Kung Fu Jungle/Kung Fu Killer (formely 'Last of the Best') (2014)

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

more excited for this now. I skipped The Monkey King and Iceman, because I wasn't interested enough , something I never thought would happen with a new Donnie Yen movie. I still want to see them though, I'll give Iceman a rental when it comes out in the US next month. Special ID though did not disappoint. I'm definitely ready to "blind buy" this one though, hopefully the HK discs will be out in time for Christmas!

I saw it a few hours ago. I really enjoyed it, and it felt almost like a modern day Wuxia (the style of film, not the Peter Chan film) in places.

A lot of interesting cameos/tributes in the film, too.

One Armed Boxer

I got to check this out yesterday evening. One of the main advantages of living in Sydney, as I'm sure QueMuchita and Asmo can attest to, is that the cinemas here often release movies simultaneously with China, so it was a viewing on the big screen.

Great movie, if I can say one thing Teddy Chen really needs to take control on how his movies are marketed. With 'Bodyguards and Assassins' we had the claims of "1 hour of non-stop action!", and now with 'Kung Fu Jungle' we have "Donnie fights 17 inmates in prison!" Yes he does, but don't be expecting a repeat of the 10-on-1 fight scene from 'Ip Man', it's a brief skirmish and nothing more, think the toilet cubicle fight from 'The Raid 2'.

Marketing nitpicking aside, it gave me a big sigh of relief to be able to say Yen ends 2014 on a high note, check out my full review here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/kung-fu-jungle-2014-review-donnie-yen/

That's what marketing does, trailers too.

Great review OAB, you touched on some of the ideas that to me, made it feel like a wuxia in places.

I'd say it's one of the better modern day movies I've seen from DY.

I got to check this out yesterday evening. One of the main advantages of living in Sydney, as I'm sure QueMuchita and Asmo can attest to, is that the cinemas here often release movies simultaneously with China, so it was a viewing on the big screen.

Great movie, if I can say one thing Teddy Chen really needs to take control on how his movies are marketed. With 'Bodyguards and Assassins' we had the claims of "1 hour of non-stop action!", and now with 'Kung Fu Jungle' we have "Donnie fights 17 inmates in prison!" Yes he does, but don't be expecting a repeat of the 10-on-1 fight scene from 'Ip Man', it's a brief skirmish and nothing more, think the toilet cubicle fight from 'The Raid 2'.

Marketing nitpicking aside, it gave me a big sigh of relief to be able to say Yen ends 2014 on a high note, check out my full review here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/kung-fu-jungle-2014-review-donnie-yen/

Great review, another one that adds to good things to expect from the film.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I'd much prefer to call it Last of the Best and I hope it's the one that sticks on the bluray cover. Kung Fu Jungle or killer or whatever is a horrible title.

I'd much prefer to call it Last of the Best and I hope it's the one that sticks on the bluray cover. Kung Fu Jungle or killer or whatever is a horrible title.

All those titles make sense in the context of the film, but I agree. Last of the Best is a much better, less generic-sounding title.

Managed to find a decent copy on the net and watched the action.

Wang Baoqiang's moments prove that he's a competent martial arts actor and has a bright future in action films ahead of him. But Donnie... Holy goddamn!!!!! There's really no competition here when it comes to sheer experience and onscreen charisma. He may have less moments compared to Baoqiang but his are arguably the best ones in the film (if you ask me). The finale has indeed found a place among the best fight scenes in Donnie's career. There's so much going on in Donnie's fight choreography that it will make you go back and watch it all over again. Classic shapes, 80s punch-kick-block<-exchanging, grappling, weapons... This right here is a masterfully done fight set-piece and easily up there with the baton vs knife fight in SPL, final fight in Flash Point, dojo fight in Ip Man, alley fight in The Lost Bladesman and final fight in Special ID.

Despite age and injuries catching up, Donnie seems to keep getting better and better in not just fight choreography but also overall performance rather than slowing down and repeating the same things like most action directors and martial arts actors today. Truly remarkable and unique for someone in his early 50s. That's all I'm asking for in martial arts actors: staying in great shape while evolving your craft as well as pushing the limits of martial arts films by any means necessary.

