Falcon Rising (formerly 'Favela') (2014)

ShaOW!linDude

Drunken Monk
Here's the trailer. Some great looking fights in there.

ncsx6tMRfrk

Holy shit...that actually looks way better than the terrible poster would have us believe.

I totally agree...plus with Ernie Barbarash at the helm, I know this is going to be one hell of an action film...hope it does well enough to start up a new action franchise..that's the rumor going on :)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

This looks awesome! :bigsmile:

MJW is definitely one of the best martial arts action stars ever, and I wish we'd see him in more starring roles. I noticed he's using the nunchaku in this, and I am thrilled! It's got to be better than the terrible scene the nunchaku got in the otherwise great BUSHIDO MAN.

I will pre-order this the second it's available.

I couldn't agree more....MJW is an amazing martial artist and a good actor!! I'm really looking forward to this movie!!

Looks good. Looks like the camera won't be shaking. Larnell. From the look of it, the original title fit it perfectly and the name change does not.

The movie is actually a good surprise (from Barbarash). MJW is badass as ever and the setting and production value are more than decent compared to a lot of action DTVs out there these days.

The film is now available in limited theatrical release and on VoD. I watched it on the latter last night and my review of the film is now on the main site...

The final scene of the film reveals why they changed the title to "Falcon Rising"...

One Armed Boxer
The film is now available in limited theatrical release and on VoD.

I will 100% be buying this once it hits dvd, so I don't feel bad trying to find it online.

Gwai LO....Albert has stated quite clearly that it's available on VoD, which essentially removes your need to "find it online" for a price which amounts to less than $4. That way you can watch it online and support the movie as well.

Of course it is each and every forum members choice how they decide to watch the latest releases, however in future I'd perhaps suggest refraining from posting single line posts which essentially translate to "I'm going to illegally download this movie." All you're doing is encouraging piracy on new releases, regardless of whether you're doing it directly or indirectly, your disclaimer that you're going to buy it once it hits DVD does little to make it any better.

Gwai LO....Albert has stated quite clearly that it's available on VoD, which essentially removes your need to "find it online" for a price which amounts to less than $4. That way you can watch it online and support the movie as well.

Of course it is each and every forum members choice how they decide to watch the latest releases, however in future I'd perhaps suggest refraining from posting single line posts which essentially translate to "I'm going to illegally download this movie." All you're doing is encouraging piracy on new releases, regardless of whether you're doing it directly or indirectly, your disclaimer that you're going to buy it once it hits DVD does little to make it any better.

To be honest I didn't know what VOD was.. But after a quick google.. I already figured it out and rented it.. About to settle in and watch it now :)

• Administrator

I watched this via video on demand on Sunday night. I really dug it!

I'm not going to get into all the plot details. If you watch the trailer then you know the story. But I'll say this- it's a tight little flick that features a good story, and great action. Though it's certainly not anything ultra-original plot-wise, the script is still solid, it features an interesting location, and the side characters are as worthy of screen-time as the lead.

Michael Jai White gets to stretch his acting chops more than is typical for an "action hero role", and he doesn't disappoint. He is one of my favorite martial arts actors making films today, and this film only helps cement him in that spot for me. I like that physically he is as imposing as ever, but that the filmmakers and star weren't afraid to make him a real person with vulnerabilities, of both his emotions and soul. I got a little bit of a Martin Riggs (of the first LETHAL WEAPON) feeling from his character, but without quite the same level of explicit zaniness. He's damaged, struggling, and extremely dangerous. He is desperately in need of a purpose, and he gets it when his sister (played by Muhammad Ali's daughter, Laila Ali) gets into trouble.

The action scenes, I am thrilled to say, are shot so that you can clearly see and appreciate what is going on. What a concept! :smile: Sending out a big thank you to director Ernie Barbarash and fight choreographer/stunt coordinator Larnell StovallI for doing it right. I've probably said this before, but I love that when MJW fights (in this, and some of his other flicks) that they really have him utilize his incredible strength in conjunction with his martial arts skills. He's doing things that he could do, that the typical guy can't. Like for instance, there's a bit where a guy rushes him. He neutralizes the guy's attack, then he throws the guy into the air and kicks him in mid-flight, sending him flying into other attackers. It may sound OTT, but it looks perfect! Despite thinking I had glimpsed them in the trailer, there are No Nunchaku in the film. :squigglemouth: I must've caught a glimpse of the tonfas in the trailer and mistook them for chucks. Yes... tonfas. :nerd: They are really some kind of pipes, but he uses them like the traditional Okinawan weapon, and these parts were sweet! He also uses knives, guns, and plenty of unarmed combat.

I think that this is easily Lateef Crowder's best role. He may have had bigger, longer action showcases in other films, but here he gets to be a character too. His first big scene is a standout.

7.5 out of 10

Please rent or buy this film and support these little movies so that we can see more of them get made. :nerd: Friends in the industry have been telling me that it's getting damn near impossible to get martial arts movies made these days, because the majority of the demographic that they are aimed at, are the same people that have the highest rate of illegally downloading films. :ooh: We would already be watching UNDISPUTED 4 if there hadn't been so many self-righteous, falsely entitled people stealing UNDISPUTED 3 off the net. :neutral: If it's some unreleased kung fu film from 40 years ago that you can't find by any other means... well, that's one thing... But you owe it to the hard-working people that make these films for our entertainment to pay for the enjoyment of watching them. $8 to see it in HD via Video On Demand in the comfort of your own home is a very fair price. That's only half of what a theater ticket costs. The film is also playing a limited theatrical run too, so check your local listings. If you don't want to pay to watch it On Demand, then decide based on reviews and your instinct if it's worth it, and pay the $15 for the official DVD release in 5 weeks. Do the right thing people. As a Beast-Man once aptly put it- "Are we not men (of honor)?!" Sure, I paraphrased a bit, but you get what I'm saying. :wink:

Ah fucking Hell. I just fell off my soapbox. :cry: