Bruce Lee:The Legacy Collection from Shout!

saltysam

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was able to get the latest press release, which has a few added goodies:

- Master of the Game with Danny Inosanto

- Bruce Lee Remembered featuring interviews with Bryron Mann, Dustin Nguyen and filmmaker Gareth Evans (The Raid)

At a glance, that's all I noticed that was added.

Here's the full release:

http://www.cityonfire.com/shout-factory-presents-bruce-lee-the-legacy-collection-blu-ray-and-dvd-box-set/

Don't see anything about the Blu-ray's being remastered though!

Might have missed it though!?

Was able to get the latest press release, which has a few added goodies:

- Master of the Game with Danny Inosanto

- Bruce Lee Remembered featuring interviews with Bryron Mann, Dustin Nguyen and filmmaker Gareth Evans (The Raid)

At a glance, that's all I noticed that was added.

Here's the full release:

http://www.cityonfire.com/shout-factory-presents-bruce-lee-the-legacy-collection-blu-ray-and-dvd-box-set/

There may or may not also be a short featurette edited and narrated by a certain forum member on here that talks about how Peter Thomas ended up scoring the international release of The Big Boss... hint, hint :wink:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
There may or may not also be a short featurette edited and narrated by a certain forum member on here that talks about how Peter Thomas ended up scoring the international release of The Big Boss... hint, hint :wink:

No kidding? :smile: I hope it makes it on there. That would be cool man! :nerd:

Glad I preordered this now, sounds better and better each day :xd:

Guest Markgway

Who could that be?? If only there were some sort of clue!! :ooh:

Jeru the Damaja

Will there be a featurette discussing the lost scenes from The Big Boss or any other rare/unseen footage from Bruce's films?

Hopefully the Master of the Game featurette with Dan Inosanto finally reveals the log scene with Chieh Yuan.

Got the Shout! set in the mail today.

I haven't popped in any of the discs yet, but I can tell you that it's a impressive package/presentation... the book is nice (only, it's attached to the set and not a separate book) with some photos I've never seen before. Shout! really went all out on this one... the packaging is similar to the BOND 50 set, but bigger in size. I have to say, some of those discs were hard to get out of the sleeve, but with time, I'm sure they'll loosen up.

I have popped in The Big Boss, checked out some of the extra features.... so Old Pang Yau is Brandon Bentley?! Didn't you do something called The Big Boss 2000 (back in 90's?).

At a quick listen, the english mono track (english dub/Peter Thomas music) sounds good... a HUGE improvement over the recent North American DVD releases. Shout! has added some saturation in the color (compared to the Fortune Star Blu-ray releases) and to me, it looks nice and vibrant, while maintaining the classic colors we love.

Impressive.

Killer Meteor
Got the Shout! set in the mail today.

I haven't popped in any of the discs yet, but I can tell you that it's a impressive package/presentation... the book is nice (only, it's attached to the set and not a separate book) with some photos I've never seen before. Shout! really went all out on this one... the packaging is similar to the BOND 50 set, but bigger in size. I have to say, some of those discs were hard to get out of the sleeve, but with time, I'm sure they'll loosen up.

I have popped in The Big Boss, checked out some of the extra features.... so Old Pang Yau is Brandon Bentley?! Didn't you do something called The Big Boss 2000 (back in 90's?).

At a quick listen, the english mono track (english dub/Peter Thomas music) sounds good... a HUGE improvement over the recent North American DVD releases. Shout! has added some saturation in the color (compared to the Fortune Star Blu-ray releases) and to me, it looks nice and vibrant, while maintaining the classic colors we love.

Impressive.

Can you check on the Mandarin mono that a) it's genuine and B) the Bruce vs. Tony Liu fight is in sync?

Can you check on the Mandarin mono that a) it's genuine and B) the Bruce vs. Tony Liu fight is in sync?

Seems genuine to me. And yes, that fight is in synch.

I'm coming across some things that weren't on that press release, like the inclusion of the Game of Death Japanese print.... looks like it's practically the same as the US version, only with embedded Japanese subtitles (from what I can tell). Good thing is the "Raymond Chow's Golden Harvest" small logo is in tack (before it has that BRUCE LEE yell, from "Way).

I had a few names "back in the day"... Bentley Siu-lung, Bentley2005... finally landed on "OldPangYau" and stuck with it :tongue: But yeah, I did "The Big Boss Redux", which I wanted to rework with yet another score, but I digress :tongue:

I actually helped on this set, primarily with the audio tracks... so on that note, if the Mandarin mono track isn't in synch (but lord knows how many times I checked to make sure I synched it up as much as I could) then I didn't do my job! But I'm fairly confident I did :wink:

Also, I worked on patching up the "rejected" English dub, using whatever sources I could to fix it. The base track was actually from a print that was missing large chunks due to print damage, plus was at PAL speed. So, first I slowed it down to NTSC/film speed, then synched up what was available to the Fortune Star transfer. Then, wherever there were gaps, I used multiple sources:

1. Mandarin mono - This was used to replace fight sounds as well as fill in music gaps where possible.

2. Media Asia/Fortune Star English dub - Used to fill in the riverside scene

3. Mainstream English dub - Sad to say, there were a few spots here and there where I had no access to the rejected English dialogue, so it had to revert.

So as of now, the Shout release will have the most complete available version of the rejected English dub as an extra track.

