Shirley Yu Sha-Li (RIP)

teako170

Just heard that Shaw Bros veteran Shirley Yu passed away of cancer recently. While once having a glamorous lifestyle, she apparently fell upon harder times financially in her later years. Have not been able to locate any URLs yet on her passing. RIP Shirley....

From HKMDb....

A Shanghainese originally named Yu Pei-Fang, Yu graduated from Hong Kong New Method College. Her acting debut was Anti-corruption in 1975, followed by Secret Mission that same year. She caught the attention of auteur Li Han-Hsiang in 1976, and became a female lead in his film Love Swindlers. With her sexy bombshell image, Yu was an overnight sensation in the industry. She joined Shaw Brothers as a basic actress afterwards. Yu has starred in a number of Li Han-Hsiang's films, including Crazy Sex, The Sensual Pleasures, Moods of Love, and The Scandalous Warlord. An icon in the adult-themed genre, her other famous works are The Call-girls, Dreams of Eroticism, and The Ghost Story. Yu was married to fellow Shaw Brothers actor Chan Shen in 1976, but their marriage ended in divorce

shirley1.jpg

shirley2.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reel Power Stunts

From the late 90's onwards she could often be found around Lan Kwai Fong in the evenings, selling handmade jewellery in the street. I wonder how many passersby knew she was once a Shaw Bros starlet. Sad.

Cloud Hands

That's sad, she can't have been old. I most remember her in Life Gamble, using her ample charms to villainous ends.

Guest Markgway

I think we would be surprised at just how many at-one-time-famous performers end up on the scrap heap of life. My guess is that Yu would've been around sixtyish, maybe a little younger? R.I.P.

Eastern Evil

Wow! She was married to Chan Shen??

That dude was soooo crazy looking, but I really think he was such a good actor - among the best of Shaw/acting wise. He was just so sick - He pulled his freakin' eyeballs out in 'The Jade Tiger'!!!

I mean, what more do you really need to do?? :biggrin: Whatever it would be, he could do it.

He was just sick...one of the best!!!!

Sorry, Shirley, but he is gone too & needed his props....

You were badass also, Shirley....:kiss:

Skeleton Claw

RIP Shirley Yu. :(

Thought she was great in Life Gamble especially.

And yeah, over the years, Chan Shen has become one of my favorite character actors in the Shaw stable. You could always depend on him to give a memorable performance. That said, he was totally unpredictable. Bonkers at times. His turn in "Lost Souls" just pushed an already sicko movie completely over the edge! From what I understand, his marriage to Shirley Yu lasted all but a few hours!

Archived