BIG NEWS! So, Bruce Li and Hwang Jang Lee walk into a bar.....

jiujitsu77

ok.....now that i have your attention....and before anyone complains about my placement of this thread, I PROMISE you that this DOES have to do with classic MA cinema. If anyone on here is my friend, or has corresponded with me in the past, I implore you to take a gander, because I am trying to address all of you while talkin' bout some classic Fu.

Recently, I posted about my recent findings. Being the budding philanthropist that I am, I have decided to try to run a DVD company. So far i have two titles. The one that counts is "Bruce Li's Magnum Fist". I lost the thread, so I apologize for opening a new one, but I also wanted to add some other ramblings and reach out to you all on here.

1)I see that Carl Jones has written a book some two years ago titled "Here Comes The Clones". Has anyone read this, and is Carl a member here?

2) I know that Mr. Pollard has various advertisements in order to keep his site running. I am all for capitalism in some way or form....but why for the LOVE OF CHIRST does there have to be an ad for The Chicago Cubs? I am a Sox fan, dammit!! Haha. im sure it is a regional thing with the ads much like facebook. just throwing in a joke.

3)While I have stated I am trying my hand at a dvd company, I have thought about contacting Grindhouse Releasing to see if they were interested. Has anyone dealt with them before? I do understand that the sad recent passing of Sage would be a setback, and they have been kinda bumpy with releasing stuff in the past, but i believe in them, and would love some insight. Also...I have dealt with Media Blasters in the past when i ran a chain of dvd rental stores, but I really did not like the way they did things. What say you, forum reader? Have they changed their ways and are they releasing anything of value (minus the recent Godzilla dvd...without extras dammit!)

4) A while back, a very nice person on here sent me some italian crime films just for the hell of it. he didnt post much, and since the recent revamp of the forum, I have lost touch. One was called "Cry of a Prostitute", and the others were "The Boss" trilogy, all with Henry Silva. I believe his avatar was that of johnny wang lung wei. If you are on here sir, please contact me. i would love to return the favor somehow.

5)Anyone see the HJL documentary yet? is it released even?

Thank you all for not condemning me (yet) for rambling. if anyone has any insight on my queries (cough! cough! BOB) feel free to post something or PM me. I don't get to come here as much as I did back in the day, but i would like that to change, because I really dig this community. great people talking about great things. I hope my dvd comes in to fruition soon so I can at least return some of that joy

cheers

andrew

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how about trying to get some of the english lost dub shaw titles from celestial--after all you know there's still a market.

i was assuming most of the catalog was taken already. If I can find any prints on the market at a reasonable price, AND providing that the print is in somewhat decent shape where I don't have to spend five times as much to fix it, then hell yea. let me know if you see any. i would gladly do that.

how does celestial pictures NOT own the rights to these? Well I do see how they would not own possibly an international print or tv pan and scan that was dubbed, but I thought all of that was included once they rebought the rights? im going to check the public domain. it is good to do every month or so

Killer Meteor
i was assuming most of the catalog was taken already. If I can find any prints on the market at a reasonable price, AND providing that the print is in somewhat decent shape where I don't have to spend five times as much to fix it, then hell yea. let me know if you see any. i would gladly do that.

how does celestial pictures NOT own the rights to these? Well I do see how they would not own possibly an international print or tv pan and scan that was dubbed, but I thought all of that was included once they rebought the rights? im going to check the public domain. it is good to do every month or so

The Shaws stuff is likely all tied up with Celestial, I wouldn't go down that route. They techically own the stuff even if it is not in their possession.

Any old indie films sound a safer bet.

Killer Meteor
ok.....now that i have your attention....and before anyone complains about my placement of this thread, I PROMISE you that this DOES have to do with classic MA cinema. If anyone on here is my friend, or has corresponded with me in the past, I implore you to take a gander, because I am trying to address all of you while talkin' bout some classic Fu.

Recently, I posted about my recent findings. Being the budding philanthropist that I am, I have decided to try to run a DVD company. So far i have two titles. The one that counts is "Bruce Li's Magnum Fist". I lost the thread, so I apologize for opening a new one, but I also wanted to add some other ramblings and reach out to you all on here.

1)I see that Carl Jones has written a book some two years ago titled "Here Comes The Clones". Has anyone read this, and is Carl a member here?

2) I know that Mr. Pollard has various advertisements in order to keep his site running. I am all for capitalism in some way or form....but why for the LOVE OF CHIRST does there have to be an ad for The Chicago Cubs? I am a Sox fan, dammit!! Haha. im sure it is a regional thing with the ads much like facebook. just throwing in a joke.

3)While I have stated I am trying my hand at a dvd company, I have thought about contacting Grindhouse Releasing to see if they were interested. Has anyone dealt with them before? I do understand that the sad recent passing of Sage would be a setback, and they have been kinda bumpy with releasing stuff in the past, but i believe in them, and would love some insight. Also...I have dealt with Media Blasters in the past when i ran a chain of dvd rental stores, but I really did not like the way they did things. What say you, forum reader? Have they changed their ways and are they releasing anything of value (minus the recent Godzilla dvd...without extras dammit!)

