it's always great to see martial arts movies without wire work, which has been a large part of the attraction of watching a lot of old school classics over the last few years and discovering some real gems. On the whole(exclusions apply to largely fantasy based Wu Xia) I don't see any necessary reason for wire work , you only need the right people in the roles and it's so much more exciting that way

Omni Dragon

What ever happened to that Rza film that Robert Tai was choreographing?

Drunken Monk

So Rza's just stuck his bane on this, right? There's little to no chance he's actually directing.

Despite the slow motion, this looks solid.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Bushido Man ? I don't remember reading a thread about that film. I just saw the trailer on you Tube and it looks interesting, well apart from the "special weapon" part.

Check out the thread on BUSHIDO MAN here: http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17298&highlight=bushido

I wouldn't have known about it either if it wasn't for Takuma. :angel: Big thanks to him. I haven't taken the time to write my thoughts about it there yet. But in brief- very cool! :nerd:

also I have to agree it's always great to see martial arts movies without wire work, which has been a large part of the attraction of watching a lot of old school classics over the last few years and discovering some real gems. On the whole(exclusions apply to largely fantasy based Wu Xia) I don't see any necessary reason for wire work , you only need the right people in the roles and it's so much more exciting that way

I don't mind when they're used in non-fantasy stuff as a subtle tool to enhance action. Like for instance in Jackie's classics, where they'd wire up a guy's ankle, so that when he was kicked in the leg they could get more of a brutal reaction. But I don't want to see guys jump over a highway from one building to another like in (the mostly enjoyable) INVISIBLE TARGET. That just takes me right out of the movie. Even in wu-xia films, it needs to be done right. I loved what they did in A CHINESE GHOST STORY (1987), but I hated what they did in FLYING SWORDS OF DRAGON GATE (2011). That was awful.

I hadn't heard about that. :smile:

also I have to agree it's always great to see martial arts movies without wire work, which has been a large part of the attraction of watching a lot of old school classics over the last few years and discovering some real gems. On the whole(exclusions apply to largely fantasy based Wu Xia) I don't see any necessary reason for wire work , you only need the right people in the roles and it's so much more exciting that way

Wirework is done for these simple reasons: artistic purposes, philosophical nature of specific style of action choreography based on specific time settings (period contra modern), or just straight-out laziness (Corey *ahem* Yuen). Ancient/old settings in Chinese martial arts movies seems to have always been appealing for action choreographers in that old times equals exaggeration and over-the-top things whereas in modern times you have to keep it plausible at all times.

I don't mind when they're used in non-fantasy stuff as a subtle tool to enhance action. Like for instance in Jackie's classics, where they'd wire up a guy's ankle, so that when he was kicked in the leg they could get more of a brutal reaction. But I don't want to see guys jump over a highway from one building to another like in (the mostly enjoyable) INVISIBLE TARGET. That just takes me right out of the movie. Even in wu-xia films, it needs to be done right. I loved what they did in A CHINESE GHOST STORY (1987), but I hated what they did in FLYING SWORDS OF DRAGON GATE (2011). That was awful.

This^^^

Omni Dragon

I hadn't heard about that. :smile:

I heard about it on FLK back in 2010:

http://flkcinema.com/posts.php?forumId=2&roomId=5088

Here's a trailer really cheesy

_MgfRTmuZSY

But back in 2010 there was another video that's been taken down show it in product Robert Tai it had choreographing the Rza & Chi Kuan Chun IIRC. Might be wishful thinking but I think the making of didn't make this film look so silly.

I'm guessing it was scrapped but I was just wondering if anyone knew what happened to it?

After watching those RZA trailers I sincerely hope he keeps his music away from this potential film. Probably wishful thinking on my part.:tongue:

Archived