Shaws on Blue-ray

Vladan AU

Hi, would there happen to be a list of all the Shaw's available on Blue-ray released in the USA or UK? not the Japanese ones. Checked Amazon.com, seems that's all there is, maybe 10? if that.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something like that, yeah. I have Heroes Two, The Five Deadly Venoms, Five Element Ninjas and Web of Death.

OTHER U.S. BLU RELEASES:

36th Chamber of Shaolin

Brothers Five

The Delightful Forest

Heroic Ones

All Men are Brothers

Deadly Duo

Also, there are a few releases that will play on US blu ray players; not released in the US. The One Arm Swordsman trilogy should still be available from dddhouse.com

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

The best Shaw Brothers Blu-Ray release I've seen is the German limited edition release of NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN. It is magnificent, featuring incredible picture quality, and even includes footage that was cut from the IVL/Celestial release! Plus, it comes in a gorgeous package as well, with lots of full color photos. No English subs. It has the Chinese and the original English dubbed audio tracks. :nerd:

we're far from having every good shaw on blu.....not sure if it's going to happen with celestial starting to release their movies on itunes.

I don't even understand how are you supposed to watch an itune movie on your hdtv?

I hope it won't be more than 5$ for an 1080p version, uncut, english subs.

we're far from having every good shaw on blu.....not sure if it's going to happen with celestial starting to release their movies on itunes.

I don't even understand how are you supposed to watch an itune movie on your hdtv?

I hope it won't be more than 5$ for an 1080p version, uncut, english subs.

You are probably going to need iTV or Apple TV as they use to call it. Its just one of those little boxes that hooks up to your hdtv so you can stream/download itunes movies. Guess they will probably do both rental and own. My concern is whether or not one can burn a disc from a downloaded itunes movie. I think there is an option to burn the songs on to cd. Not sure if you can burn movies to dvd. Or, you can watch it on your iPhone or computer. haha. And, knowing Apple, those movies probably gonna cost $3 or $4 to rent or $12 to $15 to own. Not sure why prices for downloads sell for the same price as hardware. I would say rip-off but then again, from what I hear, the physical media is on its way out.

you can buy movies via itunes, you don't need special hardware. you can't burn them or anything. it's restricted to exactly the computer / OS you have bought it. you can't copy it to another computer / OS and play it there. there's probably more options for users of other hardware, but i don't have anything else.

Secret Executioner
you can buy movies via itunes, you don't need special hardware. you can't burn them or anything. it's restricted to exactly the computer / OS you have bought it. you can't copy it to another computer / OS and play it there. there's probably more options for users of other hardware, but i don't have anything else.

So if your computer crashes you have to re-buy everything ? Geez, that sounds wonderful... Exactly why I despise the iTunes thing (and also the fact they make you pay the price of a physical product for a bunch fo files).

itunes HD look great! they DO also require internet validation in the background...

prices run more around the $15-25 range to "own" a movie.

Also! their disclaimer gives them the right to revoke!, edit, alter your bought movie at any time!

i go through a lot of effort to get uncut versions of movies from various regions.. this just sucks...

Well, every device that you authorize for your itunes account can play anything you have. So if you have an ipad, you can re-download all your stuff on there too. Also, if you do lose a purchase you can re-download. I've done it before.

And it IS possible to burn to a disc, but I don't know how. I haven't tried (I don't have any movies through my itunes). But a friend of mine who does everything with itunes once burned my a copy of some movies...

^ if your downloaded movie is in HD, it means you'll need a blu ray burner? most likely !

I don't know about all of this.... it seems very complicated compared to just pop a disc into your dvd/bluray player.

Itunes should have an option "Burn movie to Disc" or something.

Well, every device that you authorize for your itunes account can play anything you have. So if you have an ipad, you can re-download all your stuff on there too. Also, if you do lose a purchase you can re-download. I've done it before.

And it IS possible to burn to a disc, but I don't know how. I haven't tried (I don't have any movies through my itunes). But a friend of mine who does everything with itunes once burned my a copy of some movies...

yeah, but i only registered on my Windows PC. says what i said. and good luck burning a DRM protected HD-Movie... if it works out, tell me how :)

good luck burning a DRM protected HD-Movie... if it works out, tell me how :)

Yeah, never mind. The vids my friend made me weren't HD. Don't know what I was thinking when I said that...

thought i would mention that OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER was also available on blu ray.:nerd:

True, but if you have a copy, consider yourself VERY lucky. I managed to snag one of the few copies online before it went out of print.

Life Gamble was also going to have a blu-ray release, but it only made it to the test disc phase before BCI went out of business :sad:

thought i would mention that OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER was also available on blu ray.:nerd:

I don't have the real disc but I have a blu ray rip of it..... it looks great for sure.

itunes HD look great! they DO also require internet validation in the background...

prices run more around the $15-25 range to "own" a movie.

Also! their disclaimer gives them the right to revoke!, edit, alter your bought movie at any time!

i go through a lot of effort to get uncut versions of movies from various regions.. this just sucks...

so even if you pay stupid money for no physical object, they can essentially change the movie at any given time and let's say the Internet goes down, you've got some completely useless ones and zeros on your hard drive that will not play.:neutral:

Secret Executioner
so even if you pay stupid money for no physical object, they can essentially change the movie at any given time and let's say the Internet goes down, you've got some completely useless ones and zeros on your hard drive that will not play.:neutral:

Isn't progress a wonderful thing ? :nerd:

and when the licence time for the Movie THEY have runs out - does it play then still? like an out of print DVD i can play after it can be bought anymore?

and when the licence time for the Movie THEY have runs out - does it play then still? like an out of print DVD i can play after it can be bought anymore?

Oh wow I never even considered that. I know if you die you can't leave your iTunes collection to a loved one.

The craziest thing about these legal downloads for me is how much they charge (I mean beyond the other things with mentioned above).take for example the upcoming sixth season of The Big Bang Theory will set you back about $36 on DVD which you can own, loan and if you want to sell on. Or you could download the entire season for two dollars an episode totalling $48:squigglemouth:

Guest Markgway

For anyone here who pays for downloads... I have a timeshare property in Marbella you might be interested in..........

For anyone here who pays for downloads... I have a timeshare property in Marbella you might be interested in..........

haha that made me chuckle out loud:smile:

Guest Markgway

Noticed that Well Go's BD of The Heroic Ones apparently offers an original Mandarin mono track (compared to their DVD's 5.1 remix). Nice to see they listened to the fans on that one. Alas, the interlaced transfer remains (reportedly 1080i). Is the ghosting problematic? I bought WG's Web of Death BD (same specs) and was fine with that. I'd probably pass on an interlaced DVD, as I often notice the combing, but I figure it might be less noticeable on a BD? Opinions...

Heroic Ones BD by Well Go DOES NOT have the original mono. I compared it with my UK DVD which is true mono and its just a down-mix of the awful 5.1 with all the added fx. Sold my copy after i found that out which is a shame because the picture quality was excellent.

Archived