Phantom Thief (Hwang Jang-Lee)

monkeygift

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
monkeygift
And then an FLK release two weeks after:tongue::crossedlips:

You are generous, I would say more like 1 week, with "tape roll" removed! lol

Anyhow, we are checking the possibility of a fundraise for this one.

monkeygift
I found this link.. Is this it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366525/recommendations

Original title: Goedochulma (original title)?

GD Y-Y

Don't check IMDB for Asian films, it's the worse database ever!

Here's a proper info link for Phantom Thief:

Phantom Thief

@Sevket - Yes, the film is amazing and features some great swordplay which is quite unique for Hwang Jang-Lee.

Don't check IMDB for Asian films, it's the worse database ever!

Here's a proper info link for Phantom Thief:

Phantom Thief

@Sevket - Yes, the film is amazing and features some great swordplay which is quite unique for Hwang Jang-Lee.

I got to watch it

I got banned from their forums for talking about this! Does anyone know if the other languages on their re-branded release are legit translations, or some google translate mish-mash?

I've always wanted to compare their From The Highway DVD with The Fusubs one to see if they lifted the translation.

And then an FLK release two weeks after:tongue::crossedlips:

I got banned from their forums for talking about this! Does anyone know if the other languages on their re-branded release are legit translations, or some google translate mish-mash?

I've always wanted to compare their From The Highway DVD with The Fusubs one to see if they lifted the translation.

I'm 99.9% sure they used our subs (most of which came from Falkor's camera job). Back then I sent a copy to my friend in Italy who had provided the original 35mm print transferred on DVD (who's also a friend of FLK's owner). Not much later it appeared on their site (like all FuSubs titles which have been re-labeled «FLK projects».....). Can't talk about the other subs they offer, Who cares! Anyone ready to pay 25£ + shipping for a DVD-R that takes 4 weeks plus to be delivered has money to waste...However, everyone is entitled to spend their money as they see fit! FuSubs version is available for free on ADC. I'm curious to know how they got a 90 minutes duration as the FuSubs version made from the 35mm Italian reels has a 79 minutes duration......Maybe they found a lost 11 minutes somewhere.

monkeygift

Got no clue, but it's probably going to surface on a torrent site at some point. My bet is that they grabbed the same master and tweaked it their own way.

I'm 99.9% sure they used our subs (most of which came from Falkor's camera job). Back then I sent a copy to my friend in Italy who had provided the original 35mm print transferred on DVD (who's also a friend of FLK's owner). Not much later it appeared on their site (like all FuSubs titles which have been re-labeled «FLK projects».....). Can't talk about the other subs they offer, Who cares! Anyone ready to pay 25£ + shipping for a DVD-R that takes 4 weeks plus to be delivered has money to waste...However, everyone is entitled to spend their money as they see fit! FuSubs version is available for free on ADC. I'm curious to know how they got a 90 minutes duration as the FuSubs version made from the 35mm Italian reels has a 79 minutes duration......Maybe they found a lost 11 minutes somewhere.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is FLK ?

TibetanWhiteCrane

A bootleg operation with some rather dodgy bussines practices, and one of the most excentric, hypocritical, passive agressive kf forums you'll ever come across...... IMO.

A bootleg operation with some rather dodgy bussines practices, and one of the most excentric, hypocritical, passive agressive kf forums you'll ever come across...... IMO.

So is it the name of the release group or a website ?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Both... it stands for Friendly Likable Knowledgable.... I try not to chuckle as im typing this. Though to be fair, the Knowledgable part is true.

I got banned from their forums for talking about this! .

Of course! They also remove posts and rename threads when it's negative for them. As I said before, who cares? Maybe the 10-12 who posts there once in a while.....I did meet a few great collectors there with whom I'm still in touch. Very nice and knowledgeable collectors (like PollyPolly, Goldy and a couple more).

Everyone sells everybody's projects. It's just how it is, I guess. Sometimes, its more surprising than others, like when people who know each other well sell their acquaintances' projects, as in the case of "Please Miss". Others do the same, too. That's why you have to make sure your costs are covered before putting the DVD out there. I know Jamal has lost money. It's a risky business. :P

monkeygift
Everyone sells everybody's projects. It's just how it is, I guess...

Well yes and no. Bigrogie and FLK are at the top of the list for that practice! I've never seen (yet) Jamal selling others projects... Some groups might have similar titles but done differently with a better or worse master or featuring additional scenes, audio tracks, bonuses etc.

But when it comes down to purely get someone else's project and a short time after just sell it for half the price that's truly unrespectful and selfish.

exemple here of Bigrogie selling CANTON VIPER, a project that took us over a year to complete and cost us nearly 1000$. Thanks Rogie :squigglemouth:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/canton-viper-hwang-jang-lee-dvd-subs-1983-124157955

Now, I don't want to open a pandora's box on that topic because it is not the point but let's just say that I was very desapointed and sad to see that being sold cheaply by Roger, would have even prefer to see it on a torrent!

That being said, that's why we are going for a fundraise for PHANTOM THIEF otherwise this kind of situation will just happen again. So, the fundraise will have to reach its goal otherwise the movie is not going to be released, at least not by us.

