Bruce Lee:The Legacy Collection from Shout!

saltysam

Got my set a couple of days ago, the rejected dub quality is excellent! Thanks for your effort on that, turned out well in the end!

Thanks! That one was definitely a chore :tongue: They sent me what they had to work with, and it was from the same shambly print that I snagged a couple of years ago. The issues I had to hop around were:

-Audio was from a PAL speed transfer

-Chunks of scenes missing

-Print actually had extra shot extensions missing from the mainstream cuts

So, all this being said, I slowed down the audio about 4% to proper film speed, synched up what was available to the mainstream 100 minute cut, and then proceeded to go into "patch up mode". For this, I used the Mandarin mono for fight scenes as well as grabbing music cues, grabbed the "riverside revenge" inner monologue that has been on most DVDs since around 2004, and had to resort to snippets of the mainstream English dub from time to time. But, I'd like to think it's the most complete version of the rejected dub at this point.

Plus, the aforementioned scene extensions were compiled into a montage for the extra features. Complete with using remastered "wrap arounds".

Oh, and I supplied the Japanese theatrical English dub from the 2012 Japanese Blu-ray :wink:

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks! That one was definitely a chore :tongue: They sent me what they had to work with, and it was from the same shambly print that I snagged a couple of years ago. The issues I had to hop around were:

-Audio was from a PAL speed transfer

-Chunks of scenes missing

-Print actually had extra shot extensions missing from the mainstream cuts

So, all this being said, I slowed down the audio about 4% to proper film speed, synched up what was available to the mainstream 100 minute cut, and then proceeded to go into "patch up mode". For this, I used the Mandarin mono for fight scenes as well as grabbing music cues, grabbed the "riverside revenge" inner monologue that has been on most DVDs since around 2004, and had to resort to snippets of the mainstream English dub from time to time. But, I'd like to think it's the most complete version of the rejected dub at this point.

Plus, the aforementioned scene extensions were compiled into a montage for the extra features. Complete with using remastered "wrap arounds".

Oh, and I supplied the Japanese theatrical English dub from the 2012 Japanese Blu-ray :wink:

Yeah but I get lil old finger prints on the disc when I get it out the packaging!

I'm sorry, but he address the community in a meaningful manner in which I had to retort in my defense.

I was just messing around. What I said is a quote from The Big Boss.

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice the english dub track (Peter Thomas OST) gets a bit out of order during the James Tien "Forget this news about Old Wang" scene?

I imagine it's was done intentionally to synch things up with the extra footage, right?

Yeah but I get lil old finger prints on the disc when I get it out the packaging!

"Let's wait til' Chui gets back, and we'll throw them out... Right on their ass!"

:bigsmile:

OpiumKungFuCracker

Well now I look like a fool. You know I wish I remember some of the lines and used it here but I guess I just don't understand the internet much?

What do people think of the Mike Leeder audio commentary's?

Mike is a personable guy who gives interesting info, but the sound quality is awful to the point that I couldn't listen to any of them all the way through. They sound like a bad Skype call or a podcast circa the RealPlayer days.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Mike is a personable guy who gives interesting info, but the sound quality is awful. It sounds like a bad Skype call.

That's what I was thinking. Mike, so how did you do the commentary tracks?

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice the english dub track (Peter Thomas OST) gets a bit out of order during the James Tien "Forget this news about Old Wang" scene?

I imagine it's was done intentionally to synch things up with the extra footage, right?

Yeah, this has always been an issue, as the mainstream cut and the American theatrical cut slightly re-edited this scene. I tried to fit it as best as possible, but it never comes out fully natural :squigglemouth:

Guest Markgway
Yeah, this has always been an issue, as the mainstream cut and the American theatrical cut slightly re-edited this scene. I tried to fit it as best as possible, but it never comes out fully natural :squigglemouth:

That scene was OOS even on the old Rank VHS, which was in turn taken from a 1970's UK cinema print!

That scene was OOS even on the old Rank VHS, which was in turn taken from a 1970's UK cinema print!

