Your Top Five Guilty Pleasures

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer
On 5/2/2013 at 10:52 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

China Strike Force (2000) - Yes, it's got Coolio as the main villain who spends the whole movie yelling "I could get used to this shit!", yes it gets rid of the two main fighting talents - Mark Dacascos & Kim Won-jin - in completely unsatisfying style. But...it does have some fantastic vehicle stunts including an F1 car vs a Lamborghini, & a motorbike jumping onto the back of a bus. Not to mention a killer 3-way final fight on a suspended piece of glass hanging from a crane high above the city, I still want to know how this was filmed!

Who knew Norika Fujiwara had her own 'China Strike Force' doll!? :tongueout

thumbnail_IMG_0402.png

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/9/2013 at 7:33 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

LA Street Fighters (Ninja Turf) has some very good choreography in it.

It did and I was quite surprised the 1st time I saw it when I learned the choreography was done by Kwon Young Moon, who would also choreograph Miami Connection. Speaking of Miami Connection, to this day, I drive by the bar where the Jeff and Yashida have their meeting in the film with bikers as actual extras, on my way back from my day job.

I understand why Terra Formars was considered a shit movie. Half the plot didn’t make sense. The Moth chick at the end literally came out of nowhere (still don’t even understand how) BUUUUT for some reason I enjoyed it. Maybe I’m just a Miike fanboy but definitely will consider it a guilty pleasure movie.  

Rodolphe Dux

Ninja Terminator: Richard Harrison using a garfield phone and stabbing crabes is priceless.

Naked Soldier: Solid Wong Jing goofy style movie.

Samuraï Cop: Priceless Goofy movie with Rober Z'Dar.

Flaming Brothers: The final scene where Chow Yun Fat being shot is hilarious.

The Way of the dragon: The ending fight is the definition of a face palm.

What is a movie you love watching but to everyone else is trash. For me I have to say Tokyo Tribe. Most people hate the aspect of a martial arts rap musical.. but I absolutely love it. 

ShaolinMapache

95949402_10221240216889536_3180260481952645120_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_oc=AQma04gTdynOsXoUwiPgm3AH6atin_60Z6MbMXMfFjFfC4akj-jU_CCv5_A96dKZ-NBeb4k5wxQg-6PYPS6XMwGd&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=e27c1da32f7cf76d69cdaa3f70c0bfe5&oe=5ED676CD
Flying Dagger (1993), Sleazy b-comedy wire-fu. This is really bad.
DVD didn't have the English dub so get it on VHS for extra cheesiness. 

Drunken Monk

Wrath of the Vajra. I’ve always thought this one was way above average while it seemed it was universally dismissed.

Does City Hunter count?

5 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Does City Hunter count?

At this point, I don't think it does anymore. Maybe in the aughts.

I love Romeo Must Die.

45 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Wrath of the Vajra. I’ve always thought this one was way above average while it seemed it was universally dismissed.

Does City Hunter count?

I liked wrath of Vajra🤷🏿‍♂️

ShawAngela

If Romeo must die appears in this thread, it means that it has been considered as a bad movie by many people, right ?

Well, I don't see why, and I loved it too !

30 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

If Romeo must die appears in this thread, it means that it has been considered as a bad movie by many people, right ?

Well, I don't see why, and I loved it too !

It's not a "bad" movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it was produced by Joel Silver in the wake of the success The Matrix, which he also produced. That means that it has a lot of wire-fu and CGI effects during the fight scenes, which are out of place for the tone of the film. That rubs a lot of MA fans the wrong way. I'm not one of them.

paimeifist

I like the Crippled Masters. Yes it is possibly the most exploitative film of all time, and yes it is cheap entertainment. With that said, those two cripples have legitimately impressive fu skills, and I'm not too high and mighty to laugh at some of the cheap tricks either.

ShaolinMapache
43 minutes ago, paimeifist said:

I like the Crippled Masters. Yes it is possibly the most exploitative film of all time, and yes it is cheap entertainment. With that said, those two cripples have legitimately impressive fu skills, and I'm not too high and mighty to laugh at some of the cheap tricks either.