Also, believe it or not, the bulk of the mainstream English dub was actually from a digital source of the National General Pictures version. This was in higher quality than every other version out there. The Fox Master Collection dub was already better than the stuffy-as-hell dub that Media Asia/Fortune Star would put out, but the National General Pictures one had very clear-sounding dialogue.

Also, MPM, check out the Way of the Dragon and Game of Death discs... they should also have the Japanese theatrical English tracks, featuring Lee's real yells. First time officially released in the US :smile: Didn't know they managed to get the Japanese cut of GOD on there in full, though... nice! At first it was just going to be the audio synched up to the Fortune Star transfer... wonder if it has both now!

Other than colour adjustments etc, is there any differences in picture quality for them? - are they the same Fortune Star masters used on the K&M and Paramount Blu-rays? Was hoping for a nice sharp WOTD :tongue:

Bentley: Whatever you did, great job. I haven’t watched/heard every single disc, but judging from The Big Boss disc alone, I’m happy. All I know is it doesn’t have those stuffy tracks you speak of. It was loud and clear for the most part. The menus sounded stuffy, so I was afraid the feature would be stuffy… not the case.

Newgen2005: Way of the Dragon is the worse Blu-ray of them all, partly due to the way it was filmed/shot. I think Bruce's camera guy needed to “focus” more, especially those opening airport shots.=D I don’t think it’s something that can ever be fixed. All that blur is imbedded in the film forever! Some of the other “way” scenes look sharp, but it’s definitely the same HK Blu-ray we’ve seen, only with Shout’s color adjustments.

Bentley: Whatever you did, great job. I haven’t watched/heard every single disc, but judging from The Big Boss disc alone, I’m happy. All I know is it doesn’t have those stuffy tracks you speak of. It was loud and clear for the most part. The menus sounded stuffy, so I was afraid the feature would be stuffy… not the case.

Newgen2005: Way of the Dragon is the worse Blu-ray of them all, partly due to the way it was filmed/shot. I think Bruce's camera guy needed to “focus” more, especially those opening airport shots.=D I don’t think it’s something that can ever be fixed. All that blur is imbedded in the film forever! Some of the other “way” scenes look sharp, but it’s definitely the same HK Blu-ray we’ve seen, only with Shout’s color adjustments.

Thanks for the info on WOTD!. I think with the colour corrected it should look much better! What are the special features like on the WOTD disc?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I actually helped on this set...

I applaud you for all the hard work you put into this brother. So we can thank "one of our own" for sprucing up this set. Thanks man! Can't wait to get this. :nerd:

I applaud you for all the hard work you put into this brother. So we can thank "one of our own" for sprucing up this set. Thanks man! Can't wait to get this. :nerd:

+1 :bigsmile:

Thanks for the info on WOTD!. I think with the colour corrected it should look much better! What are the special features like on the WOTD disc?

I’ll have to look again, but one thing I did watch off the “way” disc is the John Benn interview.

I believe this is a “new” interview. Benn revealed something I wasn’t aware of. He said that he was also present with Raymond Chow and George Lazenby on the day Bruce had passed. They were all supposed to have dinner together.

Great interview.

Thanks everyone! It was a pleasure and honor to finally work on an official release of the Lee films!

As for the "stuffy menus", it was probably because they only had access to the same old Fortune Star-based audio tracks prior to my involvement.

If all goes well, my own "thank you copy" should arrive sometime soon :wink:

Killer Meteor

it's weird how Way looks the worst, despite some Bruce-scholars making a big deal of Bruce hiring a Japanese cinematographer (which was actually quite common in HK movies at the time).

I suspect, gureilla filmmaking at the airport aside, that a change in film stocks is also to blame. Big Boss, 2 years older, has always looked much better.

it's weird how Way looks the worst, despite some Bruce-scholars making a big deal of Bruce hiring a Japanese cinematographer (which was actually quite common in HK movies at the time).

I suspect, gureilla filmmaking at the airport aside, that a change in film stocks is also to blame. Big Boss, 2 years older, has always looked much better.

Real shame they all don't look as good as the Big Boss! Not sure what they did but IMO the transfer is superb!!

Killer Meteor
Real shame they all don't look as good as the Big Boss! Not sure what they did but IMO the transfer is superb!!

Even the 2000 HKL Big Boss looked great. There was a bit of damage but it looked grand.

Even the 2000 HKL Big Boss looked great. There was a bit of damage but it looked grand.

Ehhhhh... I was always in the minority of people who thought the HKL Big Boss wasn't that great. Blown out contrast, sporadic color balance, and even lacking the Chinese opening credits. At the time, it was the best you could get, but I still felt it could be better... and then in 2004 the Fortune Star remastered transfer appeared :wink:

Killer Meteor
Ehhhhh... I was always in the minority of people who thought the HKL Big Boss wasn't that great. Blown out contrast, sporadic color balance, and even lacking the Chinese opening credits. At the time, it was the best you could get, but I still felt it could be better... and then in 2004 the Fortune Star remastered transfer appeared :wink:

Have you noticed on the Chinese credits that they run out of sync with the title animation, so Nora Miao's credit is superimposed over THE BIG BOSS title card!

Speaking of credits, I find it interesting that every version I've seen of Fist and Way doesn't have an THE END card but instead has English credits telling you who played who (hence Bob Wall playing "Fred" instead of "Bob"!) I have seen both variations for The Big Boss (the boss was called Mi, apparently!)

Guest Markgway

Totally agree. Shaw Bros had been using them for years - and to much better effect.

Archived