Japanese Blurays

spannick

not Shaw, but got the JP Disc here now (and Part 3 is with Celestial anyway so...)

SHAOLIN TEMPLE (Jet Li)

ok HD Image, but degrained. much better than any DVD of it though, and it's full uncut (with Animal slaughter, Stabbing and complete Intro)

549cb2266189842.jpg 55ce3b266189851.jpg 28d4d3266189859.jpg cb9a7a266189929.jpg 0f2b0f266189942.jpg cb24ab266189958.jpg 6a33f0266189980.jpg d0010b266190006.jpg d192ff266190027.jpg 77881b266190050.jpg ca0bc3266190070.jpg f58095266190094.jpg 8076f0266190123.jpg 25c160266190161.jpg 4d3a9c266190178.jpg 586a39266190191.jpg

Audio:

Mandarin 2.0 Mono, 5.1 and 2.0 Stereo downmix.

Japanese (2 Dubs)

Bonus: Audio Commentary, Trailers. No english Subs for Movie of course :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Dragon: Yesasia, Cdjapan, Amazon japan. you'd need the Catalog Numbers to find them all. they don't seem to be listed all on the above mentioned sites yet, only partially on one and others on another of the Sites. gotta wait a few weeks before there's full links available. but you can go to www.cdjapan.co.jp and look for "Jimmy Wang" and you'll find some of the titles.

"You had me at Super Inframan...." So, just how difficult is it to make a custom blu ray, anyways; with subs and/or dub? I would have to go to the trouble to do that for this movie since it had such an impact on me when I was a kid. The Image Entertainment dvd left a lot to be desired. The only thing great about it was the packaging. Of course, the problem would be solved if they just released the movie on blu with english subs.

and if they used a GOOD Audio Source for the glorious Dub, which of course exists. and did the editing a better than their patch job.

Someone kindly did me a copy of Heroes Of The East Japanese Blu ray, and added subtitles and an English dub. The quality is excellent, a little too much DNR in places but far superior to any dvd release. Some good titles getting released in Japan, i would love King Boxer and Shaolin Temple (1976), now if only Hong Kong would follow suit and release with English subs!

RogueWarrior

@David Rees you might want to thank the source of the HoE Dub/Sub. He is closer then you think! (not me, but is very active on this thread!)

I have thanked him on PM at another site and am very grateful that he agreed to do it for me......i know he is active here also....:bigsmile:

I've yet to try making a custom blu... I'm a bit intimidated :tongue: I can do custom DVDs blindfolded, but I've had minimal Blu-ray work. In fact, the only Blu-ray I've made was for my own short film, which of course was shot/mastered in HD. I think it's the ripping I still try to get just right.

Someone kindly did me a copy of Heroes Of The East Japanese Blu ray, and added subtitles and an English dub. The quality is excellent, a little too much DNR in places but far superior to any dvd release. Some good titles getting released in Japan, i would love King Boxer and Shaolin Temple (1976), now if only Hong Kong would follow suit and release with English subs!

I wonder if there's anyone kind enough to do me a copy of this, this is one of my favourite Shaws.

If it took this long for a HK blu release for the OAS trilogy we'll be waiting a while.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On that note, my one must have is easily King Boxer. It was pretty much my first Shaw Brothers film, thanks to my dad having me hunt for it for him before the days of the internet. Of course, we searched frantically under the "Five Fingers of Death" title, only to discover a US VHS using the King Boxer title... and an image of Duel of Fists?! :neutral:

109021.jpg

I remember finding this VHS back in the days before DVD. Way back when my friend and I would take day trips, driving around throughout the tri-state area checking out every little Mom and Pop video store we could find. When I saw the box I thought I recognized Ti Lung from photographs I'd seen of him in SEVEN BLOWS OF THE DRAGON. I asked the owner if he would consider selling it. He looked at me like I was crazy "You want to buy it? Well... it never rents anyway." I think he sold it for $5-$8. When we put it on and discovered that it was a Shaw Brothers film... :smile: in letterbox format :bigsmile: we actually cheered! :nerd:Score!!! We were so swept up in the film that we forgot that Ti Lung was supposed to be in it (based on the misleading cover photo). :tongue: When Lo Lieh finally raised his hands in that iconic "Iron Palm" pose with his hands glowing red, we both exclaimed FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH! We recognized the photo from the book FROM BRUCE LEE TO THE NINJAS. It may seem odd to some of the younger collectors, but back then, that was like finding gold in the sand at the beach. It was the first widescreen version I ever saw of a kung fu movie, and it was a glorious find. I believe I still have that tape too! :wink:

Someone kindly did me a copy of Heroes Of The East Japanese Blu ray, and added subtitles and an English dub.

WHAT?! :ooh: Oh man, that is awesome!!! :nerd::bigsmile::tongue: My favorite Shaw Brothers film as well. You lucky guy David! Whoever did that is a champion among fu fans.

Guest Markgway

The Dragon Dynasty DVD of Heroes of the East is very good.

I'd rather see customs of The 14 Amazons or films which don't have good DVDs.