Solid movie which I've always considered to be a classic to independent kung fu... I guess no one told me it was cheap entertainment. Those two are so talented.

Drunken Monk

I watched Romeo Must Die earlier this year and oof! It’s very much “of its time.”

2 hours ago, paimeifist said:

Just watched the Trailer... and WOW. 

ShaOW!linDude
8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Does City Hunter count?

It would for me.

On 4/3/2019 at 5:15 PM, KCN9NE said:

Tokyo Tribe is probably my biggest guilty pleasure movie. 

Wow, I don’t remember this thread at all back In the day.  my guilty pleasure movie has not changed 🙈 

So we're reviving this thread huh? It's a great thread so why not!

I think the Girls with Guns genre in itself is my guilty pleasure... They're not good movies technically speaking but so entertaining, and often feature bonkers action.

I have an immediate and easy 1st choice for this and it's...

1 - The Inspector Wears Skirts (1988)

Contrary to most, I actually like the entirety of this movie, not just the 2 amazing action sequences at the beginning and the end. It's such a unique genre-bender of a movie that's really hard to find, well... anywhere else! Of course you have to be on board with it but it ticks the right boxes for me: Death-defying stunts, amazing action and martial arts filmed by Jackie Chan's stunts crew, dorky characters, "police academy" kind of training movie, Sibelle Hu playing a stone-cold badass police instructor (her best role IMO), some bits of coming of age/highschool drama stuff (I like most coming of age movies, somehow), and even a musical number! It's just a movie I snuggle in and overall like. The sequel is also pretty decent if you like the 1st one but a step down. In the 3rd one, the nonsense is just too much. 

vlcsnap-2017-09-06-15h07m11s139-2.png

2 - Madam City Hunter (1993)

In pretty much the same vein as the movie above, most of this movie's praise comes from the action and the rest is disregarded as being bad. Now I can see why that would be so for most people but I thought the comedy in this movie was hilarious and the soundtrack just pumps you up! I tend to like Hong Kong movies that veer on the comedic side, mostly because I'm generally more on board with Hong Kong comedy than the John Woo-style melodrama. Everyone finds what they like, and for me, this silly movie featuring strong action hits, again, just the right notes. Also the opening sequence is ridiculously over-the-top.

i3lx4jvzpie8vrwmvaax.jpg

3 - Lethal Panther (1990)

Like you @One Armed Boxer I think this is king of trash in all the meanings of the word. Like it's incredibly trash but mesmerizingly so, if that word even exists. Nothing makes sense, but you'll love the movie for it. Slow-mo bullet exchange everywhere, brutal fights, always a life-or-death situation at every turn... it's something.

bsjs62dqpkte.jpg

4 - Heroic Trio 2: Executioners (1993)

The sequel to Heroic Trio is definitely the best post-apocalyptic martial arts superhero movie ever made. Competition isn't ferocious at all as it's also the only post-apocalyptic martial arts superhero movie out there, and I love it. Most people don't like this movie because it's kind of a mess, the pacing is furious, and Anita Mui lumbers around for most of the movie. And it doesn't seem to have an actual point. But I love how crazy it is. It helps that Johnnie To knows how to direct the shit out of scenes.

7c344c66e3201707c430a8abdfd2533d.jpg

5 - Mortal Kombat (1995)

I know it has its fans but Mortal Kombat is largely seen as a shitty movie. But I like it because it's so campy, and the soundtrack is killer. The fights are terrible but it's almost parody-level.

Main theme:

Spoiler

Drunken Monk

After my recent odyssey into his filmography, I'd have to say 75% of Bruce Li's filmography will undoubtedly become a guilty pleasure for me.

17 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

It would for me.

I read so much negativity hurled at Jackie's films made after CZ12 that I'm pretty sure one must no longer feel guilty for liking City Hunter.

Archived