Chinatown Kid remastered/ 120min international version

teako170

NoKUNGFUforYU

I have always seen it with the ending where Fu Sheng dies, even on US TV. I also saw it on VHS and he died there as well. Only recently did I see a torrent of the happy ending.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This movie is such an oddity. I have never seen another Shaw film that had 2 versions. Yes, movies were censored for violence and nudity or for whatever else reason. But, this is the only time I know of where you had almost 2 different movies made out of one. I could understand if someone just used some editing to suggest something but as has been mentioned, these are alt takes, re-shoots, change of storyline, etc.

Here is my understanding of the situation and please fill in the gaps or correct me if I am wrong: Even after the huge hit of Enter The Dragon, these Shaw films were still mostly only playing in Chinatown theaters intended for mostly an asian audience? Of course, there would have been non asian people watching and spreading the word. I read the article on how the bootlegging of the Shaws movies got its start in the United States. That was an eye opener and I am sure it glossed over a lot of details(of the illegal kind). My point being that since all the early boots were of the Fu Sheng death ending then I would assume that is how it played in Chinatown theaters since that is where the boots mostly came from originally.

Was it that the movie was re-worked for one specific territory? Or, was the budget there to do 2 edits of the film from the start. The Shaws were some cheap bastards for sure and it seems rather odd that they would allow a director to go back and re-shoot endings and such since they would have had to re build sets, hire the actors back, etc. I would guess that all the scenes were filmed at the same time. Maybe Chang Cheh had 2 cuts of the film and then decided which he liked better and that was the one that went out to theaters. I don`t know but just thinking about the logic and cost of filmmaking and what the real reason of 2 cuts would be.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I saw it in SF Chinatown when it came out, and he died in that version, so it is odd to see him "live" after so many years and versions where he died. Maybe he filmed both endings and the happy ending was in better shape than the sad one? I noticed that he had the blood on him, but I don't think they showed him get stabbed, etc, in the happy ending version. He just has a buttoned up jacket as they take him away. I'm sure they filmed both endings within minutes of each other. I don't think he saw one and said "hmm, let's try something different..." and went back to the studio the next day.

I recently bought this DVD at a local recordstore which also buys used DVDs , this DVD hasnt got any informations written on it except the storyline... wonder what edit I have..the runningtime is only 81 minutes the weird thing is the audio..its partly mandarin (no subs at all) and partly german...

post-37-144191898195_thumb.jpg

Killer Meteor
I saw it in SF Chinatown when it came out, and he died in that version, so it is odd to see him "live" after so many years and versions where he died. Maybe he filmed both endings and the happy ending was in better shape than the sad one? I noticed that he had the blood on him, but I don't think they showed him get stabbed, etc, in the happy ending version. He just has a buttoned up jacket as they take him away. I'm sure they filmed both endings within minutes of each other. I don't think he saw one and said "hmm, let's try something different..." and went back to the studio the next day.

I think the alternate ending was for territories that had much stricter laws on the depictions of gangsters and other crimes? Game of Death has two different endings in Chinese, as the Singapore censors wanted Billy Lo arrested.

OpiumKungFuCracker

So if anyone knows, was this ever released uncut on vhs at some point and what are the legit vhs released covers looked like?? I need to differentiate the boot from the realness, yah feel me?

So if anyone knows, was this ever released uncut on vhs at some point and what are the legit vhs released covers looked like?? I need to differentiate the boot from the realness, yah feel me?

As far as I know, the only legitimate VHS release was from Southgate (now defunct):

http://www.cityonfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/video_legit_shaw.jpg

This contained the "violent" ending.

As far as the legitimate IVL DVD release, that one contained the "happy ending".

Read about them here: http://www.cityonfire.com/chinatown-kid-1977/

There was a "boot" dvd that came out htat contained both edits (and it was ripped from the VHS and the IVL). And this is a rare case where I'll settle for boots.

Unless there's something I don't know of.

OpiumKungFuCracker
As far as I know, the only legitimate VHS release was from Southgate (now defunct):

http://www.cityonfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/video_legit_shaw.jpg

This contained the "violent" ending.

As far as the legitimate IVL DVD release, that one contained the "happy ending".

Read about them here: http://www.cityonfire.com/chinatown-kid-1977/

There was a "boot" dvd that came out htat contained both edits (and it was ripped from the VHS and the IVL). And this is a rare case where I'll settle for boots.

Unless there's something I don't know of.

Yeah, I'll be getting a vhs of this movie, not sure which version in the mail soon. Not sure if it's a boot or not but I'll post it here. I took a gamble since the guy who sells it say it's 100 real and not a boot.

i'm not ashamed to say i have the panmedia boot version --- because in my opinion this was the best version available. i will buy the legit version if there ever is one. also , i may be wrong but isn't the panmedia version just the southgate vhs put on dvd ? wasn't tokyoshock to do this one ?

Yeah, I'll be getting a vhs of this movie, not sure which version in the mail soon. Not sure if it's a boot or not but I'll post it here. I took a gamble since the guy who sells it say it's 100 real and not a boot.

Take a picture of it!

I re-watched both versions back-to-back over two evenings. Again, the IVL is truly disappointing. I wonder if anyone has done a fan project that utilizes the majority of the IVL as its primary source and intercuts the deleted bits from the Southgate version into it? The only fan version I've seen (mentioned earlier in this thread) uses the SG as its primary source and cuts in small bits from the IVL.

I have 2 warner home video releases. The british one and the dutch version I think?

