The Medallion: Distributor Logos

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Curious thing...

All of the posters and trailers for The Medallion feature the Tri-Star Pictures logo.

US Poster:

http://www.impawards.com/2003/posters/medallion.jpg

HK Poster:

http://www.impawards.com/2003/posters/medallion_ver2.jpg

US Trailer:

and yet...

The film itself is presented by Screen Gems (another Sony subsidiary):

Q1. How did this play in Asia? Which logo was shown?

Q2. Just how involved in production were Sony - if at all? Did they serve only as distributor? I know they were responsible for re-shoots, but they surely must have had a stake prior to completion to make that happen - or was the initial film completed without any Sony involvement whatsoever and taken over after the fact (the film currently gives credit to Bill Borden as co-executive producer)?

Cognoscente

When I was perusing the Temple of the Unknown forum, I found a 2002 comment from Bey Logan: "Winston Ellis? Our UK casting agents suggested him for 'Highbinders', but, given my past experiences, I didn't want to work with Winston again. What a difference a decade makes, eh?"

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bucketheads/viewtopic.php?p=20283#p20283

• Like 2

Actor/writer Ip Kwong-Kim talked about The Medallion in that D & B eBook that I posted in the HK books thread. When talking about script doctoring, he said: "I usually started to participate when it got to the point that the crew had to stop filming. I never got to take part before shooting. In fact, a script doctor is not unlike a firefighter. Take Gordon’s The Medallion (2003) as an example. Sammo Hung is the action director. A set was constructed in Thailand and shooting continued up to a point when they could not figure out what to do with the scenes tomorrow. There were different opinions which could not be reconciled, and shooting stopped. Each day of delay would cost HK$0.7 million in set rentals and two or three days would have accumulated into millions. As filming could not stop, I was asked to fly over from Hong Kong to solve the problem. I had to be prepared in advance including reading the script and understanding the story. I assumed there would be a lot of pressure. However, I was perhaps too focused that I forgot about being nervous. Such is creative work: you cannot perform once you are nervous. The film was produced by Emperor Motion Pictures, and I was its creative director in 2001."

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 1