SHAWS on itunes

bobo

Chemical Lemon

Let me know what you think of Heads for Sale.  I had seen it when it was released by IVL, and I'm not sure if it was sub par subtitles or fatigue from years of similar movies, but it wasn't memorable at all.  But WOW, when I picked it up and watched it just recently, I had a great time.  It's one of my favorite iTunes purchases.  It can be a bit on the silly side, but pretty bloody and fun.  Here's hoping we get a few similar movies mixed in the next year.  I remember really liking Finger of Doom, it's probably not likely to be on the docket anytime soon but maybe with Ivy Ling Po it has some crossover territory appeal.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thanks for the updates here and on your list Chemical Lemon. It looks like the titles you have listed as expected are finally starting to come through.  I'm skipping Full Moon... , but may rent Heads for Sale  somewhere along the way. 

My Shaws addiction is still kicking, will be very selective going forward. 

Chemical Lemon

The Brave Archer is up in the US now too.  Mandarin/English dubs, English/Traditional-Chinese subtitles.  it's not showing by searching yet, you'll need to search chang cheh, click on a chang cheh movie, and then follow the chang cheh link under director.  

edit:  Or just follow this link:  Brave Archer, The

Chemical Lemon

Also noticed that on Youtube they've been adding the trailers for the movies showing up on iTunes.  They just added Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman Trailer, so maybe we'll see that tonight too.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Wow.

Digits crossed for House of Traps before the month is out.

:monk_laughing:Just happened to check the iTunes web site and crapped my pants to see the return of The Brave Archer and Marco Polo; along with Buddha`s Palm. I purchased Brace Archer and Marco Polo. Buddha`s Palm will be one that I pass on. Ok, unleash the rest! :smile

I always do my searches with Celestial Pictures. I think it catches everything available. 

Chemical Lemon

The Brave Archer 2 and House of Traps are up in the US.  Both have Mandarin/English dubs and English/Traditional-Chinese subs.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

The Brave Archer 2 and House of Traps are up in the US.  Both have Mandarin/English dubs and English/Traditional-Chinese subs.

You just made my commute home. 

Thanks for the updates Chemical Lemon, will be buying House of Traps once I get in. 

Thanks for the updates, Chemical Lemon. Picked up Brave Archer 2. Also, glad for Lady Jin Szu-Yi that House of Traps is finally back. Cool! I have been buying so many of these Shaws releases lately that my cc company contacted me to make sure that someone else was not using my card. haha. Nope, just me spending money. :monk_concerned:

At least now, my Brave Archer series, in HD, is almost complete. 

Thanks again for the update. Purchased Brave Archer and His Mate last night after reading that it was available. At least my Brave Archer series is complete now. And, just bought The New One-Armed Swordsman

Question Time - 

Which Shaws film should I rent or watch next? Here is the list of what I have yet to see (that is available on iTunes). Are there any of these that I might want to avoid? I know that opinions will vary but what is the consensus on fight scenes and story. Thanks for any opinions!  

The Duel

Monkey Kung Fu (director John Lo Mar)

Vengeance

The Assassin

Valley of the Fangs

Man of Iron

The Tigress of Shaolin

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thanks again for the update. Purchased Brave Archer and His Mate last night after reading that it was available. At least my Brave Archer series is complete now. And, just bought The New One-Armed Swordsman

Question Time - 

Which Shaws film should I rent or watch next? Here is the list of what I have yet to see (that is available on iTunes). Are there any of these that I might want to avoid? I know that opinions will vary but what is the consensus on fight scenes and story. Thanks for any opinions!  

The Duel

Monkey Kung Fu (director John Lo Mar)

Vengeance

The Assassin

Valley of the Fangs

Man of Iron

The Tigress of Shaolin

Looking forward to reading what you think of The New One Armed Swordsman. 

Vengance! Definitely. That's a very stripped down, excellent revenge film and the knife fights are insane.  You see some of David Chiang's stunt man history in his character's actions too. 

My favorite Chang Cheh movie for many, many reasons. And the cinematography is great.  The Duel is good too, but beware the ending which I enjoy but you might find a bit irritating depending on your laste reason108. 

Looking forward to reading what you think of The New One Armed Swordsman. 

Vengance! Definitely. That's a very stripped down, excellent revenge film and the knife fights are insane.  You see some of David Chiang's stunt man history in his character's actions too. 

My favorite Chang Cheh movie for many, many reasons. And the cinematography is great.  The Duel is good too, but beware the ending which I enjoy but you might find a bit irritating depending on your laste reason108. 

Cool! Thanks! I will check out Vengeance, then The Duel. 

Chemical Lemon

Cool! Thanks! I will check out Vengeance, then The Duel. 

I'll second Vengeance, and the Duel is a good companion movie.  

Of your list of movies the only one I might recommend avoiding is The Tigress of Shaolin, this one suffers really badly from attempted humor and the story just meanders without any real purpose or payoff.  Possibly it's funny in it's native language/culture but if so I don't think it translated well.  There was enough talent here to have humor and fights, but it constantly feels like they're too busy trying to make it silly and failing at both.

I realized that I have The Duel on dvd. :monk_laughing:I have way too many Shaws. I still need to watch it though. If I like it enough then I will do the upgrade.

well, personally, i dont think you can go wrong with Monkey Kung Fu (director John Lo Mar)!!! the choreo is quite simply AMAAAZZZING! ...just sayin'! 

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Life Gamble is up in the US.  Mandarin and English dubs, English and traditional Chinese subs

Thanks for the update Chemical Lemon, my favorite Kuo Choi performance.  

Life Gamble purchased

The subs are the same on the iTunes version as on the BCI dvd. Just one slight difference is that when some of the characters are introduced, and at the bottom of the screen is their name written in Chinese. On the dvd, each name is translated in the English sub. On iTunes, that is not the case. 

Chemical Lemon

Sort of off topic, I was updating the "SB on iTunes" list with links to the movies on Youtube when I noticed that Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman was available there even though it isn't on iTunes.  Youtube/Google Play is mostly up to date with iTunes now.  They probably have a little more than 90% of the movies available on iTunes.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Killer Constable is up on iTunes and SOLD!

My bootleg has now been kicked to the curb (CKT style of course.)

Archived