Bruce Lee:The Legacy Collection from Shout!

saltysam

I thought that there were others who had this set and were going to upload screenshots. Have more people chimed in with upscale news or is all this worry just from the one set of screencaps uploaded on blu-ray.com? I hope its all just a bad dream and we will awake and find out that these discs are the same HD transfer that everyone else has. And, call me crazy but I still want this set. Unless Shout realizes that there is a printing flaw and decides to push back the general release until the issue gets resolved. That beats having to send back a disc for replacement. Someone, said that perhaps the dvd master had been used by mistake in the pressing of the blu. That would suck but there would be hope. Hope for replacement. Or, worse, perhaps I would just get K&R blu of Big Boss, FOF and Way.

That halo/blur that appears between the widescreen and the picture is a solid indication that they are upscales. :( It shows up on my screen, as it did on those screen shots. Sucks.

Off topic: Very interesting interview with Bob Wall. He curses Bob Clouse like he's the devil. Bob still goes off on how some of that "locker footage" was filmed in 1973. LOL

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I totally feel the same way...

Hopefully we'll hear:

"C'mon... he says it's ok!"

:bigsmile:

+1!

*jogs, walks, then jogs again to the mansion door*

That halo/blur that appears between the widescreen and the picture is a solid indication that they are upscales. :( It shows up on my screen, as it did on those screen shots. Sucks.]

You sir have just made a grown man cry. I hope you are happy. :tongue::sad::cry::bigsmile:

One way around this is to remove the dvd`s of the movies and give them away to friends that don`t care for blu rays, then put the Shout Factory blu rays into the dvd section of the box set. Then, pick up the K&R blu`s and put them where the real blu ray discs should go.

It would be nice if there are enough complaints that SF might hold off on releasing this set until they fix this issue. I would rather wait until they get it right. Otherwise, I would have to go out and spend the money for the 3 BL films (I don`t consider GOD a BL film; only the footage he shot for his script) on blu and get the box set. That would be another $60 if I get the K&R discs. That`s a big chunk of change for 3 movies...just to get it right. But, the devil inside would compel me to do it.

Killer Meteor
That halo/blur that appears between the widescreen and the picture is a solid indication that they are upscales. :( It shows up on my screen, as it did on those screen shots. Sucks.

Off topic: Very interesting interview with Bob Wall. He curses Bob Clouse like he's the devil. Bob still goes off on how some of that "locker footage" was filmed in 1973. LOL

Well, some of it WAS shot in 1972...

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like that cancel button is going to be pushed!! :sad:

It would be nice if there are enough complaints that SF might hold off on releasing this set until they fix this issue. I would rather wait until they get it right.

I'm sure the retail copies have already shipped to placed like Amazon, etc so they can fufill pre-orders, plus Shout was selling the set early on their site, so it's too late now.

They have also said on their Facebook page that Fortune Star gave them HD masters, so I think that will be enough justification for them to leave it as is. A (relatively) few people on message boards opinions aren't going to change their minds unfortunately. I do think they need some better quality control though. Two of the discs are mislabled (I Am Bruce Lee and the bonus disc) so I'm wondering if anyone actually looked at them?

I was on the fence since, because like I said, I haven't seen the previous Blu-rays. But that comparison between the Kam and Ronson and Shout's disc is enough for me to say these are upscales. I did go back and re-edit my review and posted the pictures.

Guest Markgway
Well, some of it WAS shot in 1972...

Not the locker room fight, though.

That was choreographed in 1978 by Sammo Hung and featured Bob Wall battling Kim Tai-Jong (with Yuan Biao doubling).

I don't know why Wall persists with these myths...

Same with Chuck Norris and his 'we fought inside the coliseum' nonsense for WAY.

No, you didn't. You stole some shots before the fight, but the actual fight segment itself was filmed entirely in a Hong Kong studio.

That was choreographed in 1978 by Sammo Hung and featured Bob Wall battling Kim Tai-Jong (with Yuan Biao doubling).

Same with Chuck Norris and his 'we fought inside the coliseum' nonsense for WAY.

No, you didn't. You stole some shots before the fight, but the actual fight segment itself was filmed entirely in a Hong Kong studio.

Exactly. Bob didn't say some of these "clips" were filmed in 1972, he said something like "Me and Bruce actually filmed some of the footage in 1972"....

I find it funny how he just shows no remorse of Robert Clouse. I never realized how someone can hate someone so much.

They have also said on their Facebook page that Fortune Star gave them HD masters, so I think that will be enough justification for them to leave it as is. A (relatively) few people on message boards opinions aren't going to change their minds unfortunately. I do think they need some better quality control though. Two of the discs are mislabled (I Am Bruce Lee and the bonus disc) so I'm wondering if anyone actually looked at them?

