English Dubbed movies (2000 to date)

blue_skies

I know it's sacrilege but after watching loads of old school kung fu with bad English dubs, sometimes I'm actually choosing to watch the dub. So I was wondering what modern martial arts movies/Asian action films made after 2000 are still getting released with an English dub on the DVD? is there are already some kind of list somewhere?

so far we have…

- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

- Ong Bak (2003 - the one I saw was a UK dub on the HKL spin-off Premier Asia label)

- Tom Yum Goong (2005 - the dub I saw for this one was on the Dragon Dynasty US edit of the movie called 'The Protector', which re-dubbed the Thai actors English lines using an American dubber)

I think I recall my copy of The Rebel had an English dub on the Dragon Dynasty actually done by the actors?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer
I know it's sacrilege but after watching loads of old school kung fu with bad English dubs, sometimes I'm actually choosing to watch the dub.

So you mean you want to listen to the dub because it's bad, or do you mean in a so bad it's good kind of way?

So I was wondering what modern martial arts movies/Asian action films made after 2000 are still getting released with an English dub on the DVD?

Not sure how much help I can be on this one, because almost every HK made post-2000 movie which I've been interested in, I've purchased the HK DVD as soon as it becomes available....which naturally wouldn't include the dub.

But from what I can recall, a few post-2000 made movies which definitely have an English dub are -

- Ong Bak (2003 - the one I saw was a UK dub on the HKL spin-off Premier Asia label)

- Tom Yum Goong (2005 - the dub I saw for this one was on the Dragon Dynasty US edit of the movie called 'The Protector', which re-dubbed the Thai actors English lines using an American dubber)

Not sure how much help I can be on this one, because almost every HK made post-2000 movie which I've been interested in, I've purchased the HK DVD as soon as it becomes available....which naturally wouldn't include the dub.

But from what I can recall, a few post-2000 made movies which definitely have an English dub are -

thanks that's a start!

So you mean you want to listen to the dub because it's bad, or do you mean in a so bad it's good kind of way?

due to health reasons I'm usually very fatigued so don't watch as many Asian action/martial arts movies as I'd like because I have to read the subtitles. However I've been able to sit back and watch more dubbed kung fu, which while isn't ideal I am getting to watch more of what I want.:smile:

updated the first post

Morgoth Bauglir

Hey blue skies I missed this thread before. I hope you are doing ok.

Here's some I found real quick. Let me know if you need more.

Muay Thai Giant

Time and Tide

Special ID

Fireball

Chocolate

Oldboy

Ong Bak 2

The Kick

The Raid

House of Flying Daggers

Hero

Flash Point

Killzone

And I'm just going by what the DVD case says it includes. I'm not actually going to listen to these :bigsmile:

Quite a lot of Jackie Chan movies get English dubs (ED).

Shaolin Soccer got an ED though it's cut and uses different music in parts.

Kung Fu Hustle has an ED.

The 1st Infernal Affairs movie has an ED not sure about the sequels though. 

If Infernal Affairs didn't have an ED I'm not sure I could have convinced my father to watch this one, also to me at least I don't think the ED makes it feel that much less sophisticated. 

On 11/30/2014 at 6:12 PM, Morgoth Bauglir said:

Oldboy

I think I might like to track down an ED version of Oldboy to see if it feel significantly less sophisticated to me? Since I think it's more polished than most movies that get a dub. I tend to prefer EDs on old school kung fu (and maybe most action) movies partly because I doubt they have very sophisticated dialogue anyway, also while subs tend to be much more accurate translations, how accurate are they really? And how accurate do I really want/need in terms of a translation.

On 6/16/2013 at 5:51 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

The Ong Bak Premier Asia ED sounds like it was done by the same team that did the ED for the HKL of City on Fire and the Premier Asia of Ichi the Killer.

I'm pretty sure that ED for the HKL of City on Fire almost matched the subtitles on the same disc word for word.

Archived