I remember finding this VHS back in the days before DVD. Way back when my friend and I would take day trips, driving around throughout the tri-state area checking out every little Mom and Pop video store we could find. When I saw the box I thought I recognized Ti Lung from photographs I'd seen of him in SEVEN BLOWS OF THE DRAGON. I asked the owner if he would consider selling it. He looked at me like I was crazy "You want to buy it? Well... it never rents anyway." I think he sold it for $5-$8. When we put it on and discovered that it was a Shaw Brothers film... :smile: in letterbox format :bigsmile: we actually cheered! :nerd:Score!!! We were so swept up in the film that we forgot that Ti Lung was supposed to be in it (based on the misleading cover photo). :tongue: When Lo Lieh finally raised his hands in that iconic "Iron Palm" pose with his hands glowing red, we both exclaimed FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH! We recognized the photo from the book FROM BRUCE LEE TO THE NINJAS. It may seem odd to some of the younger collectors, but back then, that was like finding gold in the sand at the beach. It was the first widescreen version I ever saw of a kung fu movie, and it was a glorious find. I believe I still have that tape too! :wink:

Yeah, not only finding it, but seeing that it was in widescreen (and in damn good quality too) was a major bonus! I remember we finally found it via this big-ass book Blockbuster used to have in every one of their stores, basically cataloging everything that they had access to. So we searched "Lo Lieh" in the book, and found King Boxer listed in there... but what threw us off was that the year next to it said "1991". However, we asked someone at a local Blockbuster to see if any in the area had it, and sure enough one about a half hour from home did... so we ran out, gave it a shot, popped it in, and my dad confirmed it pretty quickly!

After downloading the SB catalog from Celestial`s website, I could not believe how many films they had listed as being available in HD. It would be cool if all of these came out but suck for the pocketbook at the same time. But, gotta wonder how many years we gotta wait for these to be released with English subs on blu. If the Jackie Chan collection is any clue then its going to be a long wait. But, I may stick my toes in the water and end up getting the Japanese release of Super Inframan. Maybe I can teach myself to make an custom blu so I can have my subs.

KIDS FROM SHAOLIN Jap Blu is okay too

287e0e269451305.jpg 1257ee269451342.jpg 4ce7c0269451381.jpg c76382269451418.jpg 275b26269451438.jpg a74e49269451479.jpg 739ac9269451495.jpg a0002d269451524.jpg 66a441269451553.jpg 4fee82269451574.jpg 7eef41269451590.jpg 343c9a269451620.jpg

Bonus is some interlaced-HD-Version of the Movie (Japanese Version or something). Main Movie is progressive.

Have all of the Japanese Shaw Brothers blu rays had the original mono? If so, they would seem to have everything that a kung fu fan would want, except English subtitles. But, I guess that that would be something to do for a personal "backup" copy. Or, I could hire a hot Japanese girl to read the subtitles to me while I watch the film. :tongue:

HEROES OF THE EAST Has original mono, but in the wrong (PAL) pitch.

i did not and will not buy SHADOW BOXING to find out how the Audio fares. the rest is not out yet.

Shaws Brothers were using HD masters for some of the U.S. dvd releases which made for pretty good quality. But, it seems that was not the case for the Image Entertainment discs. I might be wrong regarding that cause I am just going by memory. Super Inframan looked a little blurry or perhaps not as focused as it should be. At this point, I think that I am just going to get that one. I can`t afford to replace my whole Shaw collection on blu ray; though it would be nice. Perhaps at some point, these will get released in HK with English subs. At least I have the U.S. blu of 5 Deadly Venoms, Heroes Two and 5 Element Ninja. Will be curious to see if the Japanese version of 5 Deadly Venoms is any better quality wise. I also would like to get the Japanese blu of The 36th Chamber of Shaolin since DD messed up the U.S. release so badly. Why has blu ray been such a curse for these kung fu movies?

got a few from the latest Paramount Batch.

all have 2.0 LPCM Mandarin and Optional Japanese Subs. Bonus: interlaced Trailers from HK DVD at most.

Edit: Audio has super-minor ambience Stereo remixed. nothing compared to the gigantic 5.1 from HK Disc, which is atrocious in comparison.

f97d66276856282.jpg c104fa276856292.jpg 01ae3b276856303.jpg d1cfe4276856311.jpg 0f911e276856319.jpg 3f69ab276856329.jpg 270014276856343.jpg 3332fd276856355.jpg 71f8ae276856373.jpg ded93c276856387.jpg 35b192276856399.jpg 154dcd276856406.jpg

Spannick, given no Eng subs, do you think the video/audio quality still make these worth a dip? Or should I hold out for possible future Eng sub and or dubbed fare?

I really want KINGBOXER and THE CHINESE BOXER on Blu Ray.

:nerd:

nothing "really" remarkable, but a good upgrade nonetheless. up to you what you wanna do with them in their state as released.

KING BOXER Caps / Edit: Original Mono Mandarin this time.

76c3ba276917262.jpg bc089e276917304.jpg b4a5c0276917379.jpg bc580d276917460.jpg 9aa840276917476.jpg 074417276917495.jpg 2eca17276917519.jpg 1432f1276917564.jpg bce9d7276917588.jpg 233403276917606.jpg cdda00276917626.jpg db2f53276917669.jpg

Archived