Man of Tai Chi : First Trailer

David Rees

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Let..the show...begin"

That made me cringe. But, I'll probably still watch it, even if it's just for Simon and Karen.

TibetanWhiteCrane

That Tiger guy looks cool, the rest looks awful. And that last stilted line delivery was just laughable.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Other than the final line, I thought the trailer made the film look very promising. I'm ready to check it out.

Guest Markgway

Keanu, bless him, is a wooden actor.

Let's hope he's a better director, though the trailer looks strictly DTV formula to me.

Keanu, bless him, is a wooden actor.

Let's hope he's a better director, though the trailer looks strictly DTV formula to me.

Totally agree. Really cool to see a known Hollywood name make a "DTV formula" flick though. When he says "Let the game begin"... almost seems like he's making fun of himself.

Also noticed no sign of Iko Uwais in the trailer although he is a co-star in the film as far as i know.

looks okay to me could have done with longer clips of action but I was pretty impressed

thank god coz i thought it would be along the lines of Man With Iron Tits ..I mean Fists,

Drunken Monk

I'm leaning towards the "looks promising" side. Keanu Reeves has said he really wanted to emphasise the action and this trailer doesn't highlight an awful lot of it.

That makes me think there could be lots more to see. What I did see didn't look too bad, either.

ShaOW!linDude

I'm intrigued, though I'm seeing a good bit of wire-assisted maneuvers. Still, I like Keanu and will certainly give his first effort at directing a watch, especially considering he's a fan of the MA genre. The trailer for this already looks loads better than the one for MWTIF.

(Um....shouldn't this thread be in the '85-Present category?)

Before I ask who did the fight choreography, I will say that everything shown looks so "borrowed". Maybe, RZA gonna lose some sleep tonight. But, yeah, its got STV written all over it. Amazing what can get in the theater if you have the right connections.

TheGrimReaper

It certanly has some crisp looks, however Yuen Woo Ping is on board as action directior, for now I have mixed bag felings towards it. I'll give it a try after release, and will see the true qualities (if any).

Keanu is a solid wood (although I liked Speed) no doubts about it, but after seen this clip I felt like watching the Matrix once again :)

Before I ask who did the fight choreography, I will say that everything shown looks so "borrowed". Maybe, RZA gonna lose some sleep tonight. But, yeah, its got STV written all over it. Amazing what can get in the theater if you have the right connections.

Yuen Woo-Ping is the martial art director, but the fight choreography was done by Chad Stahelski and Jon Valera. Stahelski was Reeves' stunt double on The Matrix. They designed the fights with Woo-Ping's supervision.

this proof of concept looks far more exciting than the trailer in my eyes and I hope we see more like this than the wire assisted moves from the teaser. I still have huge reservations with Keanu being the lead villain, still I hope it successful and I will no doubt eventually see this.

I agree with the general sentiment - looks like rehashed ideas, too much like Danny the Dog. Now if they had Tiger Chen just use Tai Chi for his only art and make it look effective, now that would be interesting. But from the limited clips I don't see any Tai Chi being utilized, looks like a mish mash of arts... grappling, etc.

It'll get a theater release, but will probably not stay long unless it's breaking new ground that people haven't seen.

Archived