Vengeance of an Assassin (2014) - Panna Rittikrai's Final Movie, Starring Dan Chupong

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

According to Twitch...

acwZs2S.jpg

Panna Rittikrai and Dan Chupong are getting back together.

Best known as the mentor to and fight choreographer for Tony Jaa, Rittikrai had a long career as a screen fighter and director himself, the man plying his trade in a string of ultra low budget grinders never seen anywhere outside of Thailand until Jaa vaulted him to fame. And so when Rittikrai was given the first real budget of his career in 2004 to direct Born To Fight - a remake of one of his own earlier titles - nobody thought that much of it. It was, among other things, simply a gesture of respect from producers Sahamongkol, a thank you to the veteran performer who had groomed and prepared Tony Jaa to become by far their biggest star and largest export and expectations for the film, anchored by one of Ong Bak's lead stunt performers and a handful of Olympic grade Thai athletes, were minimal.

This is ironic, really, because Born To Fight now stands as one of the high points in Sahamongkol's action catalog, an enormously entertaining picture with huge replay value and it's more than a little perplexing that it wasn't the start of a string of pairings for Rittikrai and star Dan Chupong. After all, the Pinkaew / Jaa pairing was working out pretty well, so why not keep this one going?

Well, it's been nine years (!!!) since Born To Fight now and Chupong and Rittikrai are finally getting back together. The duo - along with rising action star Nattawut Boonrabsap - are now in production on a new action picture titled Vengeance Of An Assassin. The image and title are all we've got on this one for now but, really ... what more do you need?

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/04/the-star-and-director-of-born-to-fight-reunite-for-vengeance-of-an-assassin.html

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Great news! I've been a fan of Chupong since 'Born to Fight', he has a screen presence that sadly every performer in 'Bangkok Knockout' lacked, so hopefully this will be a more well rounded movie.

Just out of curiosity, am I the only person on here who enjoyed 'Dynamite Warrior'?

ShaOW!linDude
Just out of curiosity, am I the only person on here who enjoyed 'Dynamite Warrior'?

Nope. I really kind of like it. Parts of the end fight get a little wonky for me but it works.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Great news! I've been a fan of Chupong since 'Born to Fight', he has a screen presence that sadly every performer in 'Bangkok Knockout' lacked, so hopefully this will be a more well rounded movie.

I liked it too! Over-the-top fun.

In the last year or two I've seen so many movies that have BANGKOK in the title that I can't remember which one is which... Was BANGKOK KNOCKOUT one that I saw? If so, which one was it again? :tongue:

One Armed Boxer
In the last year or two I've seen so many movies that have BANGKOK in the title that I can't remember which one is which... Was BANGKOK KNOCKOUT one that I saw? If so, which one was it again?

Ha ha....agreed.

Bangkok Adrenaline - British guys vs the bad guys

Bangkok Revenge - Guy with the swords from 'Tom Yum Goong' vs the bad guys

Bangkok Knockout - Panna Rittikrai's stunt crew vs the bad guys

Yeah, it's been almost 6 months. Anyone know anything about how this is coming along?

Good call reviving this thread, udar55.

One Armed Boxer

While details about it are near impossible to find (at least in English), Toby Russell posted a recent picture on his Facebook page of Panna Rittikrai in hospital. While there was no mention of why he'd been hospitalized, he looked in very poor health with a lot of weight loss (not dissimilar to the recent pics of Gordon Liu), so considering he was directing this movie, I'd guess this is probably one of the reasons behind its delay.

Panna looked bad in BK. He looked like he could barely stand. When he moved I expected him to go down. Don't know if that was age or injuries.

Looking forward to this now more than ever.

http://www.cinema.com.my/movies/movie_contents.aspx?search=2014.9426.vengeanceassassin.18823

Being an assassin has its rules - always keep your eyes on your target, strict to your mission, execute without any hesitation and there is no room for negotiation. Each killer has his own background, but all of them have trade in their blood and losses. For Natee, his only reason in becoming an assassin and have to leave behind his brother and his uncle is to find the truth about the death of his parents. It's the issue that he'd always doubted and felt that uncle Thanom hid something from him. While protecting Ploy, a niece of an local business man from group of assassins, he was asked to kill the girl instead.