DiP I agree 100%. This is Donnie's best moderner especially when it comes to the martial arts. You forget his age, injuries and will remain jaw dropped. I will have this one on Blu Ray. Not only Donnie's best imo, but I really like the homages to all the martial arts greats to come out of Hong Kong. The End credits are brilliant! From Drunken Master being watched on an hdtv to a rare current clip of Raymond Chow and even the generations of actors from the Shaw / Golden Harvest Days, some who are still alive who contributed to the making of this film.

Having said that, this is easily one of the best martial arts films to come out in a long time. It's up there with the Raid (superior to it in many regards). I have forgotten about anything else after seeing this one.

Indeed. I was real impressed with The Raid films on first viewing for depicting brutality and grittiness in fight choreography refreshingly. But they have since then lost quality for me action-wise, with the choreography now looking like anything Chan/Hung/Kwai/Woo Ping made in the 80s if you just take out all the gore, male testosterone and blood mass: conventional and repetitive. Overall, it's Donnie and Tony Jaa stuff that has stood out the most in the last 10 years.

while I was in HK I have watched it 2 times in the cinemas..

This movie has so many things that are mentionworthy..the fights are great, all aspects of fighting being covered..striking,grappling,kicking and weaponry

those many hidden things in the movie ... like when he secretely (kow tows) bows to his wife 3 times in public ..etc.

there are a few flaws but that (at least to me ) makes it even more perfect...

cant wait for the bluray..

To me, the best part of the movie was casting. Lots of great cameos! ( My favorites were Mang Hoi(!) and Tsui Siu Ming)

I haven't seen anything like that since... I don't even know how long...

There are 5-6 fights in the movie, most of them are crappy wire fu stuff and they're extremely short. ( Yu Xing was totally wasted here)

The third, I think, fight (shapes) was good, but way too short.

The main villain (some terribly overacting guy with the same grimace through the whole movie) vs. a sword wielding girl was good, too.

The best one was Donnie's final fight, but it was marred by the use of wires, defining the laws of physics and common sense and messy FX. Still, Donnie's fights from SPL and Flash Point were WAY better

I would probably re-watch the final fight and, mostly, the end credits, but other than that, there's nothing that would make me want to sit through the whole movie again.

If you're a big Donnie's fan and don't mind wire fu, you'd probably like it, otherwise, watch SPL as a better example of a modern Donnie's actioner.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Indeed. I was real impressed with The Raid films on first viewing for depicting brutality and grittiness in fight choreography refreshingly. But they have since then lost quality for me action-wise, with the choreography now looking like anything Chan/Hung/Kwai/Woo Ping made in the 80s if you just take out all the gore, male testosterone and blood mass: conventional and repetitive. Overall, it's Donnie and Tony Jaa stuff that has stood out the most in the last 10 years.

Wow, Donnie and Jaa films still stood the test of time in the last 10? I really need to see this movie.

The best one was Donnie's final fight, but it was marred by the use of wires, defining the laws of physics and common sense and messy FX.

Minimal wirework bothers you alot?

That's actually why I'm so in love with The Raid. It's got action on par with the 80's HK movies I grew up watching, and Evans brings with him a Western sense of auteur-ism (if that's even a word). The first one's got a lot of Carpenter in its blood, I think. And it's that mish-mashing of the best of what I, and Evans, I presume, grew up watching that makes me love the movie so much.

Wow, Donnie and Jaa films still stood the test of time in the last 10? I really need to see this movie.

Not trying to hype them up or anything but in terms of just being different and innovative (fight choreography and skills), it's something I always prioritize.

So hey, i managed to get a copy of the movie

Like DiP, my copy has no eng subs so i'm just watching the action.

Say did they cut that one scene where Donnie and Wang are "sparring" through the prison glass?

I've searched for that scene and i can't seem to find it

I think they didn't include it the final cut. Also, I heard the intro fight scene with Bey Logan was turned into a flashback scene instead ditching most of the fighting.

Does this have any kinda blu Ray release date? I'm dying to see it but reall don't wanna watch a bootleg copy of this. I've been pumped and don't wanna ruin I by seeing it on a choppy crap version

Archived