SHAWS on itunes

bobo

i just heard that celestial shaws are now available in many new markets such as Australia and the UK on itunes. just wondering if any one who lives or knows some one who might have access could check to see if there are any lost english dub shaws available. they are coming to north america by the end of july. thanks

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's taken a while to even find how to browse the titles. I searched for some relatively well-known Shaw brother movies like Avenging Eagle, 36th chamber of Shaolin, Heroes of the East, five deadly venoms, return of the five deadly venoms etc and kept striking out looking under "action and adventure". However I then found Return to the 36th Chamber and from that page the 36th chamber of Shaolin. Anyway there's no information other than actor , director , producer and plot summary. All I can tell you is it costs £4.99 , no language information, widescreen, subtitles or anything.

edit:

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can search more effectively the only other thing I could find was this

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/shaw-movies-soundtrack-compilation/id157248678

Found 36th Chamber on iTunes AU, says the file's HD. Cantonese, English subs.

3.49 gb for 720p, just a bit higher for 1080p. $14.99

They have Return there too, tried looking for other titles but it's not very well organised. Will try again later.

just learned that boxtv in india will have access to various shaw brothers movies and all will include the original english dubs. including a lot of the still lost dubs. ain't that a kick in the head.

just learned that boxtv in india will have access to various shaw brothers movies and all will include the original english dubs. including a lot of the still lost dubs. ain't that a kick in the head.

They have Return there too, tried looking for other titles but it's not very well organised. Will try again later.

I hate it when I`m right. I knew they were going to charge full price for a HD version.

I'm sure they use better compression methods but surely the quality is not all that. These files could easily fit on a DVD.

I hate it when I`m right. I knew they were going to charge full price for a HD version.

I'm in Australia, so those may be decent prices. :bigsmile:

I'm sure they use better compression methods but surely the quality is not all that. These files could easily fit on a DVD.

Yeah, true. I've never really used iTunes so I don't know how their files compared.

^^ I'm not even sure if they actually started becoming available here in usa/canada.

if anyone can post link for each ones.

Searching for "shaolin" in the search box only bring 3 titles, Shaolin vs Evil Dead, Man from Shaolin and Shaolin.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/CelestialSBFilm

They've been updating Facebook/Twitter fairly often, including recent updates on new countries. Nothing for the U.S. yet, though they've said they hope to open it to us by the end of 2013. They've never said anything about trying to have them in there by the end of July, at least that I've seen, so I don't consider this process as having been delayed yet. Unless... you think this should have all happened 5 years ago haha.

Wow, I'm sorta shocked at the lack of excitement for this! Shaw's on iTunes are pretty much our last hope to see any of the unreleased films. I for one will buy quite a few once I have the cash. $8 for an HD version of these films is great.

Why all the hate?

Wow, I'm sorta shocked at the lack of excitement for this! Shaw's on iTunes are pretty much our last hope to see any of the unreleased films. I for one will buy quite a few once I have the cash. $8 for an HD version of these films is great.

What exactly is there?

I believe there are at least 10. A few have never seen a R1 release too. For some reason, Celestial has seemed to have dropped the ball entirely on this announcement.

I believe there are at least 10. A few have never seen a R1 release too. For some reason, Celestial has seemed to have dropped the ball entirely on this announcement.

Wow! What are they????

Chemical Lemon

I haven't seen any unreleased shaws on US itunes, but it's difficult to say what's there without searching for each title individually. They have a site now that lists the movies available on iTunes. It's an incomplete list. These are the 23 celestial movies I've seen on US iTunes

Heroes of the East

36th Chamber*

Return to the 36th Chamber*

Disciples of the 36th Chamber

Executioners of Shaolin

Martial Arts of Shaolin

Vengeance

The Savage 5

Five Shaolin Masters

Shaolin Martial Arts

Disciples of Shaolin

The New Shaolin Boxers

Heroes Two

Invincible Shaolin

The Flying Guillotine

The Avenging Eagle

Shaolin Prince

King Boxer

Come Drink With Me

Hero*

Out of the Dark*

Justice My Foot*

Behind the Yellow Line*

the starred titles have no english dub, Of the ones I've checked out, "Come Drink With Me" is a new dub, I think it was also on the Dragon Dynasty DVD. I think Heroes Two, Come Drink With Me, and Hero were all added after the others. There may be more out there, these are the ones I've run across though.

A few of these don't have a legit R1 release on DVD/Blu here so far. Not sure why you think they weren't "unreleased."

I haven't seen any unreleased shaws on US itunes, but it's difficult to say what's there without searching for each title individually. They have a site now that lists the movies available on iTunes. It's an incomplete list. These are the 23 celestial movies I've seen on US iTunes

Heroes of the East

36th Chamber*

Return to the 36th Chamber*

Disciples of the 36th Chamber

Executioners of Shaolin

Martial Arts of Shaolin

Vengeance

The Savage 5

Five Shaolin Masters

Shaolin Martial Arts

Disciples of Shaolin

The New Shaolin Boxers

Heroes Two

Invincible Shaolin

The Flying Guillotine

The Avenging Eagle

Shaolin Prince

King Boxer

Come Drink With Me

Hero*

Out of the Dark*

Justice My Foot*

Behind the Yellow Line*

the starred titles have no english dub, Of the ones I've checked out, "Come Drink With Me" is a new dub, I think it was also on the Dragon Dynasty DVD. I think Heroes Two, Come Drink With Me, and Hero were all added after the others. There may be more out there, these are the ones I've run across though.

Is there any advantage to getting the Itunes versions, dubbing aside?

Chemical Lemon

Yeah, for unreleased I was referring to the movies on the zii eagle that never got DVD/vcd releases. Was not meant as a correction to anything you said, you clearly specified non region 1 releases. I should have been more specific about what I meant.

Chemical Lemon
Is there any advantage to getting the Itunes versions, dubbing aside?

Depends, they're HD but as a general rule not as good as blu ray. I did buy Heroes Two with the intent of comparing it to the blu ray. Haven't had time though (we have a 9 month old :D ) and honestly my opinion on visual quality doesn't count for much. Most of the SB blus didn't look that sharp to me anyway, so I'm not sure if it makes a big difference. Otherwise the only real advantage would be convenience and price ($8). I doubt they're as good as the German blus but I haven't been able to convince myself to shell out the 50 USD those cost. So it all depends on your price/quality needs.

It works for me though, I like the English dubs and have an Apple TV. so being able to stream "The Savage 5" and "Vengeance" to my tv and watch it in English with (what I consider to be) good picture quality is pretty great. What I'm really hoping for are some of those ZiiEagle exclusive movies, I'm not holding my breath though.

Archived