4) A while back, a very nice person on here sent me some italian crime films just for the hell of it. he didnt post much, and since the recent revamp of the forum, I have lost touch. One was called "Cry of a Prostitute", and the others were "The Boss" trilogy, all with Henry Silva. I believe his avatar was that of johnny wang lung wei. If you are on here sir, please contact me. i would love to return the favor somehow.

Thank you all for not condemning me (yet) for rambling. if anyone has any insight on my queries (cough! cough! BOB) feel free to post something or PM me. I don't get to come here as much as I did back in the day, but i would like that to change, because I really dig this community. great people talking about great things. I hope my dvd comes in to fruition soon so I can at least return some of that joy

cheers

andrew

Have you tried Kino Lorber or Synapse?

Apparently Grindhouse Releasing is bouncing back with new blu titles this year and the next, including non-horror titles like The Big Gundown (my favorite Spaghetti Western not starring Clint Eastwood :wink:), so they're still around.

Meanwhile, I'll be sending you a PM about looking for some work to help you out :xd:

Have you tried Kino Lorber or Synapse?

I have contacted kino about a separate print i just received, but had not thought of either for bruce li. what do you think, now that you mention it?

One Armed Boxer
The one that counts is "Bruce Li's Magnum Fist". I lost the thread

It's here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19831

Yes, his name on the forum is shukocarl, and you can find a thread on the book here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8446

The guy with the Johnny Wang Lung Wei avatar is peringaten.

Nope, both are still in limbo due to funding issues.

The Anonymous King -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13344

The Good Bad Boy -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18690

My intuition tells me that Houndslow is preparing a HJL documentary but that is just a guess. Not confirmed...yet

It's here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19831

Yes, his name on the forum is shukocarl, and you can find a thread on the book here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8446

The guy with the Johnny Wang Lung Wei avatar is peringaten.

Nope, both are still in limbo due to funding issues.

The Anonymous King -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13344

The Good Bad Boy -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18690

dude, you are good. thanks man. all structured and whatnot. i do appreciate the time you put in to answers. it really helps

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Yes, he's a member here (as the always helpful One Armed Boxer has already pointed out), and a very nice guy. I'm definitely not very knowledgeable about Bruce Lee clones, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

Sorry, no idea. My dealings with them were limited to having a sales table next to them at the Lo Meng event (they were very friendly, cool chaps), and buying all of their DVD releases. :nerd: I know that doesn't help you any...

I'll second that. Peringaten is a cool dude. :wink:

I'm in touch with the director of THE ANONYMOUS KING: IN SEARCH OF HWANG JANG-LEE. So the second there's any news/developments on this documentary I will post here on the forum.

Thank you all for not condemning me (yet) for rambling. if anyone has any insight on my queries (cough! cough! BOB) feel free to post something or PM me.

LOL As you can see, my insight is quite limited bro! :xd: But you know you have my support, and I'm in your corner cheering you on.

My advice would be- don't spread yourself thin by buying up or preparing a bunch of different things at once. Carefully choose one thing, give that your all, and see how you do. I say this because the DVD market is collapsing in on it's self right now, and our little niche of genre fanatics is not only small, but it seems, most of them are average Joes (and Sue's) on low budgets. I recently spoke to a woman that does all the ordering of DVDs and Blu-Rays for my local Best Buy, and she was loading movies onto a huge cart to send them back. She told me that Best Buy stores are going to be getting rid of 90% of their movies because they just don't sell anymore. :ooh: So I don't want to see you dig a huge hole for yourself, investing a ton of time and money into ten different releases, then get stuck. Rock out one good one first, just to test the waters. Then if it goes off like a whirlwind kick, you can charge ahead with confidence :bigsmile:

Jesus Bob since day one you have had my back. Don't ever be afraid to call an ask for a kidney. You should be canonized.

And dude. You are so right. At times it is not so much me buying the prints but another"doner" I should say. When it comes to 35mm and 16mm film, almost 60% of everything in hollywood is shot on digital, so film is now considered obsolete, much like the brick and mortar stores I used to run. THAT being said, 35mm 16mm prints and negatives are starting to become an investment (as well as a culture run by much older people i might add). Sometimes I may have to jump at the chance to get something only because it is the ONLY one in existence (at the time, I guess). It isn't as expensive as i thought to OWN them, but to own the RIGHTS is another story. I am lucky that stuff that floats under the PD radar at auctions are quite accessible, an sometimes titles worthy of a proper release here stateside. I will take your advice to heart, seeing I have been out of sales for over two years, and even then it was declining. However, the only reason the brick and mortar stores are sending them back is not so much because of the demand, but the access. I was told that most people can buy it much cheaper over the internet. While our genre is one that purists will eventually try and find the most obscure, it still helps to know that certain titles are available at a fair cost. I think that is the approach I will take....one at a time, depending on the demand. With the very first, I'd like to try and at least test the waters, regardless if the film is not his best. I want to provide something better at a cost I know people will enjoy. Eventually I would love to get my hands on better titles, but so far it is what I can find thru a close knit community of film collectors. Most grindhouse/kung fu titles are USUALLY 16mm and beat to hell. I think the only reason I really chose this was because it was 35mm and scope. After the colors are adjusted at the lab in Chicago (which is only one of SIX left in the US that isnt a university?....that's only in the last TEN years!) ill start doing the digital work. I think now though, I see actual film being a small investment. Now if I could only be the one who finds London After Midnight dammit!

Archived