Skiptrace (2015) - Jackie Chan & Johnny Knoxville

SamSeed

massa_yoda
Sam Fell is no longer directing the film...the directing reins now will go to Renny Harlin. And just so everyone knows, Jackie Chan came up with the original story himself. Filming begins in August.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/32208/renny-harlin-to-direct-skiptrace

I find this interesting since, IIRC, Harlin was going to direct another idea by Jackie back in 2001, "Nosebleed" before that production halted.

One Armed Boxer

Fan Bingbing has also been announced as playing the niece of Chan's character, who gets into trouble with the crime syndicate who he's been tailing.

As much as I love Fan Bingbing, the shadow of Seann William Scott hangs over this whole production like a giant black cloud, preventing me from having any level of anticipation to want to see it at all.

This rather over enthusiastic article from the guys over at Twitch did make me laugh though, of which the writer seems to think the pairing of Chan & Scott is nothing short of genius. To each their own I guess -

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/05/harlin-chan-william-scott-and-a-little-bingbing-come-together-in-action-comedy-skiptrace.html

Good news for some, worse news for others.

Seann William Scott is out, Johnny Knoxville is in.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/johnny-knoxville-jackie-chan-china-set-skiptrace-828565/

It depends on the material whether Knoxville is a total goof or can play it straight. His role in WALKING TALL was not total goofball, but he managed to play it pretty well. Maybe the same will come with Skiptrace.

and so you all know...shooting has just begun on the film

ShaOW!linDude
It depends on the material whether Knoxville is a total goof or can play it straight. His role in WALKING TALL was not total goofball, but he managed to play it pretty well.

True story. I really liked his performance in that. He had good chemistry with Dwayne Johnson. The Ringer was on recently and I almost watched it again. Now I wish I had. He was pretty funny in that.

Personally I wish they had brought him in and kept SWS, too.

Hmm, he's another one who had good chemistry with Dwayne Johnson. You know what? Maybe they should be recasting Chan's role. Wonder who they should get?

True story. I really liked his performance in that. He had good chemistry with Dwayne Johnson. The Ringer was on recently and I almost watched it again. Now I wish I had. He was pretty funny in that.

Personally I wish they had brought him in and kept SWS, too.

Hmm, he's another one who had good chemistry with Dwayne Johnson. You know what? Maybe they should be recasting Chan's role. Wonder who they should get?

Well, Chan came up with the original story for the film so of course, he's going to get casted in the film. This may sounds weird, but I can see Chan and Johnson doing a film together in the long run...wishful thinking

One Armed Boxer

Twitch have reported that tragedy has struck the production of this movie with the drowning of cameraman Chan Kwok-hung -

Tragedy On Set Of Jackie Chan's SKIPTRACE As Cameraman Drowns

Tragedy has struck the production of Jackie Chan star vehicle Skiptrace with reports from the South China Morning Post stating that a boat carrying the crew of the Renny Harlin directed picture has capsized off the coast of Lantau Island resulting in the death of cameraman Chan Kwok-hung by drowning. There are not currently reports of any other injuries.

Johnny Knoxville and Fan Bingbing also star and there are conflicting reports about whether any cast were also on board the capsized vessel or if it was only crew. The 51 year old Chan Kwok-hung was a veteran of the Hong Kong film community having also worked on Stephen Chow's God Of Cookery, among others.

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/12/tragedy-on-set-of-jackie-chans-skiptrace-as-cameraman-drowns.html

galvatron1976

Jackie Chan's cinematographer killed while filming

18 Dec – A cinematographer was killed during the shooting of Jackie Chan's new film, "Skiptrace".

According to CRI News, the man, 51-year-old Chan Kwok Hung, was among the eight-member crew who was filming on a boat off the coast of Lantau Island on 16 December, when it capsized, causing everyone on board to fall into the water.

Jackie reportedly was standing on the shore as it happened and had jumped into the sea to save Chan, but was unable to find him.

His unconscious body was later found, but was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Seven others, however, managed to swim to the shore.

On 17 December, Jackie turned to his Weibo to express his sorrow about the turn of event, saying that he felt guilty and remorseful for failing to rescue Chan.

Chan was a 20-year veteran in the film industry and had worked as a cinematographer in many films, including Stephen Chow's 1996 comedy, "God of Cookery".

https://my.entertainment.yahoo.com/news/jackie-chans-cinematographer-killed-while-filming-054500836.html

Looks interesting, if basically a Rush Hour rip off. Nevertheless, a new Chan film always gives me a little hope, and Renny Harlin knows his way around an action sequence, just need the trailer.

DragonClaws

It will be interesting to see how this actually turns out. Knoxville, Chan & Renny Harlin never thought Id see those three connected to the same project. This project sounds more interesting than another Rush Hour movie.

Drunken Monk

I'm not sold on this one just yet. It was kind of refreshing hearing Jackie make a boob joke and while the action looked pretty solid, it definitely seems like there's going to be some questionable comedic hijinks going on.

I actually quite liked it. It's nice to see Jackie in a mainstream comedy again and I don't hate Knoxville as much as I thought (plus perhaps his willingness to do stupid stunts will reflect in the film). I'm not expecting a masterpiece or anything but as an enjoyable action comedy it looks like it might just deliver. Plus, it looks like I'll actually be able to see Jackie at the cinema for a change, instead of straight to DVD.

ShaOW!linDude

For anyone interested, I noticed this is now up on Netflix. I'll probably check it out at some point. I was afraid to part with my money when the dvd was released after the disappointment of Police Story: Lockdown.

• Like 2

I have been unable to finish this crap since I rented it, until today. It took me a grueling 6 hours to get through it. The only praise that I can give this movie is that I liked it better than Police Story: Lockdown (which is probably the worse JC movie that I have seen) and the girls are easy on the eye. Oh, and I learnt some neat little things about Chinese culture. Otherwise, this is just a rehash of the worse elements of any previous JC movie. You get a little Rush Hour, Operation Condor and Police Story: Lockdown with stale choreographed fights! Again, this is a step up from Lockdown. But, if you can imagine almost every single stunt or fight trick that Jackie has ever done, well, he does it in this movie. I sort of liked the fight between Jackie and the Russian woman which involved the doll within a doll bit. That was somewhat funny. Otherwise, Jackie needs to hire a writer, director and get a fight choreographer if he is going to continue making movies, imo. But, I can't wait to see Kung-Fu Yoga. It really looks like more of the same crap, but worse. Sorry to say, but I really wish that he would have retired from making action films like he said he was going to do. Hate to be so harsh on a review but there was nothing about this movie that I liked or could recommend to any fan of JC.

Edited by reason108
  • Like 5