Clans of Intrigue (German MIB DVD)

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Anyone got this?

What's the quality like... specs?

I'm looking for a PAL progressive anamorphic scope transfer and Mandarin mono with English subs.

Thanx!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stay away from any MIB DVDs if you want good Video Encodes. they're horrible encoded and sometimes even interlaced Conversions of the interlaced HK DVDs!

here's some good Comparison on what you can expect from MIB progressive DVDs:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?art=fullℑ=1&vergleich=the_five_deadly_venoms&action=1&lossless=0#vergleich

Killer Meteor
Anyone got this?

What's the quality like... specs?

I'm looking for a PAL progressive anamorphic scope transfer and Mandarin mono with English subs.

Thanx!

This was one of the batch which were all badly converted.

Best English friendly disc is probably the R4 edition, though that is non-anamorphic.

Guest Markgway

Thanks. I assumed that the progressive PAL transfers were 'safe'.

I already have four MIB DVDs (The Blood Brothers, Shaolin Temple, 12 Gold Medallions, The Water Margin) but haven't studied them in-depth. I hope those weren't among the crappy batches!

Clans of Intrigue isn't a must have for me, I was just thinking about it, so I'm not too gutted at missing out.

Letterboxed DVDs are a no go for me; they look poor on my TV. Besides the Siren DVDs are effing impossible to find now.

Killer Meteor
How bad is Boxer from Shantung?

It's a tad soft but not bad by any means. Subs are crappy but that's Celestial's doing.

Oily Maniac

The MIB DVDs are dirt cheap and mostly have the original mono soundtrack, so I'd pick them up. 4 or so of the 30 ish dvds have out-of-synch subs though.

Guest Markgway

Hey, which titles have OOS subs?

This is the kind of useful info that's bloody hard to find on the net.

Killer Meteor
Hey, which titles have OOS subs?

This is the kind of useful info that's bloody hard to find on the net.

Shadow Whip for sure, the Siren is much better there.

Are both CLANS and BOXER progressive at least?

BOXER looks like shit, badly encoded, but is progressive. the TVP DVD is much much better, but of course much more expensive also.

TibetanWhiteCrane

MIB isn't all bad..... I don't think you're gonna find better versions of Shaolin Temple and Chinese Boxer, for instance.

Shadow Whip for sure, the Siren is much better there.

Right, SHADOW WHIP had out-of-sync subs, so did HUMAN LANTERNS and MAGIC BLADE. There were a few more, if I remember correctly...

Generall speaking, the later MiB / Shaw issues were the worst (NTSC / PAL conversion problems, at times shoddy compression, a lotta small mistakes that point to a lack of final control, etc). Seems that they desperately tried to cut costs by that time, realizing that the sales were nowhere near what they expected.

Also, the "anamorphic issue"... yes, most were "anamorphic", but if I understood it correctly some of those were taken of non-anamorphic masters. For instance, I didn't feel that the German (or the uncut Austrian) "anamorphic" BLOOD BROTHERS looked any better than the non-anamorphic IVL. If anything I'd prefer the latter...

The artwork, the whole presentation of the MiB titles was pretty atrocious as well, no comparism to the IVL's. Not worth acquiring more than half a dozen or so titles of the MiB line in my opinion, not even for chump change.

MIB isn't all bad..... I don't think you're gonna find better versions of Shaolin Temple and Chinese Boxer, for instance.

You won't. Not of SHAOLIN TEMPLE at least. Haven't seen the TVP reissue of CHINESE BOXER, according to some sources this is supposedly clearly superior to the MiB disc.

Guest Markgway

TVP is out of my range... unless someone is willing to offer a generous trade (and I don't see that happening... lol). It's funny how we have so many net forums (and SB fans) and yet info on titles and comparisons etc., is so hard to find. In terms of must-have Shaw discs, I've got the few I really wanted (again, ignoring the TVP line). I guess the ones I'm asking about now (Clans, Boxer, etc.,) are second-tier, IMHO, and represent films I'm only willing to pick up if they tick all the spec boxes. It's ironic then that in a world of interlacing and letterboxing, the MIB titles with anamorphic, progressive transfers STILL look 'like shit'. Who said collecting was easy? If I see CLANS or BOXER for under a fiver anywhere I might take a punt - just how strict do I want to be? always a tough call - otherwise, back burner, long grass, etc...

