Chinese Boxer (1970)

Guest shukocarl

Guest shukocarl

At the climax of CB, when Jimmy faces Lo Lieh and his goons, there is a lot of real(?) snow around the location. Presumably this was at Shaw studios (or another location?). If it was at Shaws, did it snow there in Hon Kong in 1969?:D

My guess is that the scene was shot elsewhere (Korea?)...

does anyone know? I'm just curious....:D

Good question, and I've wondered about that myself. Also with The Sentimental Swordsman and The Shadow Whip (probably some others that I can't think of) that were clearly filmed outdoors in the snow---where was that?

• Like 1

I've often read that this film, starring and Directed by Jimmy Wang Yu was the first, real modern day Chinese Boxing film. The villains are great, Lo Lieh, and his side kicks, Chen Sing, and Wang Chung.

The choreography is a little less than King Boxer which is one of my favorites, but it's still entertaining.

Is this the official first, modern day CB film? I've heard the same said about Chang Cheh's Vengeance.

VENGEANCE! ushered in the new style of action film (or Republic Era action film) of the non-swordplay variety detailing a storyline that could easily take place in a martial world showcase but transplanting it into a modern setting.

CHINESE BOXER was the first martial arts film to utilize empty handed fight sequences akin to the later more popular kung fu movies. Also, this was the first film to detail the actual training of the protagonist on his way to mastering a skill with which to take on the bad guys during the final act.

ironfistedmonk

I don't think its that easy to pinpoint a film in this genre as the first to do this or that or to say a certain movie is a seminal film which ushered in a new era. I've seen clips of the old black and white wong fei hung films which show shapes before the basher movies came about and way before the shapes fest we had in the late 70's. Some say the Cathay movie From the Highway was the first to influence the empty handed films of the 70's but I haven' seen this film. What I can say is Chinese Boxer is a damn entertaining movie even with the casio keyboard sound effects on the IVL release

In my original old VHS copy, the film was so bad you couldn't make out the details in the bloody fight scenes. The new IVL remaster allows you to enjoy the gore, that's for certain.:P

TibetanWhiteCrane

Love that movie, but can't watch my ivl copy because of that stupid fucking hackjob on the music!! I hope the guy that did that was dragged out and shot afterwards! It is just painful..... I loathe re-scoring of any kind!

Love that movie, but can't watch my ivl copy because of that stupid fucking hackjob on the music!! I hope the guy that did that was dragged out and shot afterwards!

Nope, that would be too good for him. They need to set up an knife-gang teahouse ambush for him, like the kind that Ti Lung faced in Vengeance :P

I'm not as critical as some regarding the Celestial audio remixes, but The Chinese Boxer and The Deadly Duo were virtually ruined by the lame-ass Casio keyboard new soundtracks. I believe both of those are scheduled for better Region 1 releases, though, so hopefully that won't be an issue there.

Oh, as far as the movie---I love it. I much prefer it to King Boxer.

... since we didn't have many comments before. C'mon guys, let's give another old school basher it's due...

I think this film has Jimmy's character learning the "light Technique", as well as the iron fist, to counter Lo Lieh's Japanese steel fists. I like the fact the ending is in the snow!:)

... since we didn't have many comments before. C'mon guys, let's give another old school basher it's due...

I think this film has Jimmy's character learning the "light Technique", as well as the iron fist, to counter Lo Lieh's Japanese steel fists. I like the fact the ending is in the snow!:)

Hi The Dragon,we once had an impressive thread at Kung Fu Fandom about the significance of Chinese Boxer in the history or evolution of Hong Kong cinema.It was so good that our one time rival ShawScope.com copied the thread verbatim and pasted it on his website.We also compared the similarities between Chinese Boxer and King Boxer.Maybe members are not posting on this subject because that thread might still be fresh in their memories.Its sad we couldn't find a way to archive important threads from the old forum.Being a moderator restricts the ability to respond swiftly to posts and threads like these as they involve deep thinking with factual information.You have to go back to the late 60s to kick-start the theories and analysis.If time and other commitments permit,I'll see what I can do (it has been done before).In the meantime suffice to say Chinese Boxer put the " Kung Fu Film " on the map without which there would have been no King Boxer though Shaws promoted King Boxer better worldwide due to bitter issues with Wang Yu's decision to jump ship.

Thanks for that info Kwok Choi. I joined the forum after that I believe. It's nice to know that the love for this film was out there. I still like talking about this movie. It's something about it...

Btw, many films copied it's style as well. The Bloody Fists comes to mind immediately.

TibetanWhiteCrane

The scenes featuring real snow in The Chinese Boxer, particularly the final fight, anyone know where they were filmed? Im figuring Korea or Japan. Though it always struck me as odd why they would further expand the budget for only a few scenes, since it had no bearing on the story, and the Shaws were known for their elaborate set designs. Hell, the samurai wheat field scene was obviously set bound. So why shoot abroad for some other scenes.

Anyone?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, I sorta figured Korea as well. Only thought of Japan cuz Jimmy did some other stuff over there. Still baffled as to why though...

shukocarl1441996347

I just watched CB again and thought I'd see if anyone could answer some questions that have bugged me for years:

1. When we first see Jimmy he's breaking rocks at a HUGE quarry. Where was that filmed, surely not Hong Kong?

2. The last fight scene (snowy hill location) was supposedly shot in S. Korea-really? Would Shaws fly all the actors and crew there for one scene?

3. Lastly, during the above scene - are the foley (fight sounds, hits etc) really off? The rest of the film sounds like any usual HK fight flick but at the climax it sounds quiet and totally lacking!

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Plenty of quarries in HK. 

Yes, it was shot in South Korea.

Need a fresh rewatch to confirm that foley thing. What version did you watch?

• Like 2