Vengeance of an Assassin (2014) - Panna Rittikrai's Final Movie, Starring Dan Chupong

Drunken Monk

ShaOW!linDude
You guys had me at "flying train"!

I'm not even going to watch the trailer for this one, I think I'll just go for a blind buy once it hits DVD. As VenomsFan said this is Panna's final movie, and I've been waiting for him to team up with Dan Chupong as the lead ever since they made the 'Born to Fight' remake together in 2004, speaking of which also contains plenty of cheesy FX moments - a one legged man kicking a soccer ball at an armed guard tower with so much force the ball knocks them out of it!?

As long as the effects are fun and don't hinder the action too much, something which 'TYG2' failed miserably at, then I'm in.

Yes, I am completely in this camp, too.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
You guys had me at "flying train"!

I'm not even going to watch the trailer for this one, I think I'll just go for a blind buy once it hits DVD. As VenomsFan said this is Panna's final movie, and I've been waiting for him to team up with Dan Chupong as the lead ever since they made the 'Born to Fight' remake together in 2004, speaking of which also contains plenty of cheesy FX moments - a one legged man kicking a soccer ball at an armed guard tower with so much force the ball knocks them out of it!?

As long as the effects are fun and don't hinder the action too much, something which 'TYG2' failed miserably at, then I'm in.

Yes, I am completely in this camp, too.

Did you guys see DYNAMITE WARRIORS? It managed to combine both exciting, reality-based martial arts action and completely crazy, OTT elements. It's a wildly entertaining film.

ShaOW!linDude
Did you guys see DYNAMITE WARRIORS? It managed to combine both exciting, reality-based martial arts action and completely crazy, OTT elements. It's a wildly entertaining film.

Agreed. Great opening sequence, and a pretty cool end fight. Kind of tanked in places in the middle, but overall I'd probably say this it was more enjoyable than TYG 2.

One Armed Boxer

'Dynamite Warrior'...singular.:tongue: Count me as a fan of this movie, pretty cool practical effects, fight scenes that contain plenty of wince worthy falls & impacts, the underrated Dan Chupong in the lead AND Panna Rittikrai in one of his last substancial roles. I expected this movie to go the way of 'Born to Fight', and be appreciated for what it is a few years after it's release, but it looks like it's remained off most peoples radar, which is a shame.

One Armed Boxer
Anyone have any idea of an English subtitle release date?

Well Go USA will be releasing this one on April 14th.

I checked it out on Amazon. I wanted to pre order it, but the description said "language:English subtitles:English" it never mentioned original language? I don't want to pre order it and have it be english dubbed only.. Is a well go usa release pretty safe to have original language and Amazon just not up to date with specific details?

Is a well go usa release pretty safe to have original language and Amazon just not up to date with specific details?

Well Go is very reliable when it comes to presenting things in original language. Amazon does get things wrong sometimes. I'm sure their info will change around release time.

I will have to wait to pre order it just in case. I tried to find the details of the movie on well go usa website, but could find no details.

One thing I never get: Why pre-order? Afraid the disc is oop once its released?

I pre order for 2 reasons. One this release is 3+ months away and in a month I'll forget about it. So movies that I really want, I pre order and delete em from my phone list and they become pleasant surprises 3 months down the line. Two is I'm super cheap and amazon pre order price match i guarantee I get the cheapest price it's listed anywhere from now till release.

• Administrator
Agreed. Great opening sequence, and a pretty cool end fight. Kind of tanked in places in the middle, but overall I'd probably say this it was more enjoyable than TYG 2.

I kind of agree. DYNAMITE WARRIORSS sagged a bit in the middle, but I thought it remained entertaining throughout. TYG2 was a mess throughout. Though I still enjoyed it.

'Dynamite Warrior'...singular.:tongue:

I'm going to add another S every time I mention this movie now (S for spectacular) just to spite you mister. :xd: LOL No, seriously, thanks for your editorial services. Truly helpful and nice. :wink:

Count me as a fan of this movie, pretty cool practical effects, fight scenes that contain plenty of wince worthy falls & impacts, the underrated Dan Chupong in the lead AND Panna Rittikrai in one of his last substancial roles. I expected this movie to go the way of 'Born to Fight', and be appreciated for what it is a few years after it's release, but it looks like it's remained off most peoples radar, which is a shame.

Glad you enjoyed it too. :nerd:

Perhaps we should try to generate interest in it by bumping the DYNAMITE WARRIORSSS (:angel:) thread with some love. It would be great if others that missed this film had it brought to their attention.

That's good news, thanks!

I checked it out on Amazon. I wanted to pre order it, but the description said "language:English subtitles:English" it never mentioned original language? I don't want to pre order it and have it be english dubbed only.. Is a well go usa release pretty safe to have original language and Amazon just not up to date with specific details?

Well Go is very reliable when it comes to presenting things in original language. Amazon does get things wrong sometimes. I'm sure their info will change around release time.

I'm with Massa Yoda... I don't think Well Go USA has ever released a foreign film without including the original language and optional English subs. Can any one think of an exception? Anyway Gwai LO, it's a safe bet that you can pre-order it with no worries.

One thing I never get: Why pre-order? Afraid the disc is oop once its released?

I pre order for 2 reasons. One this release is 3+ months away and in a month I'll forget about it. So movies that I really want, I pre order and delete em from my phone list and they become pleasant surprises 3 months down the line. Two is I'm super cheap and amazon pre order price match i guarantee I get the cheapest price it's listed anywhere from now till release.

Same thing here. Usually it's cheapest that way, and with Amazon Prime the shipping is free. So, Mr. Postman, please look and see... Is there a martial arts Blu-ray in your bag for me? :bigsmile:

Though Well Go is usually not known for having substantial extras, I'm hopeful this will be an exception. It would be nice to see some more footage of the dearly departed Panna doing what he did best.

That review is about what I was expecting. Great action, sloppy production. I'm sure I'll still pick this up.

In short: Panna was a very creative filmmaker, great action choreographer and stunt coordinator and a lousy director. Vengeance is a quintessential Panna's film. Actually, I think it's his worst film overall. Bad FX and some technical sloppy mistakes cheapened the movie and gave it a rushed look, but the action scenes for the most part are a joy to watch. Pure bliss.

I couldnt help but to think how much I'm gonna miss Panna's work. I'm not sure we'll see anything like that coming out of Thailand anymore...

ShaOW!linDude
I couldnt help but to think how much I'm gonna miss Panna's work. I'm not sure we'll see anything like that coming out of Thailand anymore...

Agreed, though I think Jaa has potential to direct/choreograph. He proved as much with Ong Bak 2, but at the time he'd bit off more than he could chew. He's had some time to mature. I'd like to see him take another crack at it. He can take what he learned from Panna and build on it.

Drunken Monk

Most reviews, so far, imply this is a lot like "Bangkok Knockout": big, silly and plotless. I'm embarrassed to say I like "BKO" a lot more than most so, hopefully, I'll really like this one too.

Archived