Chinatown Kid remastered/ 120min international version

teako170

This has both films on 1 disc? Funny that they wouldn't push that feature on the packaging. thanks for the info!

It sure does. And you do a realize that this is a commercial "bootleg," right?

Keep in mind that it was sourced from two versions:

- The downbeat ending cut (which is what you're looking for) was sourced from the now defunct Southgate VHS (in widescreen) version. As far as I know, this is the best copy around of that particular edit. And it is dubbed in english.

- And the other version of the film was sourced from the Celestial HK release; with an option of the english dubbed track (again, taken from the Southgate VHS release). For the scenes they didn't have english tracks for, I think they just subtitled it.

I know it sounds like a mess, but it's worth purchasing if you want to see Chinatown Kid in every form possible. I doubt you'll see a legit release of the downbeat ending cut any time soon.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This has both films on 1 disc? Funny that they wouldn't push that feature on the packaging. thanks for the info!
The version I have says "Chinatown Kid 1.5" on the cover and has both versions. It's a 2 sided disc one film on each side.

uFhqutE.jpg

Superfly... my bad.

Apologies, the one you want is the one listed above. NOT the link I gave you. I glanced at the cover real quick and thought that was it.

P'an ku: Thanks for the correction.

(I seriously feel stupid)

mpm74, I also have a burn of one by VenomsFan that is also 2 hours. Do you know if it's the same as the one on the Red Sun disc? I've never had a chance to A/B them, but I have watched both and I don't remember there being much difference.

Edit: answered below

Eastern Evil
mpm74' date=' I also have a burn of one by VenomsFan that is also 2 hours. Do you know if it's the same as the one on the Red Sun disc? I've never had a chance to A/B them, but I have watched both and I don't remember there being much difference.[/quote']

I would bet the Red Sun is the same as the venomsfan version. It should have a commentary for a specific piece of the movie & the alternate ending.

The disc made by venomsfan was a great thing, much respect for that!

OK, I just pulled them both out and the Red Sun version is 1:54:23 and no commentary or extras while the VenomsFan version is 1:59:59 with 6 alternative scenes and a 3 1/2 minute informative commentary.

Here's a quick comparison of the image quality

Red Sun:

BP2huAB.png

VenomsFan:

P7QCBdP.png

OK' date=' I just pulled them both out and the Red Sun version is 1:54:23 and no commentary or extras while the VenomsFan version is 1:59:59 with 6 alternative scenes and a 3 1/2 minute informative commentary.[/quote']

Sounds like Venomsfan's is the ultimate version. I just watched the Celestial version online. Very different film from the one I remember.

Sounds like Venomsfan's is the ultimate version. I just watched the Celestial version online. Very different film from the one I remember.

Venomsfan's is the ultimate version, period. That's my best version of that movie.

Venomsfan's is the ultimate version, period. That's my best version of that movie.

Thanks bigrogie both discs are fine. I now have 3 different versions of the movie. The venomsfan 120 mins cut with all the additional footage as extras. The Red Sun 114 mins version and the legit IVL 86 minute atrocity. I did have a 4th version with the 1986 british Warner Bros VHS at 108 mins. My head has been truly fucked over the matter.

In terms of footage available the venomsfan disc I have seems to be THE Definitive one.

Thanks Bigrogie

Treacherous Mastermind

I hate to say it, but panmedia did a good job on Chinatown Kid. I don't need to hunt down a VHS tape, or the one version DVD. Maybe Jack Stiller was a bit useful.

sifu iron perm
The version I have says "Chinatown Kid 1.5" on the cover and has both versions. It's a 2 sided disc one film on each side.

uFhqutE.jpg

where can i pick this one up?

Yes, back in the day I remember seeing them. They only had a few titles though.

Man I've been around since the 70s and never heard of them.

sifu iron perm
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/movie/studio/Desert+Island+Films/a/Desert+Island+Films.htm

Looks like they jump in and get stuff as it becomes "public". Hey, good bless them, as some of this stuff would disappear otherwise while some other company print the billionth copy of ET or something.

do you know if this version contains the misreble ending or the happy?

Shaolin Patriot

uFhqutE.jpg

Does anyone know if the 1.5 version has better image quality than the non-1.5 version? I have the non-1.5 (also a double-sided disc with both cuts). I wouldn't always judge from the "digitally remastered & restored" statement on the cover.

I just got this from eBAY a week ago.

The image quality of the cover is worse and the word "extended" is mis-spelled at the top.

Is this an actual Bonzai pressing -- or a non-Bonzai pressing of a Bonzai disc, if there is such a thing?

post-1734-144191903786_thumb.jpg

Treacherous Mastermind
I just got this from eBAY a week ago.

The image quality of the cover is worse and the word "extended" is mis-spelled at the top.

Is this an actual Bonzai pressing -- or a non-Bonzai pressing of a Bonzai disc, if there is such a thing?

My Chinatown Kid DVD (Bonzai/Panmedia) has the same flaws. As for the pressing, you could ask Jack Stiller(Bonzai overlord) about that, although I'm not sure if he shows his face around kung fu forums anymore.

JohnnieFreeze
On 5/8/2013 at 7:47 PM, OldPangYau said:

If someone can at least get a print of this to work with, perhaps composite it with the remastered footage, it's doable. It would be a pinch "patchwork", but it would be the best possible way to see it. Of course, there would also be the task of getting the Mandarin track to match, in which we might be stuck with English.

FLK Cinema is doing something like this..combining the uncut footage with the remastered print http://www.flkcinema.com/product.php?mid=1818

Archived