Why did Chang Cheh leave Shaws in the 80s?

Killer Meteor

Guest Markgway

His films were no longer hits at the box office, his style deemed passé.

Shaws ceasing production on Mandarin movies might not have helped.

At least in Taiwan he could make Mandarin martial arts films, though he soon moved into Chinese productions.

Wasn't he first sent to Taiwan by Shaws (guess this doesn't count as him 'leaving') to make films there as a way of spending money they couldn't take out of Taiwan?

Killer Meteor
His films were no longer hits at the box office, his style deemed passé.

Shaws ceasing production on Mandarin movies might not have helped.

At least in Taiwan he could make Mandarin martial arts films, though he soon moved into Chinese productions.

Sorry, I may be missing this, but was he dropped, or chose to leave?

Just off the top of my head ... when he returned from Taiwan he signed a 5yr contract for 25 films. While we highly regard these V-flix, it sounded like he was just going through the motions to complete his contract. Anyhow, after his contract with Run was done, he decided to move on and do his own thing.

Can't recall the specifics of the whole Taiwan deal. He was using funds to create movies there because he/they couldn't take the $$ out of Taiwan but I forgot exactly who's money it was and why it had to spent in Taiwan and not HK.

The early-mid 70s thing was about some situation where Shaw couldn't take the money from Taiwan back to HK as mentioned. That always made no sense because you would simply take that surplus money to budget more movies that, wait for it, make more money. It'd be a cycle of money that you can never get out.

As far as the end, I heard this somewhere on the net. Weird Man came out in '83. Shaws pulled it after 2-4 days. After that, CC was gone. Cheng Tien Chi went with him. Chiu Kwok/Chao Kuo, Chu Ko and the many bit players stayed. Chiu Kwok did one more Shaw then I saw him again in Dancing Warrior. Chu Ko got a couple of super bit parts and worked with KC with Lu Chun Ku. CC hooked back up with LF and CS along with CTC until he closed up Taiwan shop and went to the mainland.

Cognoscente
On 6/18/2013 at 9:55 PM, BaronK said:

The early-mid 70s thing was about some situation where Shaw couldn't take the money from Taiwan back to HK as mentioned. That always made no sense because you would simply take that surplus money to budget more movies that, wait for it, make more money. It'd be a cycle of money that you can never get out.

It's like the deal that was made for Bruce Lee and James Coburn to film The Silent Flute in India.

• Like 2

DrNgor
On 6/18/2013 at 5:55 PM, BaronK said:

As far as the end, I heard this somewhere on the net. Weird Man came out in '83. Shaws pulled it after 2-4 days. After that, CC was gone.

So, was it such a massive flop that they couldn't justify funding his films and let him go? Or did he figure that staying onboard had no future for him, so he went to Taiwan where he'd have a bit more creative leeway?

Killer Meteor

According to HKMDB

Five Element Ninjas

Box Office: HK $1,628,717

The Weird Man

Box Office: HK $466,84

That's quite a drop!