I didn't even realize that "Bonus" disc was mislabeled til you mentioned it, which why I finally just watched it last night. (I thought I had two "I Am Bruce Lee" discs)

There's a chance they may be fixing these errors. On their facebook page, some people who have ordered it early stated that they didn't get theirs yet.

I highly recommend the Bob Wall interview.

Out of all the the other interviews, Gareth Evans is the only one who truly knows what he's talking about. Even Byron Mann says something like "My favorite Bruce Lee film is Enter the Dragon... it's the only one that has Jackie Chan and Chuck Norris in it".... lol

And Dustin Nguyen says something about watching Bruce Lee movies in Vietnam in the 60's... unless he's talking about "The Kato Show," but then he does say "movies."

That halo/blur that appears between the widescreen and the picture is a solid indication that they are upscales. :sad: It shows up on my screen, as it did on those screen shots. Sucks.]

You sir have just made a grown man cry. I hope you are happy. :tongue::sad::cry::bigsmile:

One way around this is to remove the dvd`s of the movies and give them away to friends that don`t care for blu rays, then put the Shout Factory blu rays into the dvd section of the box set. Then, pick up the K&R blu`s and put them where the real blu ray discs should go.

It would be nice if there are enough complaints that SF might hold off on releasing this set until they fix this issue. I would rather wait until they get it right. Otherwise, I would have to go out and spend the money for the 3 BL films (I don`t consider GOD a BL film; only the footage he shot for his script) on blu and get the box set. That would be another $60 if I get the K&R discs. That`s a big chunk of change for 3 movies...just to get it right. But, the devil inside would compel me to do it.

Guys,

I own the K & R set-singles and boxset. :crossedlips:

They're nothing to write home about. My FOX Ultimate Collection DVD Set looks better, aside from that terrible vocal rendition of the title song for FOF, I HATE THAT CRAP!!!! Who authorized that?! GTFOOH!!!!! :neutral:

This SF set, I want to see/play on my system, first-before jumping the gun. Hopefully that mislabling of the special features discs can be corrected quickly.:sad:

WHY CAN'T THEY DO THIS MAN'S 4 film COLLECTION JUSTICE??!!!!

DAMNIT!!

:tinysmile_angry2_t:

You know something cousin, I don't believe you!

I owned the K & R Big Boss, and there's a significant difference in picture quality. I just needed that damn English dub. It's not The Big Boss without Peter Thomas and "Come on, he says it's okay".... period.

On the same token, I didn't even realize the Shout! disc was an upscale until it was unleashed on forums. So I ask myself, did they drag me out of those house? Of course not.

Killer Meteor

I was referring to the shots in the locker fight that were nicked from Way of the Dragon!

It's funny that Golden Harvest used some sneak shots and a studio, and Dick Randall was able to have Bruce Le and Hwang Jang-Lee fight in the real thing!

Killer Meteor
I didn't even realize that "Bonus" disc was mislabeled til you mentioned it, which why I finally just watched it last night. (I thought I had two "I Am Bruce Lee" discs)

There's a chance they may be fixing these errors. On their facebook page, some people who have ordered it early stated that they didn't get theirs yet.

I highly recommend the Bob Wall interview.

Out of all the the other interviews, Gareth Evans is the only one who truly knows what he's talking about. Even Byron Mann says something like "My favorite Bruce Lee film is Enter the Dragon... it's the only one that has Jackie Chan and Chuck Norris in it".... lol

And Dustin Nguyen says something about watching Bruce Lee movies in Vietnam in the 60's... unless he's talking about "The Kato Show," but then he does say "movies."

For years, Chuck Norris was credited on IMDB as playing a "messenger" in Enter...and Jackie was credited as appearing in Big Boss and Way!

I was referring to the shots in the locker fight that were nicked from Way of the Dragon!

It's funny that Golden Harvest used some sneak shots and a studio, and Dick Randall was able to have Bruce Le and Hwang Jang-Lee fight in the real thing!

Watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvfDayHz4n8, why does Bruce Le act more like Bruce from Enter than Chang Chao-an? lol

Rewatching the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqQ2wnztME, looks like they filmed it at the same ice factory, right?

EDIT: CRAP! This was supposed to go in the Big Boss II thread. lol

Killer Meteor
Watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvfDayHz4n8, why does Bruce Le act more like Bruce from Enter than Chang Chao-an? lol

Rewatching the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqQ2wnztME, looks like they filmed it at the same ice factory, right?

