City Hunter in 1080p HD!

Guest Markgway

Just heard about this. Well, at least they have true HD on the best JC film of all time. :tongue: Glad those other, worse, JC movies did not deserve true HD. Such horrible films as Armour of God, Operation Condor, The Young Master, Police Story series, should I go on...:tongue::wink::crossedlips::angel: (just kidding)

Does this mean that the Shout Factory disc has true HD for City Hunter too?

Don`t worry about me. I will be in the corner crying my eyes out that some of the better JC movies did not get such great treatment. :ooh:

OldPangYau
Does this mean that the Shout Factory disc has true HD for City Hunter too?

Seems like we all hang out at Blu-ray.com :wink: But yeah, I would think Shout Factory got the same transfer... I don't see Fortune Star being the type to re-do their "HD masters", outside of the Bruce Lee films. Of course, Battle Creek Brawl will probably still be an upconvert.

*sigh* I still don't get what happened with FS and what their thought process is with these HD transfers!

and these shots are from a torrent release by a guy who does very lousy screenshot. it could even look better. it doesn't look very good anyway (lots of filtering). seeing how DOUBLE TAP looks with so much nice grain this is still a letdown. anyway, ordered it and will check if these shots are correct then. this will still have horrid 7.1 lunacy only so it's unwatchable for me in its state in any case :)

Guest Markgway
and these shots are from a torrent release by a guy who does very lousy screenshot. it could even look better. it doesn't look very good anyway (lots of filtering). seeing how DOUBLE TAP looks with so much nice grain this is still a letdown. anyway, ordered it and will check if these shots are correct then. this will still have horrid 7.1 lunacy only so it's unwatchable for me in its state in any case :)

The only DVD edition of City Hunter that doesn't have a remix of some sort is the OOP Deltamac. If Shout! can use the same HD master and match it to an original mono track their BD set might actually be worth buying!

i'd prefer English Audio on this movie anyway, as most of the actors are lipsynched in that Dub - apparently all speaking English on Set (which is quite logical considering the Cast). they'll give Shout some new Dub and a 5.1 Downmix with our Luck.

• Like 1

Only Richard Norton and Gary Daniels spoke English on set.

Japs Girl did too. and Mike Abbot surely too, if he spoke at all. just watch it with synched English Audio (as i did) and it's visible. (don't watch the HKL DVD, which is often not in proper Synch to the spoken lines)

Guest Markgway
Japs Girl did too. and Mike Abbot surely too, if he spoke at all. just watch it with synched English Audio (as i did) and it's visible. (don't watch the HKL DVD, which is often not in proper Synch to the spoken lines)

OK. I only remembered the two westerners having (English) lines. But then I haven't seen CH in many years. Probably last time was when the HKL came out.

Kumiko Goto was the daughter, Kenzo Hagiwara her father. The only casting nod towards the comic's Japanese origin. I just assumed they spoke Japanese, but English would make more sense when communicating with Cantonese actors. I'll watch out for it next time.

Looking at the HKMDB, I recall Louis Roth having some lines, but I think that actor spoke fluent Cantonese.

Killer Meteor

I often watch the HKL dvd for the hilarious dub. This is definelty one of my favourite HK movies.

A few things about the subs on the HKL dvd

1) I noticed Jackie is called Ryu Saeba rather than the character's actual Cantonese name

2) Apparently HKL removed the AIDS joke (in a Wong Jing movie? Never!) to get a 12 rating

3) That big long song by the two comedians is not translated! Anyone know what they are saying?

And Kumiko looks too young - give me Joey Wong in that black number any day!

Hard to believe the film is 20 years old now. Where does the time go?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, back then I was younger than her....

Although now my eye is firmly on Chingmy and her busty airhead friend.

Killer Meteor
Well, back then I was younger than her....

Although now my eye is firmly on Chingmy and her busty airhead friend.

Was Jackie falling in love with his foster child a dig at Woody Allen?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, she wasn't really the love interest, so I think we can let it slide. Plus, the Ryu Saeba character was a bit of a coozhound in the original material, or what i've seen of it.

Killer Meteor
She was born in '74, so she was about 18-19 in CH, thats legal and not creepy.

I know, she just looks too young for my taste. Isn't she married to a race driver these days?

TibetanWhiteCrane

She married french Formula 1 driver Jean Alesi, and they are still together with four kids, I believe.

just got the Disc, it has evem more & better grain (true HD) than the torrent Screenshots suggested. un-be-lievable.

Audio is horrid remix of couse.

b1b937265874981.jpg e3ec2b265875002.jpg 6cffe3265875018.jpg e6a484265875033.jpg 02c344265875049.jpg dbe772265875081.jpg ed6f1e265875103.jpg 2641bc265875122.jpg a63bc6265875147.jpg 882244265875168.jpg a1cc9c265875188.jpg c26b91265875207.jpg 42ef10265875228.jpg

Guest Markgway

I don't think I could put up with an FS remix even for true HD.

Would be awesome if someone could add a mono track to the HD print.