Beijing Blues [2012]

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

Haven't seen any info posted here yet but it won best feature at the 2012 Golden Horse awards. Has anyone seen this film yet?

Synopsis from Yesasia:

Gao Qunshu's Beijing Blues is not your typical crime film. The Mainland director of The Message and Wind Blast stays off the beaten track of commercial filmmaking for his latest cinematic outing, opting instead to tell the undramatic true story of a low-level police officer in Beijing. With respect to the almost documentary-like texture of the narrative, the acclaimed writer-director notably cast dozens of amateur actors for the various main and supporting roles. Well-known publisher Zhang Lixian, whom he knew from Weibo (the major microblog platform in China), plays the central character Zhang Huiling, the plainclothes detective hailed in real life as a great crimebuster having caught more than 1,600 criminals in seven years. Offering a gritty and compelling portrait of street crimes in the capital of China, the reality-based cop drama earned Gao a Best Director award at the 15th Shanghai International Film Festival.

mdTS8IT4Jv0

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had this in my stack of movies to watch, so just for you :smile: I watched it tonight. Amusingly enough, there are some fireworks in the film, so it was oddly appropriate to watch on the 4th of July.

As the synopsis says, BB is very uncinematic and documentary like, pretty much the opposite of most films discussed on this forum. I found it more interesting than good. It was interesting to see the various low-level scams play out. I had not seen such footage of Bejing's streets before; it was depicted very differently than in other films.

As far as negatives go, there is one disturbing scene involving harm to a child, and a subplot revolving around the criminal "Gold digger Zhang" which felt like it belonged in a more cartoonish film.

If you would be OK watching a 2-hour documentary on street crime, then try this film.

ETA: Just watched the trailer in your post. That trailer is 10x more dramatic than the actual film.

Archived