SHAWS on itunes

bobo

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lady Jin Szu-Yi
Thanks for the heads up. These are also up in the US.

Looks like Celestial updated their web page prior to releasing the movies this time. There should be at least 18 (including these 2) new ones coming, listed below. The other's aren't up in the US yet though. They did mention on facebook this week that The Brave Archer was coming soon. Haven't been following what's been playing on El Ray, but I assume these have all been shown already?

Brave Archer and His Mate

Buddha's Palm

Full Moon Scimitar

House of Traps

Kid From Kwangtung

Marco Polo

My Young Auntie

Opium and the Kung Fu Master

Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman

Shaolin Handlock

Shaolin Intruders

The Brave Archer

The Brave Archer 2

The Brave Archer 3

The Young Vagabond

Two Champions of Shaolin

The Weird Man

Oh thank you for this. Had I seen this last week I would have held off on House of Traps, Marco Polo and Brave Archer 2 and 3. Must make a note to keep checking this thread.

Skeleton Claw

Yes. Ditto that. Thanks for these updates Chemical Lemon.

Just wish Celestial themselves would be more on the ball with this stuff. The fact that they're not - after all these years - is sadly indicative of a lot of what's been wrong with the marketing of these movies in the west from the very beginning. Double sigh. :(

Skeleton Claw
Anyone know if kid from kwang tung has English dub? Thanks

It says on iTunes that the English dub is included. It's also played in English on the El Rey network - along with several other once rare dubs.

"Ye Kid has eng dub crystal clear" :smile: looked it up on my phone, but couldn't get any info besides synopsis and cast. Can I download to android and send to my pc? Thanks

I just purchased 8 Diagram Pole Fighter and it is missing all the subs; only the Cantonese & English audio tracks work. I think that this might be an glitch. When I first started watching the movie, it played the subs real fast but they were not synched to the dialogue (like the program was cycling through them). Rather odd! I checked my previous Shaws purchases (Dirty Ho, Super Inframan & Executioners from Shaolin) and the subs for them played fine.

De Ming Li

It's strange that at the moment iTunes has One Armed Swordsman and The New One armed Swordsman but not Return of the One Armed Swordsman.

Chemical Lemon

1) Shaolin Handlock is up in the US, I'd recommend waiting though as it has the same issue reason mentioned above. Also, there is no English Dub (at least not yet), which makes the issue with the subtitles a pretty big problem. I believe the funimation DVD release had the english dub though, and it seems like Celestial is having some issues with managing their soundtracks and subtitles. I'm hoping they add a dub to this, but I'm not hugely optimistic about this. The dubs are still missing from the 36th chamber, return to the 36th chamber, and the super inframan even though the dubs are on the youtube and google play versions of the movie. Did this have the dub when it played on El Rey? (I assume it did).

2) De Ming Li, I see Return of the One-Armed Swordsman in the U.S. iTunes. I've noticed some movies disappear shortly on occasion, and it seems to coincide with when new movies are going up. I suspect they made a change to the file and it briefly disappeared while the new file was swapped out for the old one. Which vaguely ties in with this next bit...

3) reason108, I bought 8 Diagram Pole Fighter some time ago and don't remember having this issue. When I bought Shaolin Handlock though I had the same problem. So I went to try and watch 8DPF on my Apple TV, which always streams instead of downloading, and I had the same subtitle issue. I have it downloaded to my computer though, so I tried to watch it there and I did not have the issue. So it looks like they recently updated the file.

