Chinatown Kid remastered/ 120min international version

teako170

....not gonna happen :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Had high hopes for this to someday surface and been talking with Celestial about it.

After some digging, it appears they don't have the print for the 120 minute version to restore.

Guess we'll forever be stuck with the abbreviated "Happy•Happy•Joy•Joy" ending.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Had high hopes for this to someday surface and been talking with Celestial about it.

After some digging, it appears they don't have the print for the 120 minute version to restore.

Ah man... when I saw the thread title I clicked on it with Shaolin swiftness thinking a small miracle was occurring. Shit. :squigglemouth:

The Dragon
Ah man... when I saw the thread title I clicked on it with Shaolin swiftness thinking a small miracle was occurring. Shit. :squigglemouth:

Lmao...

That's pretty swift. :nerd:

ahhhh yes---remember when CELESTIAL said that they or nobody else had full useable copies of TO KILL A MASTERMIND and other titles. remember when CELESTIAL said that full english dub versions of LIFE GAMBLE,VALLEY OF THE FANGS and GOLDEN SWALLOW (to name a few) didn't exist. ahhhh yes---- who to believe.

ahhhh yes---remember when CELESTIAL said that they or nobody else had full useable copies of TO KILL A MASTERMIND and other titles. remember when CELESTIAL said that full english dub versions of LIFE GAMBLE,VALLEY OF THE FANGS and GOLDEN SWALLOW (to name a few) didn't exist. ahhhh yes---- who to believe.

Haha. How true.....

There is a print of this (I think) with the Alamo Drafthouse.

That Dan's collection? He needs to loan it to them Celestial boys so we can get this.

wasn't an uncut english dub of CHINATOWN KID to be released by media blasters before they reneged on their shaw brothers commitment ? that would have meant that they had a full version.

One Armed Boxer

I remember back when I was first getting into the Shaw Brothers thanks to the Celestial re-releases, VenomsFan, who I believe sometimes frequents this forum, put out a kind of ultimate custom DVD of 'Chinatown Kid' which had the full uncut version.

I stumbled across it back in 2004, and passed up the opportunity, because I didn't really know the value of fan customs back then. Jeez, if only I could turn back time, it even came with a limited edition booklet. Trawling the internet now the only reference I could find to it was this - http://www.network54.com/Forum/171686/thread/1079556052/last-1079833843/Chinatown+Kid+Fansite+DVD

shaolinkng7
wasn't an uncut english dub of CHINATOWN KID to be released by media blasters before they reneged on their shaw brothers commitment ? that would have meant that they had a full version.

Perhaps Chinatown Kid was the reason Media Blasters reneged. Just because your DVD company gets the rights to release a movie on DVD does not mean the studio can deliver you a complete print of the film. It appears that Media Blasters and others were doing their own restoration on these films. The English track to Black Magic sounds like it sourced from the WN bootleg. And another DVD ( Was it "Life Gamble"? ) appears to be a combination of the Celestial widescreen restoration and a different print cropped. If I was media Blasters and I knew that an uncut print of "Chinatown Kid" was in the hands of collectors, I would hold off releasing the film until I could access to that print. The alternative, I release "Chinatown Kid" and some other DVD company in another country releases a better version. Which would you buy, the edited Media Blasters DVD or pay a little extra for a German DVD with the uncut version? If Media Blasters was unable to acquire an uncut print then that would be incentive not to spend money on a release, or at the least hold the release up.

This same thing happens all the time with old American films made between 1910 and 1958. The studios did not take care of their master prints, and everything you see today came from the vaults of collectors. Hallmark had the U.S. rights to the Hal Roach library, released the best available copies of the Laurel and Hardy films on DVD, then Universal released better copies in Europe. While the expensive German DVD set ( going for about $50 per disc ) was a best seller on Amazon, the inexpensive Hallmark release ( going for about $10 per disc ) did not sell at all, even after the price was cut.

I have this but haven't looked at it in years. If I recall correctly, the main film is the Southgate version (non-remastered) and then, as extras, were clips from the remastered IVL which were not in the SG version.

The booklet you mentioned was my article, Chinatown Lost, which compared the two versions.

I remember back when I was first getting into the Shaw Brothers thanks to the Celestial re-releases, VenomsFan, who I believe sometimes frequents this forum, put out a kind of ultimate custom DVD of 'Chinatown Kid' which had the full uncut version.

I stumbled across it back in 2004, and passed up the opportunity, because I didn't really know the value of fan customs back then. Jeez, if only I could turn back time, it even came with a limited edition booklet. Trawling the internet now the only reference I could find to it was this - http://www.network54.com/Forum/171686/thread/1079556052/last-1079833843/Chinatown+Kid+Fansite+DVD

OldPangYau

If someone can at least get a print of this to work with, perhaps composite it with the remastered footage, it's doable. It would be a pinch "patchwork", but it would be the best possible way to see it. Of course, there would also be the task of getting the Mandarin track to match, in which we might be stuck with English.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
If someone can at least get a print of this to work with, perhaps composite it with the remastered footage, it's doable. It would be a pinch "patchwork", but it would be the best possible way to see it. Of course, there would also be the task of getting the Mandarin track to match, in which we might be stuck with English.

The problem with patching the different prints together, is that some of the scenes are even shot on alternate versions of sets with different costumes. It almost seems like they filmed part of it, then Chang decided to re-film certain scenes. Curious why he did that.

Did you guys check out Teako's write-up (linked a few posts above)? It's really good.

Guest Markgway

This is a rare example where I'd rather watch the uncut version dubbed than the edited version subtitled.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
This is a rare example where I'd rather watch the uncut version dubbed than the edited version subtitled.

Ha ha ha... me too!

For those that haven't seen the dubbed version, imagine this- I was introduced to this film via the two hour long English dubbed version. I had watched it many times by the time the IVL/Celestial DVDs started coming out. When CHINATOWN KID was announced from them, I bought it the second it was available. I was so psyched to finally see this great film remastered and subtitled. Then I started noticing all these things that were missing, and sometimes different! Then suddenly it was over. Quite a shock.

Every version I've seen has Fu Sheng dying at the end. Does this mean the uncut version is even more downbeat and if so, how?

That is the downbeat ending.

So, what was the happy ending I heard about in this thread? Or was that a joke and I'm just being unbelievably dim about it?

Southgate = Fu Sheng dies (non-happy ending)

IVL = Fu Sheng doesn't die. Extended ending scene of school children (happyhappy joyjoy)

Archived