I got the boot dvd which only had the uncut version, not both edits.

British version from what I remember was cut. Dutch version was longer and I thought it was uncut. But I do remember watching the boot dvd later and that was abit longer in the endfight. Nothing really violent, just a extra part I don't recall seeing in the video releases.

post-1020-144191899183_thumb.jpg

OK bear with me on this. The version that I have only known is the dubbed version where Fu Sheng dies. Is that the longer cut?

And I am to understand Celestial release is the subtitles happy ending cut which is shorter?

It's longer... But it's a different edit with alternate scenes more so than missing ones.

Neither version is particularly good, fanboys aside, but I actually feel the narrative thrust of the Domestic version is better/more logical, even if the ending is trash. What the movie really needs is a redux.

It's longer... But it's a different edit with alternate scenes more so than missing ones.

Neither version is particularly good, fanboys aside, but I actually feel the narrative thrust of the Domestic version is better/more logical, even if the ending is trash. What the movie really needs is a redux.

Think I'm going to have to track down both versions

Hi can anyone help? I am desperately seeking the full UNCUT 114 minutes version of the Chinatown Kid. I have the IVL DVD release which is the taiwanese version. It is cut down to 86 minutes and the ending is different. Fu Sheng just gets arrested instead of dying. I had the 1986 UK VHS version by Warner Bros which had the original ending but still had 6 mins cut out. And sadly I threw that version away without relaizing what an atrocity that IVL release is. I realize after an informative conversation with fans on facebook that the original version was never officially release on DVD. But was on VHS. Does anyone know where I could get hold of a bootleg DVD of the 114 minute version. Or even a VHS of it? And would anyone be willing to sell me it if they have it? Thanks.

Hi can anyone help? I am desperately seeking the full UNCUT 114 minutes version of the Chinatown Kid. I have the IVL DVD release which is the taiwanese version. It is cut down to 86 minutes and the ending is different. Fu Sheng just gets arrested instead of dying. I had the 1986 UK VHS version by Warner Bros which had the original ending but still had 6 mins cut out. And sadly I threw that version away without relaizing what an atrocity that IVL release is. I realize after an informative conversation with fans on facebook that the original version was never officially release on DVD. But was on VHS. Does anyone know where I could get hold of a bootleg DVD of the 114 minute version. Or even a VHS of it? And would anyone be willing to sell me it if they have it? Thanks.

PM me. I can help you with a DVD-R

• Administrator

Hey all, I just recovered my unfinished book from an old computer, and here is an excerpt regarding the different versions of the film. Please note that this was written at least 12 years ago, so the Pan Media version didn't exist yet, and this bit is from my raw draft (pre-first draft edit) before I had finished researching or anything. But it may answer a few questions...

Just want to share a bit of technical info for viewers of this very enjoyable Shaw classic. The release of this film on DVD by IVL / Celestial is not the ultimate edition you might expect from them, but it has some interesting differences from the dubbed version that I've seen so many times. Some lucky fans may have discovered the version that Steeplechase released on VHS many years back, in a dubbed widescreen version. The picture was a little dark, but with a running time of approximately 1:54, an uncropped image, and with all the carnage intact, it was certainly a great representation of the film. Not only is the new Celestial DVD shorter by nearly a half hour, but it features some completely different footage and an alternate ending! The print they restored looks stunning, but some of the edits are down-right jarring. There are three main gangsters (Lo Meng, Kuo Choi, and Wang Lung Wei) in this version, completely omitting an entire subplot following a fourth gangster. Several great fights are missing, and Fu Sheng's more violent and blatantly criminal acts are edited out, downplaying his immersion in the underworld. But most curious, are the scenes between Fu Sheng and Kuo Choi's characters at the gangster's hideout. The VHS version shows a super groovy, psychedelic place where Kuo acts like the violent scum he is. The DVD version features some of the same dialogue, but in completely different takes on a much less elaborate set. It also presents a more sympathetic version of Kuo's character. In fact, in the DVD

version he seems like he could be a misunderstood hero for most of the film. The dubbed VHS version ends much more dramatically than the digital one.

***SPOILER ALERT*** for the rest of the info.

In the dubbed one, Fu Sheng kills Kuo Choi and dies from a knife in the gut. While the DVD shows both men being arrested, with Fu gladly accepting his just punishment.

For those who care, there's also a crummy looking, full-frame, dubbed bootleg DVD out there from a company called Ground Zero. This version shares more scenes in common with the dubbed tape including the ending (minus a short coda), but only runs 1:29, and has all the violence edited out.

Since the Steeplechase VHS is long out of print, newer fans will probably only ever see these two heavily edited DVD representations, and that's a shame. The fight footage missing includes a great gang rumble with prolonged duels between Lo Meng and Kuo Choi, and Wang Lung Wei and Fu Sheng. It would be wonderful if Celestial re-released this film as a "Special Uncut Edition", with the alternate footage available as extras, but... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that.

This the one I have (which contains both versions of the film). I believe this is what you're looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Chinatown-Kid-Alexander-Fu-Sheng/dp/B000FEILBG/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1412353374&sr=1-1&keywords=Chinatown+kid

I was part of that Facebook conversation. lol

This the one I have (which contains both versions of the film). I believe this is what you're looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Chinatown-Kid-Alexander-Fu-Sheng/dp/B000FEILBG/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1412353374&sr=1-1&keywords=Chinatown+kid

This has both films on 1 disc? Funny that they wouldn't push that feature on the packaging. thanks for the info!

Archived