SHAWS on itunes

bobo

Chemical Lemon

Unfortunately I think this might have been a mistake. I think they may have copied the posting from yesterday's movie (kid with the golden arm) and forgotten to delete that part when adding the "Kid from Kwangtung" info. I'm still going to keep an eye out for it though.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Skeleton Claw
Unfortunately I think this might have been a mistake. I think they may have copied the posting from yesterday's movie (kid with the golden arm) and forgotten to delete that part when adding the "Kid from Kwangtung" info. I'm still going to keep an eye out for it though.

If that's the case talk about a tease!

Just purchased my 2nd iTunes download. I ended up getting Executioners from Shaolin. I may end up getting another one.

Just purchased my 2nd iTunes download. I ended up getting Executioners from Shaolin. I may end up getting another one.

I wonder if Mad Monkey Kung Fu is uncut for UK customers?

Why buy Itunes instead of DVD/Bluray?

Exactly! I always get the dvd, the remastered dvd and then the blu ray (if it is available). I will always choose physical media over the download. And, I will go kicking and screaming into an downloads only future; hating it with dying last breath. :tongue: But, that does not mean that I won't, from time to time, purchase an download. It has to be for a really good reason though. I certainly would not want to invest hundreds or thousands of dollars into it. Someone would have to build a future device that will play 500 tb discs that will hold many 4k or 8k native resolution movies for me to ditch my dvd and blu rays.

For anyone interested:

I noticed that the version of Executioners from Shaolin from iTunes is the same as the one from the Weinstein/Arc Entertainment release. In other words, the texts and opening scroll of the film are a different color and font from the original Celestial Pictures dvd release. I can't remember if that is something that I noticed before or not. Arc Entertainment and iTunes have white text. Celestial has yellow text. Otherwise, the subs are normal. And, I actually prefer the iTunes subs because they are at the very bottom of the picture (instead of being in it) or below it, in the black bar area.

That wasn't the question. I'm asking because in the uk the film has always been cut.

Secret Executioner
Exactly! I always get the dvd, the remastered dvd and then the blu ray (if it is available). I will always choose physical media over the download. And, I will go kicking and screaming into an downloads only future; hating it with dying last breath. :tongue:

A-Freakin'-MEN to that.

That wasn't the question. I'm asking because in the uk the film has always been cut.

And there's most certainly no way of getting a foreign release outside purchasing a file...

And there's most certainly no way of getting a foreign release outside purchasing a file...

LMAO let me know when you can get this in HD *outside* of iTunes

Secret Executioner

Sure, iTunes downloads are obviously HD. I mean, a 128k mp3 file has to be as good if not better than the original CD or vinyl record it's taken from, right - same goes for some DivX file.

(and yeah, it's not like Dragon Dynasty has released this one on R1 DVD already... But I assume you're okay with paying for a file, but buying an import DVD is a big no-no)

Chemical Lemon
I wonder if Mad Monkey Kung Fu is uncut for UK customers?

I don't know the answer, but if the portion cut in the UK is related to animal violence then I'd assume the same laws apply to streaming/downloaded movies. If it's not cut elsewhere and you can play DVDs from any region you may want to go that route. If HD is more important then iTunes may be your best option at the moment.

It's fine to prefer physical media. It's also fine to prefer streaming/download. The quality of the HD iTunes SB is almost as good as blu ray, and they're $8 here in the US. I own every single Celestial/IVL SB DVD. I own most of the SB DVDs released in the US and all the blu ray released in the US and a lot of the DVDs and blu ray released over seas. I also own most of the SB movies on iTunes. It's all opinion, but for my personal needs the iTunes movies are the best mix of quality, flexibility, and price. Whatever format you decide to go with, decide for yourself, listen to others opinions but don't let that overshadow your own particular needs.

Chemical Lemon

I'm not sure if there's a way to check that or not. It sounds like iTunes works with companies called aggregators who package groups of movies and encode them, then make them available to iTunes. The aggregators deal with whoever has VOD rights for that film and may pay them a flat fee or percentage. I think if a company owns the rights to the movie perpetually and isn't getting ripped off by the aggregator then the movie is likely to stay up indefinitely. If a company has licensed VOD rights for a short time it's likely that the movie will at least temporarily be taken down when the license is up. I suspect it's more complicated, if someone here is more familiar with how this works I'd love to know the details.

If you download and back up the movies though you will have them as long as they're stored. I've seen some movies with multiple distributors in iTunes. I believe both a Celestial and mirimax version of Mighty Peking Man are on the store. That raises some questions about how those rights work and enforcement.

I typically stream my movies but back them up on my computer.

hi---just thought i would mention that CELESTIAL on facebook finally answered my question about more shaws :wink:on itunes. they said 10 (ten) more english dubbed shaws would be added by the end of 2014 and more would follow in 2015. they did not say which titles. so they have 3 months to add 10 more movies, i hope they include some of the rares. thanks

Anyone who has 36th Chamber of Shaolin can you confirm if it has the mandarin track as well as the Cantonese that's listed on iTunes?

Chemical Lemon

The 10 movies mentioned haven't made their way to iTunes yet, but they appear to already be up to purchase on google play (only SD?) and Youtube (HD and SD). Youtube lists the "language" as English, but I'm not sure if there are other dubs/subs. They also listed "The Super Inframan" as English and the clip at least was not, I'm guessing the movie is not. I haven't purchased anything on google play or Youtube before so I'm not even sure if they handle multiple soundtracks and subtitles, I assume they do. I'm also wondering whether the Youtube version of the 36th Chamber movies comes with both the english dub and Cantonese dub. The iTunes version did not have the English dub, the clip on Youtube is in English.

Youtube appears like a slightly cheaper option than iTunes, $6 for HD instead of $8.

In any case there are 10 there that are not on iTunes so I assume these are the 10 that will come to iTunes shortly.

The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter (which is technically already on iTunes from DD, with just the english dub)

The Duel

Valley of the Fangs

Legendary Weapons of China

The Deadly Duo

The Assassin

Dirty Ho

Clan of the White Lotus

The Heroic Ones

Killer Clans

Chemical Lemon

Most of the 10 additional movies are up on iTunes now. Unfortunately they're $15 to buy now, still $4 to rent. I think I'll wait on these to see if they drop in price at all.

The iTunes prices for these are insane. You can get the dvd for the same amount of money. Yeah, I know. But, I just can't believe they are charging that much for these. I would rather invest in blu ray but might pick up a couple of these once the price drops to half price. Otherwise, gonna stick with my dvd collection.

Archived