Did Dragon Dynasty get it right with any releases?

Shaolin Street Fighter

Shaolin Street Fighter

I'm a newcomer to Shaw Brothers on DVD & Blu-ray, and I've seen all sorts of complaints about Dragon Dynasty and their poor handling of the films.

I've been thinking about buying the following titles, so can anybody who has seen them tell me if they got it right with them (in terms of subtitling, video quality, audio, etc.)?

- 5 Deadly Venoms (Blu-ray)

- Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms (DVD)

- Flying Guillotine (DVD)

- Flying Guillotine 2 (DVD)

- Mad Monkey Kung Fu (DVD)

- 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (DVD)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i got all of them and i think they are great...the dvd's come without bonus material, but the picture quality, the subtitles and the audio are absolutly satisfying...the 5 venoms blu ray is probably one of the best shaw bd's, especially with the audio commentary etc...i can recommend the six releases....the dvd's are quite cheap i think...

i had no problem with any of their titles---and yes i bought every one of them. i only wish they would have continued, after all they still had some of the lost english dubs that i've been waiting for ie---THE FLYING DAGGER and INVINCIBLE FIST to name a few. now we have to wait and see if celestial and itunes get together for the north american dub releases. at least thats the story i've heard--that celestial will be giving itunes the download rights to ALL of it's dubs, including FLYING DAGGER, INVINCIBLE FIST, VENGEANCE IS A GOLDEN BLADE, DEADLY KNIVES and others. i would prefer actual dvds but i'll settle for downloads.

Shaolin Street Fighter

So all of the english dubs on the Dragon Dynasty releases are the original old school?

i had no problem with any of their titles---and yes i bought every one of them.

Not even the Blu-ray of 36th Chamber?

The uproar was pretty widespread.

Guest Markgway

= Subs aren't perfect, but otherwise recommended.

= Dubtitles, title change (from Crippled Avengers)

= Not sure about this one

= PAL conversion, otherwise good

= Missing original Cantonese dub

= Missing original Cantonese dub

Shaolin Street Fighter

= PAL conversion, otherwise good

Forgive my ignorance, but what is PAL conversion exactly?

I had another DVD a while back that I think was said to be PAL converted (Invincible Armour), and the picture had a really hectic and choppy feed to the point it wasn't even watchable.

jiujitsu77

I don't try and knock RZA. Ill be honest. He and wu tang were two of the reasons i learned to appreciate hip hop even more. but illl be goddamned if RZA would not stop calling the Mongols or the Manchus "Mongoloids" in the commentary iwith Andy Cline. Cline seemed to awe struck to correct him. my whole thing is this.....yes. RZA has a great grasp on the genre and the Chinese arts themselves....but for God's sakes, that was just plain ignorant. It just bugged me. I mean, i know it is hard to pronounce alot of words and names that are foreign to most people....but at least TRY when you know you are doing the commentary? I lost alot of respect for that man after listening to that commentary. Bey Logan and others should have said something to him

jiujitsu77

and furthermore....ill admit. im no PC thug, Amd alot of martial arts films don't worry too much about offending people with their dialogue. but for chrissakes.....get it fucking right. I actually felt offended.

shaolin swords

does any 1 know if there are going to be any new releases of kung fu flicks from dragon dynasty this year???

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I don't try and knock RZA. Ill be honest. He and wu tang were two of the reasons i learned to appreciate hip hop even more. but illl be goddamned if RZA would not stop calling the Mongols or the Manchus "Mongoloids" in the commentary iwith Andy Cline. Cline seemed to awe struck to correct him. my whole thing is this.....yes. RZA has a great grasp on the genre and the Chinese arts themselves....but for God's sakes, that was just plain ignorant. It just bugged me. I mean, i know it is hard to pronounce alot of words and names that are foreign to most people....but at least TRY when you know you are doing the commentary? I lost alot of respect for that man after listening to that commentary. Bey Logan and others should have said something to him

Yeah, that's whacked!

does any 1 know if there are going to be any new releases of kung fu flicks from dragon dynasty this year???

I thought I heard that the Dragon Dynasty label was done and gone... no?

In response to the thread's question- I thought the picture quality on 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN Blu-Ray was a downgrade from their DVD release. But the other BDs looked great. The image on the FIVE ELEMENT NINJA BD looks brilliant!

