Anyone else feel that there has a been a real shortage of MA movies recently?

AbeRudder

To me it feels like it's been really slim pickings over the last 2 years or so. Thai output seems to have dried up completely aside from Jaa's stuff. Around 3 or 4 years ago it seemed like there was new stuff coming out a little more regularly. What do you guys think?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This year will see some great releases as well as promising projects in production, including Special Identity; Badges of Fury (Jet Li); The Raid 2; The Iceman Cometh; The Master (Donnie again); and Dragon City (once again with Donnie).

Pickings are slim and worse not a lot looks purchase worthy. Bad times indeed, with little old stuff being released and what is sounds like quality releases are a thing of the past. :sad:

Drunken Monk

I actually don't feel this way at all. I feel although 2012 and 2013 have been pretty solid years. Jackie working on two projects, Donnie working on a boatload, multiple Ip Man films, Iko Uwais in two films (one being a Hollywood effort), a Wong Kar Wai kung fu film, a Tony Jaa sequel and a brand new Jet Li film.

And these are only the ones with big name actors. Now how many of these will be good, I don't know. But there are lots to pick from. I feel I've been buying more new kung fu films recently. I'm actually excited for the future.

ShaOW!linDude

I have to admit that I share AbeRudder's sentiment that the genre doesn't seem to be as prolific as it once was. But it seems to me it's been this way for the past decade. I find that what films have been coming out are a bit hit and miss with me, at least those coming out of China. So many of them seek to incorporate some sort of wuxia element that my interest is dismal at best.

Some of the more stalwart screen fighters give me the impression that MA films are beneath them now or they simply have no further interest in them as their careers have progressed or as they've gotten older. With some of the newer guys on the scene, so much physicality and effort goes into their films that it seems to take them longer to get the films out.

The US studios aren't even bothering to develop any decent B movie MA stars like they once did with the likes of JCVD, Seagal, Wilson, Kosugi, Dacascos, Speakman, etc.

Those who could breathe new life into the genre are the independent filmmakers like the Stunt People and such who produce short reels of incredible choreography that harken back to the glory days of HK action flicks. They have to self-finance a full length project though which makes matters extremely hard for them.

Fortunately there are a wealth of films from the 70's, 80's, and 90's I still need to get hold of. So.....that's something.

Noelle Shadow Kick

I'm with DrunkenMonk, I think there's been a bit of a resurgence and I'm looking forward to a bunch that are coming out!

Drunken Monk
I have to admit that I share AbeRudder's sentiment that the genre doesn't seem to be as prolific as it once was. But it seems to me it's been this way for the past decade. I find that what films have been coming out are a bit hit and miss with me, at least those coming out of China. So many of them seek to incorporate some sort of wuxia element that my interest is dismal at best.

Some of the more stalwart screen fighters give me the impression that MA films are beneath them now or they simply have no further interest in them as their careers have progressed or as they've gotten older. With some of the newer guys on the scene, so much physicality and effort goes into their films that it seems to take them longer to get the films out.

The US studios aren't even bothering to develop any decent B movie MA stars like they once did with the likes of JCVD, Seagal, Wilson, Kosugi, Dacascos, Speakman, etc.

Those who could breathe new life into the genre are the independent filmmakers like the Stunt People and such who produce short reels of incredible choreography that harken back to the glory days of HK action flicks. They have to self-finance a full length project though which makes matters extremely hard for them.

Fortunately there are a wealth of films from the 70's, 80's, and 90's I still need to get hold of. So.....that's something.

While I share your opinion to an extent, I feel that crews such as The Stunt People, coupled with sites like Kick Starter is an exciting step forward for independent kung fu films..

While the legends of yesteryear do seem to be winding down or losing interest, we will have phenomenal talent out there. It just needs to be channeled a little better.

I do see both sides of the coin though. I understand how some people may have lost their faith in true kung fu cinema. I hold onto my hopes though. After all, if a pretty shoddy film like "Ninja" can get a sequel (a sequel they may actually be good, I might add), I feel as though there's life in the old dog yet!

ShaOW!linDude

I try not to be such a skeptically jaded cynic....but sometimes I just can't help it.:cry::wink:

One Armed Boxer
I know I sound like a broken record, but Vietnam has two films this year worthy of your attention ;)

Chinatown (Chợ Lớn)

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=19619

Once Upon A Time In Vietnam (Lửa Phật)

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=19581

I want to get excited for these, but isn't 'Chinatown' in censorship limbo?

I'm curious about how 'Once Upon A Time In Vietnam' will play out, Dustin Nguyen has done nothing of note since 'The Rebel', except for starring in the what have been described as awful movies 'Angels' and 'Legend Is Alive'.

I see this is his directorial debut though, so was this originally called 'Monk On Fire'? I remember he described it as "a samurai/wuxia crossover with a Western type of structure", and it was supposed to also star Johnny Nguyen and Veronica Ngo.

gwailosforever
I want to get excited for these, but isn't 'Chinatown' in censorship limbo?

I'm curious about how 'Once Upon A Time In Vietnam' will play out, Dustin Nguyen has done nothing of note since 'The Rebel', except for starring in the what have been described as awful movies 'Angels' and 'Legend Is Alive'.

I see this is his directorial debut though, so was this originally called 'Monk On Fire'? I remember he described it as "a samurai/wuxia crossover with a Western type of structure", and it was supposed to also star Johnny Nguyen and Veronica Ngo.

Charlie and Johnny Nguyen are currently working on how to get 'Chinatown' past the Vietnamese censors. Don't give up hope just yet ;)

Once Upon A Time In Vietnam is indeed Monk on Fire. The Vietnamese title of OUATIV is Lửa Phật which roughly translates as Fire Buddha or Monk on Fire. It is indeed a unique beast containing elements of wuxia/samurai/western/steampunk. Veronica Ngo is still in the film and the villanious role originally intended for Johnny Nguyen is now played by Roger Yuan, the bad guy from Shanghai Noon and The Fiendish Dr Wu from Black Dynamite!

I too am curious to see how it turns out. I was very fortunate to film the behind the scenes documentary for the film. Having been on set every day I can tell you first hand how much blood sweat and tears when into the production. Trying to make a film of this ambition and scope in Vietnam is a tall order. It's too early to tell how it will turn out but I know they aren't far away from locking the picture edit. Fingers crossed!

Regarding 'Legend is Alive' it's not a perfect film by any means but it has much to recommend it. It has s a wonderful performance from Dustin (for which he won numerous acting awards), it's quite moving in places and features some beautiful cinematography. The end fight scene has it's moments too.

ShaOW!linDude
Regarding 'Legend is Alive' it's not a perfect film by any means but it has much to recommend it. It has s a wonderful performance from Dustin (for which he won numerous acting awards), it's quite moving in places and features some beautiful cinematography. The end fight scene has it's moments too.

I'm curious that if that's the case, why isn't it getting an international release? I've been wanting to see it.

One Armed Boxer
I'm curious that if that's the case, why isn't it getting an international release? I've been wanting to see it.

Forum member gwailosforever was on the ball about this again over in the thread for the movie itself, he explained -

Apparently two production companies were behind the film, and without going into detail they now have some disagreements/issue with each other. This has resulted in the film being trapped in limbo and this might not change for the seeable future.

I'm sure reviews like this didn't help its case either though :tongue: -

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/the-legend-is-alive-bjsal.php

ShaOW!linDude

Yeowch!!! Man, that is one stinging review. Still....I want to see it some day. Thanks, OAB.

Archived