How do you spot real Celestial releases from fakes?

blue_skies

I was wondering if there a website where you can see the cover art from the different Celestial DVDs available across the world? I was also wondering if there's any tips any of you have for spotting the fakes from the legitimate releases? I can check sites for the Hong Kong IVL but when it comes to the Taiwanese and Thailand releases, I'm not sure how to tell.:squigglemouth:

Oh and if there's already a thread on this that I couldn't find please merge it. Thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

Can someone also address why are IVL so important to the community? Is it rare? Something that's is different from the rest of the releases? Tell me more about IVL please? I have a few IVL and would like to know the real from the fake.

Can someone also address why are IVL so important to the community? Is it rare? Something that's is different from the rest of the releases? Tell me more about IVL please? I have a few IVL and would like to know the real from the fake.

Don't have a definitive answer why but... IVL was the initial video distributor of the Celestial/ Shaw Brothers library back in December 2002 when the remasters started. Many of those pressing are now out of stock and more desirable by the fan base. The HK pressings seemed to be more coveted even over the IVLs pressed in Thailand and elsewhere.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I think they are very distinct and easy to spot, and tell apart from boots.

The Thai versions are from United and has the Thai lettering along with the Chinese and English title.

The Taiwanese are from Deltamac and are always gold colored with white font.

And the Well Go, Tokyo Shock, Siren, Image, Zoke, Funimation etc... are also quite distinctive in cover style. I really don't see how you can mistake boots for any of these.

I think they are very distinct and easy to spot, and tell apart from boots.

When they are trying to copy the originals exactly it can be very hard to tell the difference.. Here is a bootleg Shaolin Avengers and a real IVL Savage 5.

2cqmyjb.png

The only thing that obviously makes this a fake is the black amaray case. If they had put it in a clear case it would have been very hard to detect the difference, but not impossible. They still had to scan the cover and there is a quality difference even with a high res scan. The best place to look is where there are sharp lines, like the edges of text or the upc code.

11173gy.png

Now the difference becomes much clearer. The DVD inside this boot has also been screen printed and they did a very good job, but if you compare it to an original you can see the difference in quality. The best way to avoid buying boots is to get the films through a reputable retailer.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well obviously... if they are so shameless that they are straight up scanning the original coverart, it is a bit harder. Though as you stated, there are still tells, such as pale colors etc. But if you're bying online, it's hard to tell.

I've never come across these brazen knockoffs myself. And I buy everything online.

IVL's always come in a clear case. There are no IVL's in simplified packaging. You usually find these bootlegs in big chinatowns for 2 or 3 bucks.

Hmm I did wonder if there would be such good fakes on the market. It's just the shame you can't tell until you have bought something and it's arrived in the post..Still thanks for the useful information everyone.:bigsmile:

I'm sure I recall someone linking me in the past to a site that shows Shaw Bros cover art. Does anyone else recall this or nowhere I can find it?

I was also wondering can anyone recommend some legitimate/reputable retailers for IVL, the Taiwanese Deltamac, and Thai United? I'm aware of DDDHouse & YesAsia but after that I wouldn't have a clue where to look.

OKFC, I could be wrong but I always thought IVL's were desired for their original mono soundtracks that might not be on other releases.

How abour region coding?If your (computer) dvd-drive is set up for other region than 3 but it plays it plays "ivl" disc, its fake. Each and every non-legit version so far I have encountered have been region free...

I was also wondering can anyone recommend some legitimate/reputable retailers for IVL, the Taiwanese Deltamac, and Thai United? I'm aware of DDDHouse & YesAsia but after that I wouldn't have a clue where to look.

Can anyone recommend any?

and Thai United?

http://www.thaimegamart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=01&Category_Code=020000039

I have ordered from them once, and it was smooth deal. They don` t quite have everything on website 2-3 titles were OOP year ago when I tried them. Not bad% as got ~15.

By the way, word for possible Thailand travellers you do not find those United from department stores over there. There is only thai action and hollywood and mostly new stuff. And new hollywood movie pirates from street sellers. For United releases go for online shopping. Shops specialized on dvds do not exist(ok, maybe some do but I did not find then in phuket or bkk and been there more than once).

ShawAngela

Does anyone can tell me if this company " thai cd online " is an official company for Shaw Brothers' releases, please ?

Here's a link :

http://www.yesasia.com/global/opium-and-the-kung-fu-master-1984-dvd-thailand-version/1032369706-0-0-0-en/info.html

I thought that there were only United which released Shaws' movies.

I bought the same as the one shown on the yeasia link from another site, believing that I would get a United dvd, but it's in a black box and the Shaws and Celestial logos don't appear on the disc, so, I'm a little bit afraid that I got a fake dvd...

I also bought Lige gamble, and this one, doesn't even have a sleeve !!

Thaks for any answer.

ShawAngela

I tried the disc, and it's mentioned as a " Peak Makers " and " L.H.Movie Fusion Co. Ltd ".

Does it ring a bell to someone ?

Since when I put it in the computer, the title doesn't even appear and it's only mentioned "dvd " or " undefined ", I'm now quite sure that it's a fake, so, if anyone planned to buy this kind of Thailand version of movies, be careful...

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Very helpful thread. I wish I would have researched before I wasted way too much $ on bootlegs in April and May. :sad:

I am buying IVLs (so far HK only) from one seller on eBay and buddhawake here. I was considering a few Thai Celestial dvds from the eBay seller I deal with, but I think I'll hold off for awhile.

I tried the disc, and it's mentioned as a " Peak Makers " and " L.H.Movie Fusion Co. Ltd ".

Since when I put it in the computer, the title doesn't even appear and it's only mentioned "dvd " or " undefined ", I'm now quite sure that it's a fake, so, if anyone planned to buy this kind of Thailand version of movies, be careful...

It sure sounds like it but I have not known Yesasia to sell boots. But, it is possible, I guess, since they do sell movies from other countries. Not sure why Celestial`s name would not be on the box somewhere. Does not sound right to me. You may want to contact Yesasia and see if they say anything. Or, contact Celestial through Facebook.

The most popular company to put out Shaw DVD's in Thailand was definitely United Home Pictures, but there was also a company called Lionheart Pictures (which I think had involvement with Peak Makers) that released some legitimate titles there too. Many of them came with cardboard slip covers but some did not. They should all at least have the Celestial logo on the front and back of the case, but I don't recall if they did on the disc itself. Some of the titles included English subtitles, but most of them did not.

ShawAngela

Thank you for the informations.

Yes, I just heard about Lion Heart company too from a Thai seller, so, maybe I was mistaken when I thought that they were fake. The Celestial and Shaws' logos are on the boxes for sure, but they don't appear on all the discs...

Archived