I know exactly what you mean - I didn't mean to implicate Jamal. He is a stand up guy. There's a lot of politics with these projects that would surprise people. Makes the War of The Three Kingdoms look easy! If Chor Yuan isn't doing anything, he should direct a new Wuxia and we can call it "DVD Projects Of Intrigue" or "Heroes Sell No Projects"!

Well yes and no. Bigrogie and FLK are at the top of the list for that practice! I've never seen (yet) Jamal selling others projects... Some groups might have similar titles but done differently with a better or worse master or featuring additional scenes, audio tracks, bonuses etc.

But when it comes down to purely get someone else's project and a short time after just sell it for half the price that's truly unrespectful and selfish.

exemple here of Bigrogie selling CANTON VIPER, a project that took us over a year to complete and cost us nearly 1000$. Thanks Rogie :squigglemouth:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/canton-viper-hwang-jang-lee-dvd-subs-1983-124157955

Now, I don't want to open a pandora's box on that topic because it is not the point but let's just say that I was very desapointed and sad to see that being sold cheaply by Roger, would have even prefer to see it on a torrent!

That being said, that's why we are going for a fundraise for PHANTOM THIEF otherwise this kind of situation will just happen again. So, the fundraise will have to reach its goal otherwise the movie is not going to be released, at least not by us.

First. FLK sells all their movies as THEIR projects (including official commercial releases). I don't say they're mine, I just sell them cheap so anyone can buy them at a cheap price rather than the $10-$15-$20-$25+ find on other sites. Some people like it, some don't. After 10 years, I can say that most people like to be able to get these movies for cheap, Not everyone likes to do torrents, upload, seeding, etc....).

Second, Canton Viper? I put it out a few months after you released it. I think I sold 2 copies in 2 months! It's a very bad seller. However, would you like to know how many collectors are emailing me to know if I have this or that title of the HoundslowTeam because they can never reach anyone of your team or get answers to their emails? At least once a week! Maybe you should pay more attention to your buyers' base.

Third, Jamal knows very well that I sell many of his projects. Again, I don't sell them as mine, simply as movies. See, I have a gentleman agreement with Jamal for many years. Jamal mostly sells his new projects when he releases them (in the first few weeks or first month, after that zilch, zero, nada, he'll tell you himself). So I never put for sale, when I do, any of his new projects for at least 3 months until they're out. By the time I put them out it's been a long time that his regular buyers have already bought them and can even be seen on ADC. I even provided some of the LD prints he used for some of his modern projects.

As HAZ said, get the money you want first before releasing a custom DVD-R then forget it about it because it will be sold, traded and put on torrents. Don't be so offended. Did you ever asked yourself if you had the right to use an existing print, add your own subs and sell it as your own project because you subbed it? I'm sure you have bought the legal rights to the print, to the music track therein and got permission to sub it and to sell it......

Good luck with your Phantom Thief project. I wish for you to reach your goal.

monkeygift
First. FLK sells all their movies as THEIR projects (including official commercial releases). I don't say they're mine, I just sell them cheap so anyone can buy them at a cheap price rather than the $10-$15-$20-$25+ find on other sites. Some people like it, some don't. After 10 years, I can say that most people like to be able to get these movies for cheap, Not everyone likes to do torrents, upload, seeding, etc....).

Second, Canton Viper? I put it out a few months after you released it. I think I sold 2 copies in 2 months! It's a very bad seller. However, would you like to know how many collectors are emailing me to know if I have this or that title of the HoundslowTeam because they can never reach anyone of your team or get answers to their emails? At least once a week! Maybe you should pay more attention to your buyers' base.

Third, Jamal knows very well that I sell many of his projects. Again, I don't sell them as mine, simply as movies. See, I have a gentleman agreement with Jamal for many years. Jamal mostly sells his new projects when he releases them (in the first few weeks or first month, after that zilch, zero, nada, he'll tell you himself). So I never put for sale, when I do, any of his new projects for at least 3 months until they're out. By the time I put them out it's been a long time that his regular buyers have already bought them and can even be seen on ADC. I even provided some of the LD prints he used for some of his modern projects.

As HAZ said, get the money you want first before releasing a custom DVD-R then forget it about it because it will be sold, traded and put on torrents. Don't be so offended. Did you ever asked yourself if you had the right to use an existing print, add your own subs and sell it as your own project because you subbed it? I'm sure you have bought the legal rights to the print, to the music track therein and got permission to sub it and to sell it......

Good luck with your Phantom Thief project. I wish for you to reach your goal.

Wow, no need to be so defensive Roger, I was just pointing out the type of action that destroys projects (you should know what I mean since you invested sweat and tears in Fusubs). Again, I don't want to open the whole discussion on that subject over again, fans/buyers can make their own mind.

As for the legal aspect you mentioned you should know very well (as you are a lawyer I presume?!) that those old films are mostly from the public domain. Now, I do not think that the Canadian law approves of selling bootlegs massively from the Quebec territory, the last time I've check Berne act was only valid in the States.

Btw, for the Phantom Thief fundraise Falkor volunteered to help, which is very kind of him. :bigsmile:

Archived