Kung Fu Jungle/Kung Fu Killer (formely 'Last of the Best') (2014)

DragonClaws
According to the BBFC all versions were passed uncut.

The film may have been pre-cut cut by the distributor and not the BBFC. As we all know some Asian films get shortened for their international release. I cant find any information regarding this film being edited for its U.K though.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

I got throught watching this for a 2nd time last night on the Hong Kong DVD, after checking it out initially when it hit cinemas several months ago.

For me it still stands up as a solid movie, although the CGI boat stunt is even worse second time around, mainly because you know it's coming and can appreciate it for just how bad it is on a second viewing. I'm really not sure what they were thinking there, it looks like it comes straight out of one of those Ugandan action movies.:tongue:

I did have one point to clarify though...when I watched it in the cinema I was sure the Xing Yu vs Wang Bao Qiang had a glaring cut in it, so much so I was convinced the cinema print must have skipped a few frames. Disturbingly though, having watched the DVD last night, I found the cut is still there.

It happens once the fight moves to the floor, and Bao Qiang kicks Yu through a rack of shelves. As soon as Yu hits the ground it cuts and they're suddenly fighting each other again over by the fallen giant skull, which is in a completely different area. It's extremely jarring, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it, am I the only one that picked up on this?

For me it still stands up as a solid movie, although the CGI boat stunt is even worse second time around

I actually screamed at the TV when I saw that, after laughing my ass off, of course. :wink:

It went something like – "What the utter fuck was that bullshit?!" In the 80s that would have been a real boat crash! Sort it out, you pricks."

For me it still stands up as a solid movie, although the CGI boat stunt is even worse second time around, mainly because you know it's coming and can appreciate it for just how bad it is on a second viewing. I'm really not sure what they were thinking there, it looks like it comes straight out of one of those Ugandan action movies.:tongue:

I did have one point to clarify though...when I watched it in the cinema I was sure the Xing Yu vs Wang Bao Qiang had a glaring cut in it, so much so I was convinced the cinema print must have skipped a few frames. Disturbingly though, having watched the DVD last night, I found the cut is still there.

It happens once the fight moves to the floor, and Bao Qiang kicks Yu through a rack of shelves. As soon as Yu hits the ground it cuts and they're suddenly fighting each other again over by the fallen giant skull, which is in a completely different area. It's extremely jarring, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it, am I the only one that picked up on this?

The CGI in today's Hong Kong action films is for economical reasons. They can't afford to destroy or blow up constructions like they used to in the 80s and 90s. Could very well be said about every other action film elsewhere nowadays. Also safety precautions being taken alot more now as well.

Considering that the Chinese censorship have a hand in approving any Chinese films (including co-productions), it isn't a surprise that most new films get passed with notable cuts when it comes to violence. Some examples are the driving range gang fight in Flash Point (according to Yen, more fight footage of Collin Choi and Xing Yu didn't make it in the final cut), the Donnie Yen vs Chen Kuan-Tai fight in 14 Blades, and even the cotton mill fight in Ip Man (the BTS footage shows snippets of fight choreography not included in the final cut).

One Armed Boxer
The CGI in today's Hong Kong action films is for economical reasons. They can't afford to destroy or blow up constructions like they used to in the 80s and 90s. Could very well be said about every other action film elsewhere nowadays. Also safety precautions being taken alot more now as well.

True, but when a Thai movie from 10 years ago ('Tom Yum Goong') does the same boat stunt with CGI, and it looks countless times better than what a bigger budgeted Hong Kong movie could create a decade later, you have to wonder what's going on.

Considering that the Chinese censorship have a hand in approving any Chinese films (including co-productions), it isn't a surprise that most new films get passed with notable cuts when it comes to violence. Some examples are the driving range gang fight in Flash Point (according to Yen, more fight footage of Collin Choi and Xing Yu didn't make it in the final cut), the Donnie Yen vs Chen Kuan-Tai fight in 14 Blades, and even the cotton mill fight in Ip Man (the BTS footage shows snippets of fight choreography not included in the final cut).

That's a shame. I would say that in the cases of 'Flash Point', '14 Blades' & 'Ip Man' though, the cuts aren't noticable. In 'Kung Fu Killer' they literally teleport to a different area, with no connectivity to the beatdown Xing Yu was receiving when the scene cuts. Could Godfrey Ho be working for the Chinese censorship board!?:tongue:

Archived