Michael Mann to shoot high-tech thriller in Hong Kong

DiP

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Interesting. But I'm always wary of Michael Mann.

His work is kind of love it or hate it for me. I really dig MANHUNTER, and THIEF is good. I was a fan of the TV show CRIME STORY (Dennis Farina was awesome as usual. :nerd:), and COLLATERAL, THE INSIDER, and MIAMI VICE were decent. But a lot of his films that most people love... they just didn't do it for me.

All my friends were amazed that I didn't like THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. I couldn't get more than a half hour in before turning it off. ALI just fell so flat for me too. I'm a Will Smith fan, and I love Muhammed Ali (I grew up watching him box on TV with my Dad, had a poster and action figure of him, read his biography, and even read the Ali Vs Superman comic), but the film was just so... eeeeehhh. :squigglemouth: Will did not make it as Ali for me... at all. PUBLIC ENEMIES should have blown me away- I like Johnny Depp and love period gangster flicks, but I thought it was just okay. The one that I really don't get all the adoration for is HEAT. For me it was long and boring. Everything felt very empty and all surface shine with no depth whatsoever.

But Mann filming in Hong Kong with local stars? Of course I'll give it a try.

I love Manhunter, Heat and Collateral. Thief was good for what it was but I wasn't particularly moved by the overall content. Same with The Insider although it was more entertaining. Have yet to see The Last of the Mohicans, Ali, Miami Vice and Public Enemies.

Archived