Classification: NA

Genre: Action / Thriller

General Release Date: 16 Oct 2014

Running Time: NA

Distributor: Ram Entertainment

Cast: Dan Chupong, Nattawut Boonrabsap, Ping Lumprapleng

Director: Panna Rittikrai

Format: 2D

Directed by Panna while he was still well. The last year it's been in post. This will bring the Sahamongkolfilm International saga full circle which began with Born to Fight exactly 10 years ago.

ShaOW!linDude

Nice!!!!!!:nerd: This is great news!!!!:bigsmile: And right around my birthday, too!!!!!:tongue:

One Armed Boxer
Directed by Panna while he was still well. The last year it's been in post.

I went to the funeral today and asked about this, I was told they had started filming but hadn't done much. They will probably get someone else to finish it though.

Hey VemonsFan, there seems to be some conflicting information on the status of this movie, as fellow forum member thedirtytiger had mentioned that filming hadn't been completed. Are you able to clarify which is actually correct?

Looking forward to this now more than ever.

http://www.cinema.com.my/movies/movie_contents.aspx?search=2014.9426.vengeanceassassin.18823

Being an assassin has its rules - always keep your eyes on your target, strict to your mission, execute without any hesitation and there is no room for negotiation. Each killer has his own background, but all of them have trade in their blood and losses. For Natee, his only reason in becoming an assassin and have to leave behind his brother and his uncle is to find the truth about the death of his parents. It's the issue that he'd always doubted and felt that uncle Thanom hid something from him. While protecting Ploy, a niece of an local business man from group of assassins, he was asked to kill the girl instead.

Classification: NA

Genre: Action / Thriller

General Release Date: 16 Oct 2014

Running Time: NA

Distributor: Ram Entertainment

Cast: Dan Chupong, Nattawut Boonrabsap, Ping Lumprapleng

Director: Panna Rittikrai

Format: 2D

Directed by Panna while he was still well. The last year it's been in post. This will bring the Sahamongkolfilm International saga full circle which began with Born to Fight exactly 10 years ago.

if this is part of a series n born to fight was the first film whats the others

One Armed Boxer
if this is part of a series n born to fight was the first film whats the others

It's not part of a series, Sahamongkolfilm is the production company.

Sahamongkol film has release a tribute video to Panna Rittikrai. There is a few seconds of footage at the 2:53 mark. Remember the main Muay Thai-fighting kid from Power Kids (aka Force of Five)?... thats the same guy standing with Dan Choupan.

rkKf95eHIys

This film looks like a parody! Granted, some of the action was in that "so bonkers it could be fun" category but the finale with the train was just too much. It's guaranteed to be terrible but, good god, I'm actually looking forward to giving it a drunken watch.

flying train is a total overkill, but the action was inventive with some really brutal bits. If only they could made all the effects look better...Definitely worth checking out, although cheesy FX will bother me for sure

Here's the trailer...

P9TB1LcCCuM

Thanks for the link. Bad cgi totalling several seconds is of no concern to me. This is Panna's last work post Indonesia's The Raid sequels. Besides, he wasn't doing computer efx, he was choreographing the action which there is plenty of. Million $ efx won't make the action any better, and I don't expect it to.

The explosions and the fighting on the train are real by the way.

One Armed Boxer
flying train is a total overkill, but the action was inventive with some really brutal bits.

You guys had me at "flying train"!

I'm not even going to watch the trailer for this one, I think I'll just go for a blind buy once it hits DVD. As VenomsFan said this is Panna's final movie, and I've been waiting for him to team up with Dan Chupong as the lead ever since they made the 'Born to Fight' remake together in 2004, speaking of which also contains plenty of cheesy FX moments - a one legged man kicking a soccer ball at an armed guard tower with so much force the ball knocks them out of it!?

As long as the effects are fun and don't hinder the action too much, something which 'TYG2' failed miserably at, then I'm in.

Archived