Bruce Lee:The Legacy Collection from Shout!

saltysam

A response from "An Insider at Shout Factory"

"The masters we received from Fortune Star are HD.

We color corrected the first three films at Fotokem. I asked my telecine "do these look like HD masters" and he said "yes".

He's been a colorist for over 25 years and has worked for Fox and Universal"

This was from another forum!!

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor
A response from "An Insider at Shout Factory"

We color corrected the first three films at Fotokem. I asked my telecine "do these look like HD masters" and he said "yes".

This was from another forum!!

TBH, I'd only accept that if SF ever acknowledged that they have released downscales?

Guest Markgway

:tongue:

:tongue:

Hmmm...

I'm not saying they're not upscales (I personally believe they're not, as the detail looks great to me), but I think we should wait for a few more reviews to get the official word, instead of judging from a couple of screen shots. I wish I had the sources to do my own screen caps, but I no longer own the HK Blu-ray, nor does my computer have a Blu-ray drive.

And if they are upscales, then.... "ahhhhh tat bastards!"

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even I didn't think Shite Factory would fuck this one up!

Didn't they check the masters they were sent?

Or does their contempt for fans run that deep?

I feel really sorry for anyone who paid $120 for this insulting rip off.

BTW: The dates on the packaging are wrong.

Game of Death was completed in 1978 not 1972 (when it was started)

Bruce Lee - the Legend was released in 1983 not 1977 (at least the version we all know was).

You guys realize this is Markgway's nightmare don't you? What he feared the most about this release. He was shouting loud for the past year but the bastards didn't listen.

If they are not going to use the original film to 'master' to blu ray, then don't bother.

It's a damn shame.

disappointing

does anyone have the German or French release? Do they contain Eng subs & or dubs?

The French set is the worst as the French subtitles are forced! No English subtitles or dubs here! Only French dub, and Mandarin etc.

The German set has English dubs, together with the usual Mandarin audio etc. No English subs though! (Best value set IMO) if you are looking for the English dubs!

The Japanese versions buy Paramount are the same really, English dubs but no English subtitles!! (These IMO are the best to have) not the cheapest though!! Game of Death disc contains the Japanese theatrical cut in HD, looks lovely! Way of the Dragon contains a unique English dub that contains different music in places! (Bruce Lee Bob Wall fight)

Wow :bigsmile:

d53dd09faf6946749bee8d2.jpg

8f3e70de22f140798192da7.jpg

473053b7e079493aa434ab6.jpg

I'm kind of happy with my German Blu's -not perfect by any means, with missing(English) audio on Fist of Fury, combined audio (Big Boss) and Game of Death Upscale,strangely Way of the dragon is fine by me (one tiny bit of audio missing) but it was cheap and has English audio. The Legacy set now seems like a huge misfire with the upscaling controversy...why supply dvd's if the blu's are just upscales ? Then there's the supplementary materials which sound very good indeed...would you buy the set just for those if the film transfers are sub-par?

so, does The Big Boss not have the abridged version with the finger jab? at HKfilm.net, the review states the bloodier ending is included as an alternate ending on the bonus features. can anyone confirm this?

http://hkfilm.net/dvdrevs/brucelegacy.htm

If it does, then it should also have the James Tien head splitting scene. Since it has the ALTERNATE english dubb the scenes shouldn't be edited at the same frames as previous Big Boss releases.

Yeah, this is when we realize there was never an uncut Big Boss.

Well, *I'm* certainly in an awkward spot, because I was proud of the work I did on the set for the audio tracks and extras... but then I saw the screencaps :ooh: I mean, if they were virtually any other Fortune Star-mastered films (except for City Hunter, apparently), I would've expected upconverts. But the thing is, Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and Way of the Dragon have had proper HD transfers in Hong Kong, Japan, and Germany. Why they didn't use those as a base is beyond me.

Well, *I'm* certainly in an awkward spot, because I was proud of the work I did on the set for the audio tracks and extras... but then I saw the screencaps :ooh: I mean, if they were virtually any other Fortune Star-mastered films (except for City Hunter, apparently), I would've expected upconverts. But the thing is, Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and Way of the Dragon have had proper HD transfers in Hong Kong, Japan, and Germany. Why they didn't use those as a base is beyond me.

You shouldn't feel awkward!, not your fault Shout didn't spot they were using upscales!!

I haven't cancelled my order as yet, really want to see the hard work you put towards making this package! Such a shame Shout Factory didn't do their homework before putting the Blu-Ray's together!

Just hoping something good will turn out of all this!!

You shouldn't feel awkward!, not your fault Shout didn't spot they were using upscales!!

I haven't cancelled my order as yet, really want to see the hard work you put towards this package! Such a shame Shout Factory didn't do their homework before putting the Blu-Ray's together!

Just hoping something good will turn out of all this!!

Thanks. If it were a DVD set, I think it would've been lauded as one of the best Bruce Lee box sets out there, especially due to the inclusion of the mono tracks and rare alternate audio tracks. But this "controversy" surrounding the blu-rays is definitely making things more of a downer. I just can't wrap my head around it, especially with the talk of the colorist who had "been in the business for 25 years". He should've been able to detect the signs of an upconvert (halos around the black bars, "chunky" film grain, etc). Even the comparison pic between the true HD masters and the Shout release isn't making them budge :sad:

EDIT: However, despite these issues, I can indeed confirm that the Game of Death Blu-ray has the Japanese cut in true HD as an extra. Kind've ironic, if you think about it.