4) A couple weeks back I told Celestial about the missing subtitles on the most recent movies and their response was a fairly generic and missing any sort of details. Basically just said some movies will have english dubs and some will have english subtitles. So I chalked it up to an answer to just get me to leave them alone. I figured the movies with no subtitles would never get fixed and possibly they would make sure upcoming movies had the subtitles. So Shaolin Handlock did have english subs (no english dub though), but the subs are messed up like I've mentioned already. I then was looking through other movies to see if they had messed up subs, and during this I notice that they added english subs to "My Young Auntie", "The Young Vagabond", and "Two Champions of Shaolin". I had these downloaded to my computer, and I checked and they definitely didn't have english subs when I downloaded them. I'm re-downloading them now, but my assumption is that when they're done they will have subtitles but they will not work correctly. So my guess is that they are fiddling with subtitles and anything that got updated this last week (either newly added or adjusted for some reason) will have broken subtitles. I'd like to believe they are already aware of this and working on fixing it, but I suspect they're completely oblivious. When I have time I'm going to contact them and I'm sure they'll brush me off, but hopefully they'll do something about it. Also, Shaolin Intruders and Opium and the Kung Fu Master still have no english subtitles.

Chemical Lemon

Shaolin Intruders and Opium and the Kung Fu Master now have english subs.... they have the same issue as the other broken subs though, so they're pretty useless.

1) Shaolin Handlock is up in the US, I'd recommend waiting though as it has the same issue reason mentioned above. Also, there is no English Dub (at least not yet), which makes the issue with the subtitles a pretty big problem. I believe the funimation DVD release had the english dub though, and it seems like Celestial is having some issues with managing their soundtracks and subtitles. I'm hoping they add a dub to this, but I'm not hugely optimistic about this. The dubs are still missing from the 36th chamber, return to the 36th chamber, and the super inframan even though the dubs are on the youtube and google play versions of the movie. Did this have the dub when it played on El Rey? (I assume it did).

2) De Ming Li, I see Return of the One-Armed Swordsman in the U.S. iTunes. I've noticed some movies disappear shortly on occasion, and it seems to coincide with when new movies are going up. I suspect they made a change to the file and it briefly disappeared while the new file was swapped out for the old one. Which vaguely ties in with this next bit...

3) reason108, I bought 8 Diagram Pole Fighter some time ago and don't remember having this issue. When I bought Shaolin Handlock though I had the same problem. So I went to try and watch 8DPF on my Apple TV, which always streams instead of downloading, and I had the same subtitle issue. I have it downloaded to my computer though, so I tried to watch it there and I did not have the issue. So it looks like they recently updated the file.

4) A couple weeks back I told Celestial about the missing subtitles on the most recent movies and their response was a fairly generic and missing any sort of details. Basically just said some movies will have english dubs and some will have english subtitles. So I chalked it up to an answer to just get me to leave them alone. I figured the movies with no subtitles would never get fixed and possibly they would make sure upcoming movies had the subtitles. So Shaolin Handlock did have english subs (no english dub though), but the subs are messed up like I've mentioned already. I then was looking through other movies to see if they had messed up subs, and during this I notice that they added english subs to "My Young Auntie", "The Young Vagabond", and "Two Champions of Shaolin". I had these downloaded to my computer, and I checked and they definitely didn't have english subs when I downloaded them. I'm re-downloading them now, but my assumption is that when they're done they will have subtitles but they will not work correctly. So my guess is that they are fiddling with subtitles and anything that got updated this last week (either newly added or adjusted for some reason) will have broken subtitles. I'd like to believe they are already aware of this and working on fixing it, but I suspect they're completely oblivious. When I have time I'm going to contact them and I'm sure they'll brush me off, but hopefully they'll do something about it. Also, Shaolin Intruders and Opium and the Kung Fu Master still have no english subtitles.

Thanks for the update on this! I was wondering whether or not it was a glitch or a new policy regarding these releases. I also went back to check my previous purchases and they are fine with the subs. Really hope this issue gets resolved. But, is the problem with Celestial or Apple? Didn't they just recently update the iTunes software?

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
Two Champions of Shaolin, The Young Vagabond, and My Young Auntie are up on iTunes in the US now. One thing to note, they have English dubs but no English subs. These are the first SB releases with no subs. I assume it's either a mistake or they are in the process of updating them since they just went up. If it's a mistake then there's a chance they'll never be added.

Yeah, I just bought Two Champions and realized there were no English subs, I was perplexed because the dvd has them.

