Japanese Blurays

spannick

ok, there's a bunch coming. first, already released and here is MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PPWB-300230

None will have English Subtitles, but Japanese Bonus Features seem to be the norm.

this has The Japanese Trailer, a Booklet with Japanese Stills and the Japanese Dub for the Movie. also a framecut-less Japanese Print in 1.85 Letterbox, sourced from old VHS-Master Tape. Plus the HK Theatrical Trailer. All Bonus is thankfully in SD and not upscaled.

some Shots from the Main Movie:

e0c078253384968.jpg 960ba5253385032.jpg d85273253385155.jpg d072bf253385249.jpg 6953d8253385367.jpg 523582253385516.jpg 7a4f42253385665.jpg 60d9aa253385727.jpg 1e3919253385788.jpg

Audio is the same Mandarin 5.1 as on the HK DVD (no added FX, but surrounding Music enhancements and such stuff), and Japanese Mono. no Cantonese.

next titles coming are 36TH CHAMBER Trilogy (not of interest to me, as i have the French Set), HEROES OF THE EAST, SHADOW BOXING

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
David Rees

Would love most of these on Blu ray, but lack of English subs is a no-no for me...Will these ever get a release in Hong Kong?

OldPangYau

I'm glad these are still sneaking out in some countries... still waiting for King Boxer and Boxer From Shantung to get the HD treatment.

In my next life I am going to refuse to even get involved with this whole Kung Fu madness thing. :xd::tongue::cry:

I would hope at some point in time these will come out on blu with English subtitles. But, waiting to get what I want the way I want it is causing all of the hairs on my head to turn grey. Probably gonna be a 100 yrs old before all of these see the light of day. :bigsmile:

At least there is no doubt about these being true HD.

Tex Killer
In my next life I am going to refuse to even get involved with this whole Kung Fu madness thing. :xd::tongue::cry:

Madness is right word. When saw some of those on vhs was having frustration of wrong aspect ratio, dubs and cuts.Limited availability also. Apperance of dvd and bootlegs corrected issues here and there. Then came celestial and ivl releases, that made me happy. Permanently when it came to Shaws( when almost, I would still like to see ziieagle titles on dvd but I think its not possible even on theory).

Luckily I did not get bothered with framecuts, ghosting or demand english dubs. Or did not care about soundtrack that much whether it was canto or mandarin, remix or not as long as chinese fine. Or keep thinking will titles I have seen many times already get bludisc release.

I`ve done 4-5 updates tho thats not much I think...

HEROES OF THE EAST by Twin / Paramount doesn't look as good as MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN, but as that company apparently never applies DNR themself, it must be Celestial's Doing.

5451a3259964525.jpg 230f28259964532.jpg 3fcddf259964540.jpg 5a3a96259964545.jpg 14b8d3259964549.jpg fd4f75259964558.jpg cfb0d3259964568.jpg aca2c4259964575.jpg 943402259964587.jpg e13edd259964598.jpg fcfed6259964606.jpg ccd6f7259964615.jpg

HK-Trailer (HD), Celestial Trailer (SD), Gordon Liu (22 Mins) Cantonese with JP subs.

no Japanese Audio or old framecut-free Version either.

at this point, i'm only interested in getting good copies of some of the still lost english dubbed shaws. (original dubs , that is )

then you won't find anything of interest in this thread, as no Japanese Celestial Release ever had English Dub.

Killer Meteor
HEROES OF THE EAST by Twin / Paramount doesn't look as good as MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN, but as that company apparently never applies DNR themself, it must be Celestial's Doing.

Most of the Celestial transfers over the years seem rather DNRed and videoy. They don't really strike me as looking like 1970s film stock.

Most of the Celestial transfers over the years seem rather DNRed and videoy. They don't really strike me as looking like 1970s film stock.

And, sadly, that isn`t the worst of their problems. :sad:

just noticed the Audio on the HEROES JP Blu is faulty; it's in PAL Pitch with Conversion artifacts audible. Great work, whoever did it!

Killer Meteor
just noticed the Audio on the HEROES JP Blu is faulty; it's in PAL Pitch with Conversion artifacts audible. Great work, whoever did it!

I hope you're not paying for all these!

What's worse?

Can`t forget about all the "cuts" to the uncut remasters. They really did a number on these great films. You would think they brought Jack the Ripper back to help "restore" the movies. I would rather them leave in a missing scene even if there was print damage that they could not fix instead of cutting that scene out. Of course, other films were edited for content. Or, a different edit of a known classic. I think there was even one movie where when they restored it, a scene was put back in the wrong location. Added bird sounds, foley, etc.

I hope you're not paying for all these!

oh yes indeed i have to buy them. there's no torrents for such stuff. these torrent guys can just steal, not buy something on their own which is a bit more expensive.

Can`t forget about all the "cuts" to the uncut remasters. They really did a number on these great films. .

Is there list somewhere which are cut?I` m aware of NOAS, avenging eagle, to kill a jaguar and bells of death. I think did read 14 amazong and chinese boxer are missing footage also:ooh:

there's no list. they started with the framecuts when they did real anamorphic Masters and almost stopped cutting in the last year of DVD Releases (utter junk like FIGHTING FOOL is unedited). everything (!) in between is more or less - heavily framecut.

Is there list somewhere which are cut?I` m aware of NOAS, avenging eagle, to kill a jaguar and bells of death. I think did read 14 amazong and chinese boxer are missing footage also:ooh:

"I pitty the fool..." that tries to compile all of the cuts of all of the movies in a list. That would be an extensive project to undertake. Best bet is just to search out individual movies and see what people complain about regarding them. Or, there are probably some threads somewhere that bring up the subject. Sadly, though, there may have been some threads on sites no longer with us.

more titles have been announced for September:

OAS Trilogy

Chinese Boxer

King Boxer

Come drink with me

Golden Swallow

Shaolin Temple

Five Venoms

Mighty Peking Man

Super Inframan

Flying Guillotine

Heroic Ones

i could have missed one or two.

geting all i guess except OAS Trilogy. they're cheap too (for Jap Prices that is)

OAS Trilogy

Chinese Boxer

King Boxer

Come drink with me

Golden Swallow

Shaolin Temple

Five Venoms

Mighty Peking Man

Super Inframan

Flying Guillotine

Heroic Ones

geting all i guess except OAS Trilogy. they're cheap too (for Jap Prices that is)

Nice! Lord knows we won't get these in the US thanks to Dragon Dynasty pretty much being in a coma (except for Five Venoms, obviously).

On that note, my one must have is easily King Boxer. It was pretty much my first Shaw Brothers film, thanks to my dad having me hunt for it for him before the days of the internet. Of course, we searched frantically under the "Five Fingers of Death" title, only to discover a US VHS using the King Boxer title... and an image of Duel of Fists?! :neutral:

109021.jpg

Still *PRAYING* for a Boxer From Shantung blu to come out SOMEWHERE!!!

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if some of the blus that have had PAL-to-NTSC 1080i issues in the US (Water Margin, Heroic Ones, etc) will have proper 1080p transfers.

OAS Trilogy

Chinese Boxer

King Boxer

Come drink with me

Golden Swallow

Shaolin Temple

Five Venoms

Mighty Peking Man

Super Inframan

Flying Guillotine

Heroic Ones

Where do we order these from?

Archived