PangYau, you did a fantastic job with the audio, proper mono and those extra rare tracks. The reason i have not purchased the Lee films on Blu ray from anywhere is i hate the 5.1 false remixes with added sounds. Now it seems this set has mono sound but not proper HD...DOH!....I give up, just sick of HK classic films being treated with no respect, yes its you Fortune Star who are the main culprits....

PangYau, you did a fantastic job with the audio, proper mono and those extra rare tracks. The reason i have not purchased the Lee films on Blu ray from anywhere is i hate the 5.1 false remixes with added sounds. Now it seems this set has mono sound but not proper HD...DOH!....I give up, just sick of HK classic films being treated with no respect, yes its you Fortune Star who are the main culprits....

Thank you as well... I'd normally blame Fortune Star as well, but the fact that the three real Lee films have had proper HD transfers boggles my mind. I mean, did Fortune Star "lose" those masters too, and send Shout upscales? I'm just trying to figure out where someone messed up.

Thanks. If it were a DVD set, I think it would've been lauded as one of the best Bruce Lee box sets out there, especially due to the inclusion of the mono tracks and rare alternate audio tracks. But this "controversy" surrounding the blu-rays is definitely making things more of a downer. I just can't wrap my head around it, especially with the talk of the colorist who had "been in the business for 25 years". He should've been able to detect the signs of an upconvert (halos around the black bars, "chunky" film grain, etc). Even the comparison pic between the true HD masters and the Shout release isn't making them budge :sad:

EDIT: However, despite these issues, I can indeed confirm that the Game of Death Blu-ray has the Japanese cut in true HD as an extra. Kind've ironic, if you think about it.

Yes, other than the suspect Blu-Ray's the set looks and sounds great! Kind of strange how they mixed DVD's with Blu-rays though! :squigglemouth:

You would have thought someone with 25 years experience would have spotted they were upscales! or maybe they did and decided to work with them and take the risk! They should know that a large percentage of people would be able to spot an upscale a mile off!! after all this is all we are seeing these days!! :(

Thank you as well... I'd normally blame Fortune Star as well, but the fact that the three real Lee films have had proper HD transfers boggles my mind. I mean, did Fortune Star "lose" those masters too, and send Shout upscales? I'm just trying to figure out where someone messed up.

Surely FS wouldn't lose their HD masters, I mean surely not!!?? If upscales were all they could supply then SF should have ripped the K&R discs and used them!!:xd:

Killer Meteor

It's just like when they'd give HKL a genuine mono track, and Joy Sales a downmix.

It's just like when they'd give HKL a genuine mono track, and Joy Sales a downmix.

Sounds like the should hand the prints over to someone who actually cares!!

Sounds like the should hand the prints over to someone who actually cares!!

The companies don't care....it's just product to them.... at least in the days of vhs they'd just slap the movies onto tape with out buggering them up....hang on they where 4:3 weren't they? sigh!

The companies don't care....it's just product to them.... at least in the days of vhs they'd just slap the movies onto tape with out buggering them up....hang on they where 4:3 weren't they? sigh!

And look at the lovely artwork Rank Video gave us!! those were the days eh!!

$(KGrHqFHJBkFHJ3RhYdvBR7-UR8RNg~~60_12.JPG

Guest Markgway

As much as we're criticising Shout Factory and Fortune Star, and deservedly so, none of that should tarnish the fine work that Old Pang Yau put in. We fans do appreciate your efforts; it's just a shame they weren't for a better final product.

Hmmm...

I'm not saying they're not upscales (I personally believe they're not, as the detail looks great to me), but I think we should wait for a few more reviews to get the official word, instead of judging from a couple of screen shots. I wish I had the sources to do my own screen caps, but I no longer own the HK Blu-ray, nor does my computer have a Blu-ray drive.

And if they are upscales, then.... "ahhhhh tat bastards!"

I totally feel the same way...

Hopefully we'll hear:

"C'mon... he says it's ok!"

:bigsmile:

As much as we're criticising Shout Factory and Fortune Star, and deservedly so, none of that should tarnish the fine work that Old Pang Yau put in. We fans do appreciate your efforts; it's just a shame they weren't for a better final product.

+1!

Thank you all very much :cry: (<----- happy crying :tongue:)

My heart DROPPED when I first saw those screencaps. I was so excited to be working on what could've been a borderline perfect Bruce Lee set, only for it to get dashed. My own copy arrived today, but my excitement level had certainly dropped.

Also, Fortune Star was even lazy with the Bruce Lee "legend documentaries"... The Legend is from a dated, non-remastered PAL master, and The Man and The Legend is clearly taken from the HKL version... and not properly converted to NTSC :neutral:

Oh well, I hate that I couldn't do more to prevent this issue with the blu-rays.

I thought that there were others who had this set and were going to upload screenshots. Have more people chimed in with upscale news or is all this worry just from the one set of screencaps uploaded on blu-ray.com? I hope its all just a bad dream and we will awake and find out that these discs are the same HD transfer that everyone else has. And, call me crazy but I still want this set. Unless Shout realizes that there is a printing flaw and decides to push back the general release until the issue gets resolved. That beats having to send back a disc for replacement. Someone, said that perhaps the dvd master had been used by mistake in the pressing of the blu. That would suck but there would be hope. Hope for replacement. Or, worse, perhaps I would just get K&R blu of Big Boss, FOF and Way.

Archived