Bruce Lee:The Legacy Collection from Shout!

saltysam

A word of warning guys, these new discs have not been colour corrected as Shout Factory advertised! WOTD and FOF look the same say as the other Blu-ray releases from Kam & Ronson and Paramount.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the Mandarin mono tracks and English subs are still in sync, right...?

BOSS seemed fine-as far as what I viewed.. FOF and WOTD seemed a bit off, from what I could tell...:squigglemouth:

After all Old Pang Yau's hard work...?

"Don't believe a word of it... I treat my workers justly..."

:bigsmile:

It's very subtle, coz I actually looked for it, after your questions.. I don't think the casual observer would notice.. This was something I really looked for.

But still :wink:, I'm really enjoying the replacement discs, and am a happy camper.

I only wished they'd used an updated commentary for the films by Bey Logan, instead of Leeder's.

Can't win them all.

I think a lot of fans would notice sync problems.

I can't believe Shout have screwed up again.

"With money in their pocket, they're probably somewhere, dead drunk-with women!"

As I said, very subtle... If I didn't actually look for that, it might have gotten past me..

FOF and WOTD were dubbed after filming. I don't think they were recorded with live sound. It's not as if you will ever have 100 % sync sound with audio recorded afterwards. Also, the actors would have been speaking different languages on set, so that their mouths sometimes wouldn't match the words coming out of them. The Russian fighter's voice is Bruce Lee's, isn't it?

After all Old Pang Yau's hard work...?

fuuuu-face-meme-funny_4628451090760866.jpg

I've walked away from this project for a while, overheard that the transfers were getting fixed... and then come back to read this, what I spent night after night trying to get perfect. Hell, my eyes looked like the ones in the above rage face.

masterofoneinchpunch
Well, no HK movie (aside from the odd one) was shot synch sound till the 80's...

Many (possibly most) of the 1950s HK films (including late 40s and early 60s) were done with sync sound (usually sync in studio, not always on outside work). It adds a neorealist texture to it especially with the many didactic themes, though sometimes the sound does not come through as well as it should even in the studio.

fuuuu-face-meme-funny_4628451090760866.jpg

I've walked away from this project for a while, overheard that the transfers were getting fixed... and then come back to read this, what I spent night after night trying to get perfect. Hell, my eyes looked like the ones in the above rage face.

"Look, don't blame me... Please, I'm not telling you lies..."

Hey, OPY, I really appreciate your efforts and contributions to this set... I didn't comment to discredit, simply to disclose what was asked about. I find the audio fine, and indicated as much. As far as the recall and new transfers, I'm totally happy with them, as this is now what I consider my ULTIMATE BRUCE LEE BOXSET. :nerd:

I think most would be happy if they gave it a chance.

IMHO.

This may be a stupid question, but I'll just go ahead and ask: is OldPangYau's work still available on the DVDs on this set or was everything he did, as well as the color correction and all that, done exclusively for the Blu Rays?

TibetanWhiteCrane
Many (possibly most) of the 1950s HK films (including late 40s and early 60s) were done with sync sound (usually sync in studio, not always on outside work). It adds a neorealist texture to it especially with the many didactic themes, though sometimes the sound does not come through as well as it should even in the studio.

Yeah, I know, but for the sake of getting a quick point across, I simplified my answer as it pertained to the norm of 70's and 80's HK action cinema, which many people seem to think was shot sync sound.

"Look, don't blame me... Please, I'm not telling you lies..."

Hey, OPY, I really appreciate your efforts and contributions to this set... I didn't comment to discredit, simply to disclose what was asked about. I find the audio fine, and indicated as much. As far as the recall and new transfers, I'm totally happy with them, as this is now what I consider my ULTIMATE BRUCE LEE BOXSET. :nerd:

I think most would be happy if they gave it a chance.

IMHO.

I know, that face was more towards Shout for making it seem like I didn't know what I was doing :tinysmile_angry2_t: I thought that everything would've been fixed, not replace one problem with another. Hell, I still need my own replacement copies.

masterofoneinchpunch
Yeah, I know, but for the sake of getting a quick point across, I simplified my answer as it pertained to the norm of 70's and 80's HK action cinema, which many people seem to think was shot sync sound.

I thought the comment was interesting because the early Bruce Lee films (as a kid) are sync and many fans of the 70s films and later completely forget about the sync days (though I do wonder how many are interested in the content of the films -- non Kwan Tak-hing of course). But yeah people who have been following HK should know that time period is mostly post-sync (still sounds better than most of the post sync films of Italy :D) because of outside noise (if shot outdoors) and of course multiple languages. It's always fun to point out when watching with friends things like that's not Jackie Chan's voice there.

I thought the comment was interesting because the early Bruce Lee films (as a kid) are sync and many fans of the 70s films and later completely forget about the sync days (though I do wonder how many are interested in the content of the films -- non Kwan Tak-hing of course). But yeah people who have been following HK should know that time period is mostly post-sync (still sounds better than most of the post sync films of Italy :D) because of outside noise (if shot outdoors) and of course multiple languages. It's always fun to point out when watching with friends things like that's not Jackie Chan's voice there.

According to some of the interviews and stuff that I have read over the years, it probably would have been Police Story III, directed by Stanley Tong, that made the first sync-sound asian picture.

Killer Meteor
According to some of the interviews and stuff that I have read over the years, it probably would have been Police Story III, directed by Stanley Tong, that made the first sync-sound asian picture.

Well, first sync-sound HK film. Japanese movies were always sync-sound.

Some of the early Cantonese films in the 40s/50s were sync-sound and it's a great improvement over the dull Mandarin and nasal Cantonese dubbing that dominated in the 1970s. Kwan Tak-hing has a lovely rich voice and thankfully he dubbed himself in The Magnificent Butcher.

Some of the early Cantonese films in the 40s/50s were sync-sound and it's a great improvement over the dull Mandarin and nasal Cantonese dubbing that dominated in the 1970s. Kwan Tak-hing has a lovely rich voice and thankfully he dubbed himself in The Magnificent Butcher.

Cool. Thanks for that info. I think I should have been more specific than saying asia. :smile:

Guest Markgway

I don't think PS3 was the first sync sound HK movie, I'd imagine it to be a comedy or a drama. There are sync-sound films that date before 1992, but damned if I can think of any off top of my head. PS3 was Jackie Chan's first sync-sound Cantonese film.

masterofoneinchpunch

I think the first HK sync film might be hard to find now with so many of those movies missing from the 1930s and 40s. I'll have to look into it as some point (your Japanese comment KM has me intrigued on Japan's use of ADR; always good to hear say Toshiro Mifune's voice though).

But moral of this post: HK sync films were around decades before Police Story III.

Archived