Corey Yuen's best work

It's such a shame that the man does so awful in action choreography these days. On the other hand, it's safe to say that he has been responsible for some of the best Hong Kong action movies, particularly in the 80s and 90s. Which movies would you say gives Yuen Kwai a place among the Hong Kong choreography greats?

My choices:

Yes, Madam!

Righting Wrongs

No Retreat No Surrender

She Shoots Straight

Shanghai Shanghai

Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2

The New Legend of Shaolin

The Bodyguard from Beijing

My Father is a Hero

Lethal Weapon 4

X-Men

Kiss of the Dragon

The Transporter

Red Cliff

It's such a shame that the man does so awful in action choreography these days. On the other hand, it's safe to say that he has been responsible for some of the best Hong Kong action movies, particularly in the 80s and 90s. Which movies would you say gives Yuen Kwai a place among the Hong Kong choreography greats?

My choices:

Yes, Madam!

Righting Wrongs

No Retreat No Surrender

She Shoots Straight

Shanghai Shanghai

Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2

The New Legend of Shaolin

The Bodyguard from Beijing

My Father is a Hero

Lethal Weapon 4

X-Men

Kiss of the Dragon

The Transporter

Red Cliff

The first two alone would get the job done; a pair of classics they are.

gwailosforever

Great work in all of those.

Was I the only one that thought he did a good job recently on 'Shaolin'?

The Blonde Fury shouldn't be dismissed. Corey Yuen's 80's moderns easily rivals those of Woo Ping and even Sammo as well as Jackie.

Great work in all of those.

I agree with you...I was impressed with the work in Shaolin. However, I can't totally blame him for his unimpressive choreography...sometimes, producers feel they can do a better job of editing fight scenes and that can take away the vision of the choreographer.

Personally, I would like to see him redeem himself now that they announced that there will be TRANSPORTER 4,5,and 6. Let Yuen control the editing and not let the producers get in the way.

Drunken Monk

I'm with you. I think the choreography in "Shaolin" is great with only Jackie Chan's action scenes being hard to watch.

In fact, I'd be happy to see him stick to that style/caliber of work but the trailer to "Badges of Fury" reminded me he's back to his normal tricks.

But then I do find it odd that I hate his wire work but loved it in his 90's films. The "Fong Sai Yuk" films are some of my favourites of that period and they have some of wildest wire work of all time.

I wonder why I accept it in those older films but not today.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Quite natural to accept certain traits, gags or genre conventions specific to a particular era of filmmaking. Im the same way.

But then I do find it odd that I hate his wire work but loved it in his 90's films. The "Fong Sai Yuk" films are some of my favourites of that period and they have some of wildest wire work of all time. I wonder why I accept it in those older films but not today.

Simple: Over-abuse of digitally enhanced film-making. I think if done right (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero, Dragon Tiger Gate), today's wirework can be as fun as classical ones. In the case of Badges of Fury, it's probably the shoddy look of the wirework (whoever dealt with the lighting/cinematography did a bad job) but also the way it's lensed that puts people off (me included).

The Blonde Fury shouldn't be dismissed. Corey Yuen's 80's moderns easily rivals those of Woo Ping and even Sammo as well as Jackie.

Agree on both counts. Look at the fights and pacing in Yes Madam and Righting Wrongs and point out any modern action film from that period that tops them. Blonde Fury gets an undeserved bad rap because of Rothrock's changing hair length.:nerd: But beyond that bit of business, it can stand alongside the other two easily.

Omni Dragon

NINJA IN THE DRAGON'S DEN is a good one that's not been mentioned.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Is there a US release of "The Blonde Fury?" I just watched the trailer and it looks bananas; especially the fight on the netting!

Is there a US release of "The Blonde Fury?" I just watched the trailer and it looks bananas; especially the fight on the netting!

Tai Seng released it, but it now seems OOP. You can get it on Amazon used for $50.00 or brand new for a mere $500.00. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Drunken Monk
Tai Seng released it, but it now seems OOP. You can get it on Amazon used for $50.00 or brand new for a mere $500.00. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

$500, huh? I better buy two just in case one gets scratched!

shaolin swords

500 bucks that's crazy :squigglemouth:

corey did his best work in the 70's, but cant hate on blonde fury good modern hate in that one anyone know who the stray thai fighter was who took on rothrock ?

TibetanWhiteCrane

I know his name but im blanking on it right now. Went searching for it, when I first saw the film.

Cognoscente
On 5/26/2013 at 10:27 PM, DiP said:

Corey's style is the most modern of them all. Even Sammo fumbled a bit when he first tried to do modern MA, but Corey knocked it out of the park right away.

• Like 1

Late to the party, but:

Hell's Wind Staff

Ninja in the Dragon's Den

Yes, Madam!

Righting Wrongs

Fong Sai Yuk

My Father is a Hero

Kiss of the Dragon

• Like 2