300: Rise of an Empire (2014)

BaronK

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was more bloodier and more interesting camera shots. However, the cast was un-charismatic and you didn't get drawn in or felt like rooting for anyone. This movie needed Gerard Butler. And He probably needs another movie like this to revive his career for making all those bad romantic comedies.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I can't think of another actor whose had a promising career after one movie and in the end became one of the biggest flubs in Hollywood.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Saw this last night.

The only thing that held me in check was the action.

Otherwise just so so IMO.

11178752_800.jpg

GD Y-Y

masterofoneinchpunch
Saw this last night.

The only thing that held me in check was the action.

Otherwise just so so IMO.

GD Y-Y

Basic plot, but I did like the action. I enjoyed it in the theater. I do think it loses quite a bit on a smaller screen.

Caught this over the weekend. I liked the first film a fair bit back in the day but, for some reason, this sequel just didn't interest me.

So I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw it.

Sure it's historically inaccurate but I still had a hell of a time. The action is mostly very well done, and very well shot.

There is zero shakycam, and that in itself needs celebrating.

Recommended to all, apart from those with a low threshold for sex and gore. And Greek History tutors.

masterofoneinchpunch
...Sure it's historically inaccurate but I still had a hell of a time. The action is mostly very well done, and very well shot.

Good points. This is probably why I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Solid action scenes, especially at sea kept it interesting for me. This is one of the reasons I liked John Wick so much (less shaky camera, more shots from farther distance, not the sea point though :)). It was one of those films where I was pretty pumped after seeing it in the theater. I gave it bonus points for that.

ShaOW!linDude
Caught this over the weekend. I liked the first film a fair bit back in the day but, for some reason, this sequel just didn't interest me.

So I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw it.

Sure it's historically inaccurate but I still had a hell of a time. The action is mostly very well done, and very well shot.

Recommended to all, apart from those with a low threshold for sex and gore. And Greek History tutors.

Cool beans. Like you, I've been leery about seeing this. Now I'll be looking to check it out. Thanks, K.

Egh... Was not really a fan of this. The action was solid, but inconsistent. It felt like the same thing over and over. The first 300 did a great job of making each figjt feel like a new challenge. When the main character was riding the horse in the last fight, and he jumped in the water. That was the worst cgi I have seen in a Hollywood movie. It was solid but not even in the same breath as number 1

Secret Executioner

To quote the Cinema Snob: "What the fuck, Hollywood ?!"

They had to use CGI for a guy jumping in freaking water ?! Not only do they use this CG bullcrap for every single animated movie (can't people draw anymore ?!), but now even for something that simple ?! Geez, maybe there's some CG action in romcoms too - cause, you know, people talk and walk around, and if people are too fucking lazy to jump in some water, they'll get lazy about that too.

I hate naff and/or unnecesary CGI as much as the next cat, but the scene Gwai Lo is talking about could only be done via CGI.

• Administrator
To quote the Cinema Snob: "What the fuck, Hollywood ?!"

They had to use CGI for a guy jumping in freaking water ?! Not only do they use this CG bullcrap for every single animated movie (can't people draw anymore ?!), but now even for something that simple ?! Geez, maybe there's some CG action in romcoms too - cause, you know, people talk and walk around, and if people are too fucking lazy to jump in some water, they'll get lazy about that too.

I hate naff and/or unnecesary CGI as much as the next cat, but the scene Gwai Lo is talking about could only be done via CGI.

Saw a movie last night that was excellent- KUNDO. But in one scene they show a baby- not going over a waterfall... not wrestling a komodo dragon... not being thrown like a football... just being handed gently from one person to the next- and it was this weird, horrible CGI baby. A real WTF? moment in an otherwise fantastic movie (with otherwise brief, but realistic CGI FX).

Anyway, back to the main subject... My son lent me the BD of this back when it came out, but I haven't watched it yet. It's in 3D, and that shit looks AMAZING on my TV, so it should be extra fun. I was feeling just like ShaOW!linDude about it, but with Karlos' endorsement it moves way up on my "to watch" list.

Saw a movie last night that was excellent- KUNDO. But in one scene they show a baby- not going over a waterfall... not wrestling a komodo dragon... not being thrown like a football...

Pfft, well there goes my interest in seeing this movie...

• Administrator
Pfft, well there goes my interest in seeing this movie...

I was just saying the CGI baby doesn't do those things. But a team of actual babies do ALL of these things in the film! Yeah... that's the ticket. :angel:

I was just saying the CGI baby doesn't do those things. But a team of actual babies do ALL of these things in the film! Yeah... that's the ticket. :angel:

Okay, now we're talkin...

Took me a bit to realize that all of the action would be sea based, where the first was land based. That did not further excite me. The first one was fine, then they pretty much felt the same. Lack of a really strong Leon. type character, plus all of the sea battles made this horribly lackluster. Trailer looked great. Movie wasn't.

Archived