Thank you for the updates Chemical Lemon. I hope Celestial fixes these. I prefer watching foreign films with English subs.

Chemical Lemon

I get the sense that these movies change several hands before they get up on iTunes. I suspect Celestial may have some other company prepare the films before handing them off to an aggregator who eventually passes them off to iTunes. It could be simpler than that, I'm not sure. So I could see where the blame could or could not be Celestial's. In this case they really do seem to be trying to fix this quickly though. In the past it's seemed to take them a long time to respond to issues. yesterday I noticed that almost all the subs are fixed now. So all of the recent releases except Shaolin Hand Lock had english subs and they were working. I saw that someone from Celestial was actively logged onto facebook last night so I messaged them and told them that Shaolin Hand Lock and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter still had broken subs. They immediately got back to me and said they would contact iTunes and their partners to let them know about the issue. This morning I checked and Shaolin Hand Lock is fixed, but 8 Diagram Pole Fighter still has the issue (sorry reason). I'm hoping that will be fixed soon though.

I also brought up some of the missing english dubs (36th Chamber, Return to the 36th Chamber, Super Inframan, and Shaolin Hand Lock), but the first 3 have been missing dubs for quite some time, so I suspect they won't go back and add them. I figured it wouldn't hurt trying though. They do at least appear to realize how important english subtitles are now.

Chemical Lemon

oh and I forgot to mention, if you're downloading these and saving them on your computer, which I recommend at least for the purpose of backing them up, then you'll want to delete and redownload any movie that's been fixed since you first downloaded it. So all the recent movies that first had no english subtitles, then had broken subtitles. If you have either version of those movies downloaded, go into iTunes click on the movie with whatever version of left click your computer uses (I think on macs it's [control]-Click). It will ask you to confirm if you want to delete it. If it asks you if you want to hide this movie from your collect, then DO-NOT-CONTINUE, hit cancel. This means you don't currently have the movie downloaded, and even though it's not a huge deal to re-add it to the collection it's not worth the extra work to do it. Once the copy is removed from your computer just redownload it and it should get the latest fixed copy. If you're streaming the movies off of iTunes it will always get the latest version.

I wish there was some easy way to see what movies have been updated since you last downloaded them, similar to updates to software or apps. I guess it's a rare enough occurrence that it's unlikely to happen.

I get the sense that these movies change several hands before they get up on iTunes. I suspect Celestial may have some other company prepare the films before handing them off to an aggregator who eventually passes them off to iTunes. It could be simpler than that, I'm not sure. So I could see where the blame could or could not be Celestial's. In this case they really do seem to be trying to fix this quickly though. In the past it's seemed to take them a long time to respond to issues. yesterday I noticed that almost all the subs are fixed now. So all of the recent releases except Shaolin Hand Lock had english subs and they were working. I saw that someone from Celestial was actively logged onto facebook last night so I messaged them and told them that Shaolin Hand Lock and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter still had broken subs. They immediately got back to me and said they would contact iTunes and their partners to let them know about the issue. This morning I checked and Shaolin Hand Lock is fixed, but 8 Diagram Pole Fighter still has the issue (sorry reason). I'm hoping that will be fixed soon though.

I also brought up some of the missing english dubs (36th Chamber, Return to the 36th Chamber, Super Inframan, and Shaolin Hand Lock), but the first 3 have been missing dubs for quite some time, so I suspect they won't go back and add them. I figured it wouldn't hurt trying though. They do at least appear to realize how important english subtitles are now.

oh and I forgot to mention, if you're downloading these and saving them on your computer, which I recommend at least for the purpose of backing them up, then you'll want to delete and redownload any movie that's been fixed since you first downloaded it. So all the recent movies that first had no english subtitles, then had broken subtitles. If you have either version of those movies downloaded, go into iTunes click on the movie with whatever version of left click your computer uses (I think on macs it's [control]-Click). It will ask you to confirm if you want to delete it. If it asks you if you want to hide this movie from your collect, then DO-NOT-CONTINUE, hit cancel. This means you don't currently have the movie downloaded, and even though it's not a huge deal to re-add it to the collection it's not worth the extra work to do it. Once the copy is removed from your computer just redownload it and it should get the latest fixed copy. If you're streaming the movies off of iTunes it will always get the latest version.

