Enter the Dragon DVD without monk/mirror scene?

newgen2005

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only version i know of, is the hong kong legends magazine version.

It is not the theatrical version tho, it was made using the extended version,

and is cut for some reason. you see bruce play the nunchucks but i don`t think you see him hit anyone with them.

Does a DVD exist of E.T.D without the monk and mirror scenes?

Nope

I have a rip from the laser disc (that one of my friends on here game me) and the original Warner Bro version from 1980 in perfect condition.

That's as near as you'll get bro.

I was just about to order it and I thought I would double check to see if I have it, and guess what......I do :wink:

I thought the one I had was newer than this one! the sleeve states packaging design 1993 and I have just checked the cat no and boom it's the one!!

Now for putting this on DVD. Problem is the Philips DVD recorder I have (UK Pal) isn't that great quality wise as it was purchased 2005! but it is the only machine I have seen that will record NTSC signals!!

Might have to do some research on DVD recorders that will record NTSC signals from LD! I don't really want to go down the route of PC capture cards as I have never found them to be any good! I have a Haupauge HD PVR that is great for HD stuff but it doesn't handle SD from VCR's and LD's very well!!

Well, there is this one:

post-233-144191896778_thumb.jpg taken by cellphone

post-233-144191896785_thumb.jpg taken by cellphone

post-233-144191896791_thumb.jpeg scanned by printer

post-233-144191896838_thumb.jpeg scanned by printer

Crappy photos, yes. It`s all I have to work with. But, I think this was the first version of ETD to be released on Laserdisc in the US. And, yes, I have kept the plastic on it to help preserve the cover.

And, I also have Chinese Connection (aka Fist of Fury on laser)

Yep, I have this one also! Full Screen edition.

I use to hate films with black bars at the top and bottom until I seen how much of the screen was missing from the full screen versions! I remember first seeing the Widescreen scene with the Nunchucks, was amazed how much more could be seen!! :bigsmile:

This is the one that I have: http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/22605/1006/Enter-the-Dragon-(1973)

Not sure if the web site`s release date information is correct or not on this. They say that disc #1006 was released in 1992. The printing on the back cover of my disc says copyright 1993, Warner Brothers Home Video. On the disc itself, it says Manufactured by Pioneer LOCA inc. I purchased it right around the time when it came out. No way I can remember if it was 92 or 93.

You guys really hated the monk scene and the extended mirror scene that much?! :confused:

Don't hate it, I just find it slowers down the film down! The normal cut is what most of us were brought up with, just being old fashioned I guess!!:smile: Plus the dubbing of the monk scene annoys me as it isn't Bruce's voice, even more annoying to know they actually have most of Bruce's real voice for the scene, they just choose to use the dub!! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Was at a mates house last night, he has an Apple TV box. I showed him on my phone the Johnny Walker add - this then put us into Bruce Lee mode! :smile: He had previously purchased ETD through iTunes, he put it on! I was telling him about the Monk scene being dubbed by John Little, while Bruce was fighting Samo! To my shock the Monk scene wasn't there! I then explained how hard it is to find this cinema cut and how we need to try and get this onto DVD! Here comes the kick the teeth....it was the old UK edited version (watered down Nunchaku scene), I was gutted!! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Sorry for the long story but I really thought this was the version we had been looking for!!

Guest Markgway

Maybe it would be easier to restore the uncut nunchaku scene to the BBFC widescreen version than remove all the monk stuff from the Sp. Ed? Then dub over the mono track.

You guys really hated the monk scene and the extended mirror scene that much?! :confused:

The authenticity of the movie dips during the scene.

A fanboy (which is what John Little is) talking over Bruce Lee makes my skin crawl. The version I remember is the one I seen in the mid eighties which was the theatrical release.

That is what I (we) want back.

Was at a mates house last night, he has an Apple TV box. I showed him on my phone the Johnny Walker add - this then put us into Bruce Lee mode! :smile: He had previously purchased ETD through iTunes, he put it on! I was telling him about the Monk scene being dubbed by John Little, while Bruce was fighting Samo! To my shock the Monk scene wasn't there! I then explained how hard it is to find this cinema cut and how we need to try and get this onto DVD! Here comes the kick the teeth....it was the old UK edited version (watered down Nunchaku scene), I was gutted!! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Sorry for the long story but I really thought this was the version we had been looking for!!

That kind of luck may have killed me. Horrible!

Maybe it would be easier to restore the uncut nunchaku scene to the BBFC widescreen version than remove all the monk stuff from the Sp. Ed? Then dub over the mono track.

Awesome shout

Guest Markgway

The (uncut) nunchaku scene (missing 21 secs from the UK widescreen print) has clear edit points ideal for insertion.

2:15 > and < 2:43

I`ve already done a dvd of this, it`s the bluray i can`t get right.

Did the censored theatrical cut get a dvd release ?.

What version would people like for the source,

new blu ray, hong kong blu, old blu or dvd ?

i used the new version for my dvd cut, couldn`t get the ld 3 seconds to look right so i used what was there.synced ld audio and made a dvd9.

Guest Markgway
I don't own this edition but I am pretty sure the Nunchaku is cut! however it does have the Monk scene!

Can anyone confirm this?

Ah, sorry then. I thought it was a censored theatrical cut (there's no mention of Special Edition).

But you're right, if you look (squint) at the text on the back cover it mentions the extra 3 mins.

Bummer!

Archived