Sad thing is, the rejected dub fits the scene better, as it's the only cut that had the full shots before and after the manager says "you can visit the boss" :tongue:

Was this Rare English Dubb taken from a film print?

Was it "found" edited at the same exact cuts as all the other films?

Wasn't bad to me. I only noticed it because The Big Boss's dialogue is my religion. =D

Good job, man!

Was this Rare English Dubb taken from a film print?

Was it "found" edited at the same exact cuts as all the other films?

For the most part, it's the same cut... but there are some shots that go on slightly longer than they normally would. No new full shots/scenes. However, I compiled all of the shot extensions I found into its own special feature, which is also on the Blu-ray and DVD of TBB. Nothing super exciting, but at this point, ANY new TBB footage is something... even if it's a few extra seconds here and there for a scene :tongue:

Wasn't bad to me. I only noticed it because The Big Boss's dialogue is my religion. =D

Good job, man!

Thanks! I even tried to better time the mainstream dub when The Boss bites it in the end. I always felt that they just left it "as is", so it sounds like the audio is too early when Cheng rushes him at the end of the fight. So I merely delayed it slightly, but also subtly time compressed the audio during the rising shot showing the aftermath. Pretty much had to use every audio editing trick in the book for these tracks :tongue:

However, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the mandatory edits I had to make on the Cantonese mono track... watch the scene with Hsiu and Ah Pei/Lao Er running up to the mansion to see what I'm talking about.

Over on the blu-ray forum, someone was saying that FOF would not play in their player. Others were saying that you have to press 9 on the remote. And, it was also being said that there is no mandarin track. Can anyone back that up?

Well, just popped mine in... yeah, it locks up after the "commentaries are just for entertainment, yadda yadda" screen, and I have to "force" it ahead one title.

As for the Mandarin... well, looks like the 7.1 Mandarin is fine, but the Cantonese mono begins playing when selecting the Mandarin mono :tinysmile_angry2_t: I'm *FAIRLY* certain this was not the case on the first pressing. And, needless to say, it pisses me off, as synching up the Mandarin mono was one of my prime "missions" on this project.

F**k it, I'm done. I have my flawed set, and I know they won't fix anything any further :cry:

Well, just popped mine in... yeah, it locks up after the "commentaries are just for entertainment, yadda yadda" screen, and I have to "force" it ahead one title.

As for the Mandarin... well, looks like the 7.1 Mandarin is fine, but the Cantonese mono begins playing when selecting the Mandarin mono :tinysmile_angry2_t: I'm *FAIRLY* certain this was not the case on the first pressing. And, needless to say, it pisses me off, as synching up the Mandarin mono was one of my prime "missions" on this project.

F**k it, I'm done. I have my flawed set, and I know they won't fix anything any further :cry:

Mine doesn't lock up at all.

Mine doesn't lock up at all.

How about the Mandarin mono? I find it ironic that while it goes to Cantonese, it at least is still mono :xd:

Over on the blu-ray forum, someone was saying that FOF would not play in their player. Others were saying that you have to press 9 on the remote. And, it was also being said that there is no mandarin track. Can anyone back that up?

Yep no Mandarin mono on the Fist of Fury disc! This set just was not meant to be!! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

I feel bad for you as you contributed a lot towards making this set, and I thank you for that!

It is just a shame that Shout Factory didn't do their part in making sure it was all put together correctly!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Glad im not the biggest BL fan, and content with my HKLs, or this cataclysmic clusterfuck would most surely have pissed me off, to no end.

Props to OPY for putting the work in. Must be frustrating when you do your part, and the others doesn't.

Thanks guys, you all make it worth going through the trials and tribulations of getting this right... or at least trying to make it right.

The one silver lining with this project is I didn't have to debate whether or not I was getting it since they were sending me the set. Hell, I still have a sealed copy of the recalled version.

Despite the flaws, I know Cliff had good intentions... it's some of the other Shout crew that needs more training and quality assurance.

Archived