I wish there was some easy way to see what movies have been updated since you last downloaded them, similar to updates to software or apps. I guess it's a rare enough occurrence that it's unlikely to happen.

Thanks for the info and helping to get this issue resolved. You would think that 8 Diagram would have been fixed right away since that is one of the best known Shaws titles. :bigsmile:

I still hope these get a blu-ray sometime soon but if they get this sub issue fixed then I will spring for a few more titles.

Just picked up Challenge of the Masters. Now I am up to 5 Shaws HD titles on iTunes. 5 more and I will be tied with my Shaw Brothers blu-ray collection. :wink:

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I will definitely try this with Two Champions of Shaolin in a few weeks time. Worse comes to worse, I can always watch the dvd. With all the different licenses in place, I can understand where there might be some films that do not have English subs. It was good to be reminded of that.

Chemical Lemon

The interesting thing with 8 Diagram Pole Fighter is that the english subs used to work fine. I didn't understand why they went and updated the file. But I noticed that they recently added Simplified Chinese subtitles (It used to just have Traditional Chinese subtitles). I went back and checked the copy saved on my computer and it doesn't have Simplified subtitles. My guess is that they're trying to simplify the rollout of these movies to different regions. So having either Mandarin or Cantonese dub, english dub, and english, simplified, and traditional subtitles allows them to use the same file in all chinese and english speaking markets. It would make sense to add simplified chinese subtitles to the movie since it was released with the Cantonese dub. Or perhaps in China they released a different file, and the simplified subtitles are just for mainland chinese living abroad in english speaking countries. I'm not sure, but it makes sense now that the file changed, since there is a clear difference between the current version and the older version. I checked several other SB releases that had no Mandarin dub and no simplified subtitles but they haven't added simplified subs to them. It's possible they will be updating these as they get to them, or they may be releasing them in a territory now where they feel they need the simplified subs and updating them as they're released in that territory. This does give me some hope that they will update The 36th Chamber, and Return to the 36th Chamber releases because both have just the Cantonese dub and english subtitles. Hopefully if they're adding chinese subtitles they will add the english dub too.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Appreciate the info Chemical Lemon, my ear cannot detect the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin yet.

and too for the tip of delete and download. It works.

After posting in this thread yesterday, I watched Two Champions of Shaolin again and noticed the English subs speed by in a blur before the opening scene.

I deleted it from the hard drive and downloaded again today, English subs work perfectly now.

Thanks again, Chemical Lemon. I'll continue to do this with any Shaws I buy from iTunes should any problems arise.

I deleted 8-Diagram and re-downloaded it but same problem still. Perhaps I will wait until the end of next week and try again. Can we update the thread to reflect which movies are now broken? :tongue:

Chemical Lemon

I think 8 Diagram Pile Fighter is fixed now. I tried earlier today and it was broken, but I checked just now and it seems to be working.

I think 8 Diagram Pile Fighter is fixed now. I tried earlier today and it was broken, but I checked just now and it seems to be working.

Should I try it again? :bigsmile:

Chemical Lemon

Yeah, definitely, give it another try. I deleted it the other day and re-downloaded it and it's definitely a different file and it definitely works. If it doesn't work for you I'll be pretty surprised. I'll cross my fingers that they don't upload a new broken version tonight.

Yeah, definitely, give it another try. I deleted it the other day and re-downloaded it and it's definitely a different file and it definitely works. If it doesn't work for you I'll be pretty surprised. I'll cross my fingers that they don't upload a new broken version tonight.

Thanks again for all your help! I uninstalled and re-installed again this morning and now the subs are there. Great! About time! :big smile:

Archived