EDIT: CRAP! This was supposed to go in the Big Boss II thread. lol

I'm always surprised this is as rare as it is. Considering its title and pedigree, you'd think it would be on cheap tapes all over the world!

Guest Markgway

Ah, that wasn't clear... but I get your gag now. :tongue:

Killer Meteor

The locker fight is one of my all time faves - Sammo lets Bob actually hit his opponent, which is more then Bruce ever did!

The locker fight is one of my all time faves - Sammo lets Bob actually hit his opponent, which is more then Bruce ever did!

Yes, I agree... It's the one insufferable aspect of Lee's choreography; he was SUPERMAN, and no one could touch his characters... Sammo made his interpretation of the Billy Lo character somewhat vulnerable, however, maybe he shouldn't have; because the choreography doesn't match up with the Lee footage later in the film. Yuen Woo Ping understood that fact and it's one of the reasons why he won awards for GOD II. It was creative, athletic, exciting, and exhausting, all at the same time. The GOD footage Lee choreographed between the other fighters not involving his character are are only real glimpse into what he was capable of as an AD, and it was grounded in realism.

Another reason why it's a shame Lee died so suddenly, as he never got to collaborate with what came to be some of the most dynamic screen fighters in history. Imagine him going up against the likes of:

Hwang Chiang Lee

Tan Tao Liang

Tommy Lee

Wilson Tong

Ku Fei

Ku Feng

Sonny Chiba

Chang Yi

Jimmy Wang Yu

Chan Shan

Lau Kar Liang

Chi Kwan Chun

and others, I'm certain you could think of.

:nerd:

sifu iron perm

hell yeah fully agree! I love that scene, the build up and cut shots of the interview next door..suspense and fatality done well.

hell yeah fully agree! I love that scene, the build up and cut shots of the interview next door..suspense and fatality done well.

It shows Sammo's talent as a director, and how he really had an insight to what Lee was doing as well...

It shows Sammo's talent as a director, and how he really had an insight to what Lee was doing as well...

And don't forget about John Barry's music to accompany that (and every) scene. In my opinion, Barry's soundtrack is 90% of what makes the non-Bruce Lee scenes of Game of Death entertaining.

The funny thing is, after The Big Boss, I watched Game of Death more than any other Bruce Lee movie. There's so much to equally love and hate about it. Honestly, all those obvious embarrassments (cardboard cut outs, "So you got in here, finally" towel, spliced footage, etc.) makes it pure entertainment.

I can only imagine how people felt when they watched it in the theater for the first time. On the way out, they were probably like "did you see what I saw?"... lol

sifu iron perm
And don't forget about John Barry's music to accompany that (and every) scene. In my opinion, Barry's soundtrack is 90% of what makes the non-Bruce Lee scenes of Game of Death entertaining.

The funny thing is, after The Big Boss, I watched Game of Death more than any other Bruce Lee movie. There's so much to equally love and hate about it. Honestly, all those obvious embarrassments (cardboard cut outs, "So you got in here, finally" towel, spliced footage, etc.) makes it pure entertainment.

I can only imagine how people felt when they watched it in the theater for the first time. On the way out, they were probably like "did you see what I saw?"... lol

they really tried to polish and cover up the farce/fakeness of that movie..

I also loved it when i was a kid and have some attachment to it now. The music and choreography deserves its props.

"You lose carl miller"

Yuen Biao was more closer to Lee's build and size than any of the other doubles, however, Sammo just couldn't get him to imitate him well. Other than being an excellent kicker, Biao couldn't even double Lee's body.

That Chen Yao Pao did look a lot like Bruce wearing shades, but he was too tall, and skinnier than even Bruce.

:tongue:

Killer Meteor
Yuen Biao was more closer to Lee's build and size than any of the other doubles, however, Sammo just couldn't get him to imitate him well. Other than being an excellent kicker, Biao couldn't even double Lee's body.

That Chen Yao Pao did look a lot like Bruce wearing shades, but he was too tall, and skinnier than even Bruce.

:tongue:

Kim Tai Jong in Tower of Death just looks like Jackie Chan with a squashed nose!

Killer Meteor
Yes, I agree... It's the one insufferable aspect of Lee's choreography; he was SUPERMAN, and no one could touch his characters...

:nerd:

That's why Bruce vs Han Ying-Cheih in Big Boss is my fave of his fights, it's very neck and neck. Bruce's character wins because the Boss makes one fatal impulsive error.

To be fair to how Bob Wall and Wang In-sik are choreographed in Way, they are just supposed to be an appitasier before Bruce fights Chuck Norris. Not many kung fu films of the time understand the concept of a warm-up, and instead have every fight be a climax.

Archived