Originally Posted by Markgway

It's ironic then that in a world of interlacing and letterboxing, the MIB titles with anamorphic, progressive transfers STILL look 'like shit'.

Talkin' about CHINESE BOXER, right? So it looks “like shit”? Really? Compared to fuckin’ what? Compared to the TVP reissue? (that I resisted buying until now; still carrying the faint hope that an HD issue is comin’ our way soon...) Or compared to what it could look like? Well, maybe. But anyway, I think to use that appellation for this particular MIB disc is simply an exaggeration I wouldn’t take too serious.

And as far as the “world of interlacing and letterboxing” is concerned... I actually don’t mind the ol’ letterboxing all that much, at least as long as aspect ratio is around 1:78.1 or 1:85.1.. Zoomed up and with adjusted subs (via subtitle shift on a ‘now generation’ player) I find a good number of the old Universe or Mei Ah discs at least tolerable. Anyway, certainly not one bit worse than watching the “anamorphic” Joy Sales ‘Legendary Collection’ titles. Bad, incoherent or lightning-fast subs bug me a lot more than letterboxing. But that’s just me.

Guest Markgway
Talkin' about CHINESE BOXER, right? So it looks “like shit”? Really? Compared to fuckin’ what? Compared to the TVP reissue? (that I resisted buying until now; still carrying the faint hope that an HD issue is comin’ our way soon...) Or compared to what it could look like? Well, maybe. But anyway, I think to use that appellation for this particular MIB disc is simply an exaggeration I wouldn’t take too serious.

Lol... I didn't say it, Spannick did!! :nerd:

As if by touch of fate... I ordered CLANS from Amazon Marketplace this afternoon: £3.71 NEW(!) shipped from Austria! Hopefully the encoding problems Spannick mentioned won't spoil what is presumably the best version (specs wise) we're likely to see (for a while at least...).

And as far as the “world of interlacing and letterboxing” is concerned... I actually don’t mind the ol’ letterboxing all that much, at least as long as aspect ratio is around 1:78.1 or 1:85.1.. Zoomed up and with adjusted subs (via subtitle shift on a ‘now generation’ player) I find a good number of the old Universe or Mei Ah discs at least tolerable. Anyway, certainly not one bit worse than watching the “anamorphic” Joy Sales ‘Legendary Collection’ titles. Bad, incoherent or lightning-fast subs bug me a lot more than letterboxing. But that’s just me.

I've never seen a good looking letterboxed transfer, and that goes for Hollywood movies, too. It's just so... fucking... unnecessary. You can shift the subs up - many TV stations do that - but it's very undesirable; a last resort for viewing, really. Most of the Joy Sales catalogue looks like shit, to coin a phrase, ahem... but they're better than nothing. Still, whining about them is good for the soul, apparently. Bad subs is a whole 'nother issue, which I don't have the strength at this time of night to rant about!!!

I have Chinese Boxer, Boxer from Shantung, Shaolin Temple and Clans of Intrigue from Wild Side Video from france on dvd and they all look great. Progressive and dual-layer dvds encode (8GB).... the only problems is no english audio or subtitles.

Guest Markgway
I have Chinese Boxer, Boxer from Shantung, Shaolin Temple and Clans of Intrigue from Wild Side Video from france on dvd and they all look great. Progressive and dual-layer dvds encode (8GB).... the only problems is no english audio or subtitles.

Pretty big problem if you don't speak Mandarin (or French).

i will make some comparison shots between Boxer MiB vs French DVD when i got time for it. i don't say such things if the stuff ain't really bad.

Killer Meteor
Any comments on The Emperor and His Brother (Todesduell im Kaiserpalast)?

I recall on the Mandarin track some lines had been re-dubbed by Celestial, likely because they were missing from the source?

Guest Markgway

Re. MIB's The Heroic Ones (Die 13 Sohne des Gelben Drachen)?

Mono, Progressive PAL, synced subs, etc...?

Thx.

Archived