Versus

Tosh

Ok I'm having a hard time figuring out what's so great about this movie, I tried to watch it some years ago and turned it off, the first hour is just a couple people blowing away zombies in the woods.

After reading the praise about it(on here I believe) I'd thought I'd give it a second go and forced myself to watch the whole thing, well I will say it did get a bit more interesting with the whole time portal story, but not really. The ending, well,:neutral:

So what do people like about this movie, I know Tak Sakaguchi is a big star in Japan(?)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have this but yet to watch. M said she enjoyed it when she watched (with Linn) but its one of the films I continue to back-burner mainly as I have a long to-watch list.

imo I'd keep back burning it if I was you:wink: I have a couple back burners in my pile, that Broken Oath was a pleasant surprise, had I known I would of watched that immediately, time to give that one another go, maybe a double feature with Lady Snowblood, hmmm:angel:

imo I'd keep back burning it if I was you

I had taken it off the shelf to give it a spin but then read your response, so I put it back. Pulled instead The Lady Professional . Lot of comments on this one, so I will it a go. Haven't had a SB in the player in a few weeks. Poor Cyberhome is going into withdrawals...

yeah I really like this movie. It's a nice blend of martial arts, gunplay and zombie horror. I'm not a big fan of Japanese cinema but this is one of the few Japanese action movies I like. Although to be fair I really enjoyed it more on second viewing, which could have been a different cut(from what I originally watched– a UK rental DVD) from the multidisc region one ultimate edition?

One Armed Boxer

Ryuhei Kitamura & Tak Sakaguchi are definitely an acquired taste, much the same way the 1970 Japanese karate exploitation movies are. However 'Versus' (not 'Verses' as this thread has been titled) is an enjoyable effort if you watch it as a horror action movie, most of the people I know who didn't enjoy it went in with the wrong expectations of what kind of movie it is.

Go into it expecting a horror action hybrid, and your line that "the first hour is just a couple people blowing away zombies in the woods" would probably be enough of a selling point to get me to watch it!:tongue:

Ryuhei Kitamura & Tak Sakaguchi are definitely an acquired taste, much the same way the 1970 Japanese karate exploitation movies are. However 'Versus' (not 'Verses' as this thread has been titled) is an enjoyable effort if you watch it as a horror action movie, most of the people I know who didn't enjoy it went in with the wrong expectations of what kind of movie it is.

Go into it expecting a horror action hybrid, and your line that "the first hour is just a couple people blowing away zombies in the woods" would probably be enough of a selling point to get me to watch it!:tongue:

"Versus" - check!:tongue:

Yeah I can see your point, and I guess I'm more oldschool in that I love all that 70's exploitation, and I didn't exactly know this was a horror hybrid going into it, though the 2nd time I knew what to expect. I think one problem I have is there is no set up to the first half of the movie, gratuitous violence can get boring, the 2nd half does get better.

Believe it or not, I've never seen this!

Can you guys please tell me, which version of this should I be looking to get?

ShaOW!linDude

I didn't kow this was a horro hybrid either but was pleasantly surprised by it. The Mrs. really enjoyed it, too. Unfortunately the dvd I bought (new I might add) had a scratch and would always hang up about midway and then skip about 15 mins. of the movie. Wound up getting rid of it. Need to replace it.

Isn't there a DC of this or ultimate edition or something like that?

Isn't there a DC of this or ultimate edition or something like that?

Yeah I have the ultimate dvd not sure if it's DC or what

Drunken Monk

I got my hands on a bootleg copy of this film years ago, when it first came out. I stuck it in the DVD player and was blown away. In fact, if I recall correctly, it was the talk of my friends for quite some time.

However, I can now say it's one of those films that really depreciates over the years. I tried watching it recently and found it painful to sit through.

It has its moments, granted. But, all in all, it's a pretty bad film and where I once thought the action was pretty great, it just doesn't feel that way anymore.

If experience is any indicator, the perfect time to see Versus is when you're 14. It's not masterpiece theatre, but it is doubtlessly theatrical, for all the good and bad that entails. I feel like Ultimate Versus shouldn't exist though; I like the original, warts and all. UV is just too long and those new scenes, however slick, are rather awkward amidst the older footage.

Fun fact: lossles screen caps I've seen of the French release are shockingly better looking than the American and Japanese releases; it's enough to wonder if they got a hold of the film and did their own telecine. I'll eventually get around to importing the thing and report. Eventually.

I've had the French DVD forever. It looks like a DVD. I always kept laughing at other people because they were watching their US/UK/JP DVDs which all look like a VHS :tongue:

However, the French print has incorrect colors during the end fight. It's 100% normal, with no intended (I assume) orange tint.

Now there's a US BD, though. By a quick look at the screencaptures it would seems slightly superior to the ancient French DVD.

I agree with you about Ultimate Versus... the theatrical cut is clearly superior.

Archived