Shaolin Street Fighter

Their last release was April of last year, so I doubt it.

Kung fu cinema releases have come to a halt it seems. I wonder what the new company to step in and revive it will be.

shaolin swords

peace bob

I thought the company was still on because they still got a website and selling movies and stuff but I was wondering why they did not release any new films this year :tongue:

on another not im still looking for that chang cheh book I never orderd from that place in uk I read about a dozen of bad reviews about that website so I never orderd

if you come across any places that are selling the book please let me know

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I thought the company was still on because they still got a website and selling movies and stuff but I was wondering why they did not release any new films this year :tongue:

I wish they were. But... :squigglemouth:

on another not im still looking for that chang cheh book I never orderd from that place in uk I read about a dozen of bad reviews about that website so I never orderd

if you come across any places that are selling the book please let me know

I'll keep my eye out for it for you. :smile:

Shaolin Street Fighter

I watched 'Flying Guillotine' and 'Flying Guillotine 2'. Both enjoyable films, and the quality (video, audio) was satisfying. One thing I noticed is that every now and then certain spots of the film print would get blurry. Am I seeing things or is occasional spot blurriness a common case with all of Celestial's remasters? I read somewhere that they did this to remove blemishes. Somewhat of a shame.

Guest Markgway
One thing I noticed is that every now and then certain spots of the film print would get blurry.

That's probably due to PAL conversion.

TibetanWhiteCrane

No, that was part of the celestial remaster process. Like SSF said, they did that to hide blemishes, burns etc. that was beyond repair.

Noelle Shadow Kick
In response to the thread's question- I thought the picture quality on 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN Blu-Ray was a downgrade from their DVD release. But the other BDs looked great. The image on the FIVE ELEMENT NINJA BD looks brilliant!

Also the US Fist of Legend blu-ray is dubtitled. The dvd is not, so it's baffling. Also I'm pretty sure the UK version isn't dubtitled. So frustrating.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I'm a newcomer to Shaw Brothers on DVD & Blu-ray, and I've seen all sorts of complaints about Dragon Dynasty and their poor handling of the films.

I've been thinking about buying the following titles, so can anybody who has seen them tell me if they got it right with them (in terms of subtitling, video quality, audio, etc.)?

Also the US Fist of Legend blu-ray is dubtitled. The dvd is not, so it's baffling. Also I'm pretty sure the UK version isn't dubtitled. So frustrating.

Noelle, my comment was only in reference to the above titles that Shaolin Street Fighter had asked about.

But, since you brought it up... I didn't know that about the FIST OF LEGEND BD! Seriously? How lame. I kind of remembered the FIST OF LEGEND DVD was partially dubtitled? In fact, the reason I never picked up the DD BD is because of the problems with the DD DVD release. Honestly, I can't even remember now what all the things were that are wrong with it. I think I posted about it... somewhere here on the forum... a long time ago... possibly in a galaxy far, far away. :tongue:

Noelle, my comment was only in reference to the above titles that Shaolin Street Fighter had asked about.

But, since you brought it up... I didn't know that about the FIST OF LEGEND BD! Seriously? How lame. I kind of remembered the FIST OF LEGEND DVD was partially dubtitled? In fact, the reason I never picked up the DD BD is because of the problems with the DD DVD release. Honestly, I can't even remember now what all the things were that are wrong with it. I think I posted about it... somewhere here on the forum... a long time ago... possibly in a galaxy far, far away. :tongue:

Bob, if you can get it, and you have a multi region player, the UK BD of Fist of Legend isn't perfect, but it's not dubtitled.

Noelle Shadow Kick

Oops! Sorry. Haha, I get worked up whenever I think about that blu-ray being dubtitled when the dvd isn't. All I see is "Dragon Dynasty" and "BD" and I feel the need to rant lol.:nerd:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Bob, if you can get it, and you have a multi region player, the UK BD of Fist of Legend isn't perfect, but it's not dubtitled.

I do have one sir. I'll look into that UK BD, thanks.

Oops! Sorry. Haha, I get worked up whenever I think about that blu-ray being dubtitled when the dvd isn't. All I see is "Dragon Dynasty" and "BD" and I feel the need to rant lol.:nerd:

Your rants are always welcome Noelle. :wink:

Archived