Is there a list of all R1 Dvd that are non-anamorphic ?

kevenz

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I've been browsing the different topics for a while.

I just started building a collection of SB in dvd but I've read that some of them aren't anamorphic.

1.The Master by Tokyo Shock

2.Heroes Shed No Tears by Well Go.

3.Duel of Fists by Well Go.

4.Swordsman & Enchantress by Well Go.

Thanks for your response.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hi Kevenz, welcome to the forum. :bigsmile:

Just to be clear, as some people don't know the difference... All of the region 3 Shaw Brothers releases from IVL/Celestial, and all of the region 1 Shaw Brothers releases (from Tokyo Shock/Media Blasters, Funimation, etc.) are all widescreen/letterboxed. So you won't have to deal with any full-screen, or cropping of image on a SB film unless you accidentally buy an old bootleg.

Anamorphic, or 16x9, means that the widescreen image is set up to fill your widescreen TV.

If you already understood all of that, please don't think I was trying to insult your intelligence. But some people don't know or understand those terms.

There are only a few R1 releases that aren't anamorphic, and I know the R1 of THE MASTER (as you've already mentioned) is one. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Most widescreen TVs have an option in the "aspect ratio" part of their menus where you can zoom a non-anamorphic image. It's not quite as clear, but it does fill the screen if a bigger picture is what you want.

blue_skies

it's a pity there isn't a comprehensive list of anamorphic widescreen kung fu and martial arts releases on the forum.

Kung Fu Bob: Thanks to be honest I was a bit confused, now I understand that anamorphic means no black bars are encoded in the dvd itself.

The Master is actualy encoded with black bars ?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Kung Fu Bob: Thanks to be honest I was a bit confused, now I understand that anamorphic means no black bars are encoded in the dvd itself.

The Master is actualy encoded with black bars ?

Okay, good. You never know who knows what, you know? :smile: LOL But when I worked at a video store I met a lot of people that were extremely confused by this stuff. I will post some photos in a bit to show you.

Archived