"Biggest" shaw star

paimeifist

Who was the biggest Shaw star? Who were the most popular stars who's names brought the most money in? I'm talking the Tom Cruise of Shaw, lol.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Me too, just by longevity alone. He started in what? '69... and his last SB film was '85 or something.

I think few of the latter day Shaw flicks made a ton of money, but he was in some of their biggest hits for sure.

TibetanWhiteCrane

But not as a prolific as Lung, and he also left in the late 70's (though he returned in 1980 for Shaolin Abbott).

I was speaking to somebody from Hong Kong about this only a short while back and she told me most of the really popular Shaw stars were the opera stars, even though she never watches Shaw Bros films she could name quite a few of the stars from the opera films but none of the action stars.

If people want to get an idea why Ivy Ling Po was such a big star, it's worth trying Lady General Hua Mulan. Yes, it's a Chinese Opera, but it's good, short, has some action, and highlights her talents.

Tglm3anmue8

Eastern Evil

Li Lieh must have been pretty big, maybe not the biggest, but him & Ku Feng were huge in output as well as talent.

They could really act.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Would not Jimmy Wang Yu be the biggest STAR world-wide fame that is.

As he was the first internationally famous kung fu movie star.

GD Y-Y

In my opinion, the biggest Shaw star at the time he was alive, and I quote 'the time he was alive'. Hands down - Alexander Fu Sheng. There was no bigger Shaw star than Fu Sheng.

These days, folks like Gordon Liu are known due to 'Kill Bill' and other recent movie's.

Archived