Force: Five

ShaOW!linDude

ShaOW!linDude

This may finally be getting a dvd release with a HiDef mastering by Code Red.

http://codereddvdblog.blogspot.com/2013/04/code-red-recruit-force-five.html

Haven't seen this in ages and then only once. Maybe it's worse than I remember but I recall this as having some good fights: Joe Lewis, Richard Norton, Benny 'the Jet' Urquidez. Hope it gets a widescreen treatment.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have vague memories of this, saw it at the Scala Cinema in 1990 or 91, was bit cheesy and some of the action was a bit mediocre, but Benny the Jet was f##king awesome in his fight scenes, and Norton was good too.

Hope it gets a release in the UK too....finally

ShaOW!linDude
Have vague memories of this, saw it at the Scala Cinema in 1990 or 91, was bit cheesy and some of the action was a bit mediocre, but Benny the Jet was f##king awesome in his fight scenes, and Norton was good too.

Agreed. One thing I do remember is that at the end of one of Norton's fight scenes he's throws a circular saw blade like a shuriken to kill a guy and says, "Thank God for Black & Decker." That owned me.

One Armed Boxer

I've wanted to see this for a while, it sounds basically like the gweilo version of 'The Expendables', long before Stallone & co. even considered the idea. If it got a DVD release I'd count myself in for a purchase.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I can't believe this was directed by THE Robert Clouse, you know? It's like after he did Enter The Dragon, he went down a path to do these really low budget B movies like he was andy sidaris or something. At least with Andy Sidaris, the fight scenes were a little more competent and better in his films. I don't want to use the word sucked but this film was bad, and not in a fun charming kind of way. There's literally a character in the movie played as Professor X from the X-men comic book universe? What a wasted opportunity that you have all these real martial arts masters like Joe Lewis and Benny the Jet and the fight scenes still looked unconvincing. Seriously guys, what the fuck happened to Robert Clouse after Enter The Dragon?

ShaOW!linDude

You're owning me, OKFC.

You're right in that the story's a mess. The choreography is very hit and miss. (More miss, unfortunately.) Still, there are a few moments where Benny, Lewis, and Richard Norton shine. It certainly wasn't as good as I remembered it when I watched it a few months back. I still consider it a gem in a sense though. Call me nostalgic.

Chinatown Kid

It's simple, he didn't have Bruce to make him look good anymore. And look at Joe Lewis, legendary Karate champion with an ego to match. He thought he was to good to get his ass beat by Bruce on screen so the part went to Chuck Norris. Chuck ended up becoming more famous than Lewis because of it and the fight is considered one of the best one on one's of all time. I bet Joe has kicked himself in the ass over that one alot....

OpiumKungFuCracker
It's simple, he didn't have Bruce to make him look good anymore. And look at Joe Lewis, legendary Karate champion with an ego to match. He thought he was to good to get his ass beat by Bruce on screen so the part went to Chuck Norris. Chuck ended up becoming more famous than Lewis because of it and the fight is considered one of the best one on one's of all time. I bet Joe has kicked himself in the ass over that one alot....

Hahhaha, Joe did the right thing cause Norris is a way better screen fighter than Lewis. Better actor too but I think Joe waited way too long to break it into Hollywood when it's right there by his door the whole time and he didn't even bothered answering it. Such a shame and as for Robert Clouse, you blew it!!!:tinysmile_angry2_t:

OpiumKungFuCracker

You know what, I'll give Robert Clouse the credit he deserves, without Clouse there would be no Andy Sidaris.

I watched this about 10 years or so ago and from what I remember it was awful, it was cool to see Benny pull off some flips in his scenes but other than that I don't think there was anything good about the movie at all. The trailer does look quite fun though.

Well, to his credit...as much as Robert Clouse did have some flops, he did direct one of my favorite Cynthia Rothrock films, China O'Brien, the female martial arts equivalent of Walking Tall, which introduced Keith Cooke Hirabayashi as the fast kicking Dakota.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Well, to his credit...as much as Robert Clouse did have some flops, he did direct one of my favorite Cynthia Rothrock films, China O'Brien, the female martial arts equivalent of Walking Tall, which introduced Keith Cooke Hirabayashi as the fast kicking Dakota.

See that's what I don't understand, even that film with Rothrock was more polished than Force Five. What's mind boggling to me is the script in Force Five, really wasn't that bad at all. It's the execution and the filming that really threw me off. The editing was off, the acting and action was forced, it was pure amateurish. It shouldn't be amateurish, this is The Robert Clouse.

Killer Meteor

I must say the fight in Clouse's 1970 debut Darker Than Amber is brilliant.

Lewis, welll...Death Cage anyone?

Chinatown Kid

Well I must say Lewis was well cast as the angry, loudmouth egomaniac in that one... I have read about that fight in DtA and that it's the reason Lee wanted Clouse as director. Never seen it but read it had two opponents going at it within the confines of a ship's cabin?

Just received this remastered version in the post.Will replace my crappy ancient OZ bootleg. Though the plot is a ETD retread and the action isn't well choregraphed i have fond memories of this movie.It actually had a pretty big cinema release in the uk and i remember going to the Odeon Liverpool to see it only for the cinema projector to break down during the Bull/Joe face-off :wink:

Archived