Some more action packed Shaw kung fu recommendations

blue_skies

blue_skies

I was watching Monkey Kung Fu last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was wondering if there's any other titles that are going under the radar that featured great kung fu that I should be looking into. I've been enjoying lots of the Venoms titles and stuff by Lau Kar Leung, so something more along those lines. So movies with fast, energetic,grounded kung fu, maybe features some acrobatic skills and most importantly is not filled with wire work or swordplay and no bashers. Preferably with plenty of openhanded fighting and intricate choreography, although I do like good weapon work.:tongue:

thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

The first two that popped into my mind are:

FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS (1979, aka. The Drunken Fighter; Superfighters; The Super Fighters)

and

MONKEY KUNG FU (1979, aka. Stroke of Death; Drunk Fighter)

They're both somewhat lesser known classics that feature fantastic kung fu action. Here are more titles that seem to fit your criteria. You've probably seen some of the more obvious titles. But I didn't want to leave anything out just in case you somehow missed them.

AVENGING EAGLE (1978, aka. Cold Blooded Eagles; Shaolin Hero; The Twelve Deadly Assassins; )

BOXER REBELLION (1976, aka. Bloody Avengers; Spiritual Fists; )

CHALLENGE OF THE MASTERS (1976)

CHINATOWN KID, THE (1977)

CHINESE SUPER NINJAS (1982, aka. Super Ninjas; Five Element Ninjas)

CRIPPLED AVENGERS (1978, aka. Mortal Combat; Return of the Five Deadly Venoms; Avengers Handicapped)

DIRTY HO (1979)

DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN (1975, aka. Invincible One; Hung Boxing Kid)

DISCIPLES OF THE 36TH CHAMBER (1985, aka. Disciples of the Master Killer)

DRUNKEN MONKEY (2002)

EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER (1984, aka. Invincible Pole Fighter; Magnificent Pole Fighter)

EXECUTIONERS OF DEATH (1977, aka. Executioners of Shaolin; Shaolin Executioner)

FISTS OF THE WHITE LOTUS (1980, aka. Clan of the White Lotus)

FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS (aka. Five Shaolin Masters of Death)

FLAG OF IRON, THE (1980, aka. The Spearman; The Spearman of Death)

GRANDMASTER OF DEATH (1976, aka. Grandmaster of Kung Fu; Demon Fists of Kung Fu; New Shaolin Boxers; Choy Lay Fat Kid; Mad Boy; Silly Boy)

HEROES OF THE EAST (1978, aka. Challenge of the Ninja; Shaolin Challenges Ninja)

HEROES TWO (1974, aka. Heroes 2; Kung Fu Invaders; Bloody Fists; Bloody Brothers; Fang Shih Yu and Hung Hsi Kuan)

INSTRUCTORS OF DEATH (1981, aka. Martial Club)

INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN (1977, aka. Unbeatable Dragon; North Shaolin VS South Shaolin; Shaolin Bloodshed)

KID FROM KWANGTUNG (1982, aka. Kwangtung Warriors)

KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM, THE (1979, aka. The Kid With The Golden Arms)

KILLER ARMY (1980, aka. Guerilla; Guerillas; Rebel Intruders)

KUNG FU INSTRUCTOR (1979)

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF KUNG FU (1982, aka. Legendary Weapons of China; New Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu)

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS, THE (1979, aka. Destroyers of the Five Deadly Venoms; The Destroyers)

MAGNIFICENT WANDERS (1977, aka. Magnificent Kung Fu Warriors; Magnificent Warriors, The Heroic Event)

MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN (1986, aka. Shaolin Temple 3; North & South Shaolin; Arahan)

MASKED AVENGERS (1981)

MEN FROM THE MONASTERY (1974, aka. Disciples of Death)

MY YOUNG AUNTIE (1981, aka. The Elder; Fangs of the Tigress)

NEW SHAOLIN BOXER (1976, aka. Grandmaster of Kung Fu; Grandmaster of Death; Demon Fists of Kung Fu; New Shaolin Boxers; Choy Lay Fat Kid; Mad Boy; Silly Boy)

OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER (1984, aka. Master of the Hung Clan; The Lightning Fists of Shaolin)

RETURN OF THE MASTER KILLER (1980, aka. Master Killer II; Return to the 36th Chamber; Scaffolding Kung Fu)

SHAOLIN AVENGERS (1976, aka. Invincible Kung Fu Brothers)

SHAOLIN INTRUDERS (1983, aka. Battle For Shaolin)

SHAOLIN MANTIS (1978, aka. Deadly Mantis; Deadly Shaolin Mantis)

SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS (1974)

SHAOLIN PRINCE (1983, aka. Death Mask of the Ninja; Iron Fingers of Death; Iron Fingers of Shaolin; Prince of Shaolin; Wu Tang Prince)

SHAOLIN RESCUERS (1979, aka. Avenging Warriors of Shaolin; Avenging Warriors)

SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976, aka. Death Chamber; Death Chambers)

THREE EVIL MASTERS (1980, aka. The Master; 3 Evil Masters)

Hope this list helps. If you have questions about any specific titles, let 'em fly.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Go with some of Sun Chung's better movies like Kung Fu Instructor and My Rebellious Son.

blue_skies

thanks for the list Bob.:bigsmile:

I have seen quite a number of them and have quite a few already to watch as well. Five Superfighters was exactly the kind of movie I was hoping there was more of, that was a cracking movie, still there's a good handful I'll try and get to see.

I was wondering will be pre-1977 movies still have the same intricate choreography and quick kinetic energy? While I have some Shaw Bros movies made before 77(mostly unwatched at this point), I've tended to pick out those made after.

Tex Killer

While Shaws had best production values, I think you should expand your search outside Shaw studios. In pure action packed fu you will not go wrong with secret rivals1&2, eagles claw, incredible kung-fu mission, leg fighters, rebellious reign, snake in the monkeys shadow, snake deadly act etc...

Of Shaws boxer from the temple might be one you are looking for..

Kid with a tattoo has some OK fu also

I like young vagabond

All have some comedy but it`s not as bad as in "the master" or "crazy shaolin disciples":tongue:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
thanks for the list Bob.:bigsmile:

I have seen quite a number of them and have quite a few already to watch as well. Five Superfighters was exactly the kind of movie I was hoping there was more of, that was a cracking movie, still there's a good handful I'll try and get to see.

I was wondering will be pre-1977 movies still have the same intricate choreography and quick kinetic energy? While I have some Shaw Bros movies made before 77(mostly unwatched at this point), I've tended to pick out those made after.

You're welcome.

Have you seen MONKEY KUNG FU yet?

The farther back you go, the less intricate the action is. But anything from around 1974 on is still pretty damn good!

While Shaws had best production values, I think you should expand your search outside Shaw studios. In pure action packed fu you will not go wrong with secret rivals1&2, eagles claw, incredible kung-fu mission, leg fighters, rebellious reign, snake in the monkeys shadow, snake deadly act etc...

These are all excellent recommendations.

If you are going outside of the Shaw cannon in your search, I'd add:

THE VICTIM

WARRIORS TWO

DANCE OF THE DRUNKEN MANTIS

INVINCIBLE ARMOR

SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW

DRUNKEN MASTER

IRON MONKEY (1977)

PRODIGAL SON

FEARLESS HYENA

to name but a few...

Tex Killer

DANCE OF THE DRUNKEN MANTIS

Yup, that is very good. I watched it from soulblade dvd few days ago. I rate it even over drunken master:tongue:

While not Shaw brothers movie, chang cheh directed ninja in ancient china is pretty decent

blue_skies

Thanks for your suggestions all are much appreciated. I had already been expanding my search outside of Shaw Bros movies picking up some great kung fu along the way. It's a shame so much of it hasn't been remastered like the Celestial Shaw brother movies. It's also disappointing that certain DVD releases are long out of print. However on the bright side I have picked up some titles like rebellious reign (still unseen) for as little as £1.50! as always this forum has been a great resource in helping me uncover some fantastic Classic, Shaw and Modern martial art movies.:bigsmile:

blue_skies

Just bought Snake Deadly Act thanks to your reccommendation & looking forward to seeing it sometime :tongue:

Tex Killer
Just bought Snake Deadly Act thanks to your reccommendation & looking forward to seeing it sometime :tongue:

Did you watch it yet?Great movie but unfortunately subs are forced and its bad combination with english only audio in old skool doublebill..

:nerd:

blue_skies
Did you watch it yet?Great movie but unfortunately subs are forced and its bad combination with english only audio in old skool doublebill..

:nerd:

No I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. :sad:

blue skies, if you enjoyed Mad Monkey Kung Fu, be sure to watch My Young Auntie, it's basically the sequel... nah not really but it feature the same actors and similar genre of kung fu comedy :)

blue_skies
blue skies, if you enjoyed Mad Monkey Kung Fu, be sure to watch My Young Auntie, it's basically the sequel... nah not really but it feature the same actors and similar genre of kung fu comedy :)

I do have that on my to watch pile, thanks :bigsmile:

Archived