Re:Born (2015) - Tak Sakaguchi is Back!

AlbertV

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re:Born arrives in the U.K on a dual format DVD/Blu-Ray release, on March 12th, from Eureka Entertianment, for only £12.99.

Synopsis from their official site, Link- https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/classics/reborn

Toshiro (Tak ∴, formerly Tak Sakaguchi, Versus), a former special forces operative, now lives a quiet life in the Japanese countryside. Despite his seemingly peaceful existence, Toshiro struggles to contain the destructive impulses that once made him the top soldier in an elite unit of killers. When his former commanding officer, the enigmatic Phantom (Akio Ôtsuka), comes out of the shadows seeking revenge, Toshiro goes on a kill-crazy rampage against a squad of ruthless assassins.

Utilising an unorthodox form of close-quarters combat (referred to by the director and lead actor as “Zero Range Combat”) Re:Born features some of the most stunningly choreographed martial-arts fight sequences in recent years, and Eureka Entertainment is proud to present the film in its UK debut on Blu-ray and DVD. 

Toshiro(Sakaguchi) fights to stay alive, in a scene from the movie.

p12-schilling-rebornrev-a-20170810-870x5

One Armed Boxer

Just a reminder for anyone that didn't want to splash out $60 on the Japanese Blu-ray, the UK dual combo DVD & Blu-ray set is out today!

3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Just a reminder for anyone that didn't want to splash out $60 on the Japanese Blu-ray, the UK dual combo DVD & Blu-ray set is out today!

Any idea when the release date is here in the states? 

One Armed Boxer
3 hours ago, KCN9NE said:

Any idea when the release date is here in the states? 

As far as I'm aware it hasn't been picked up for distribution in the States (yet?).

Drunken Monk

I’m about thirty minutes from the end of this film (I’m not sure I’ll get through it all tonight) but I wanted to come on here and say something...

The film is toneless, totally without character and vapid...and yet it features some of the best action I’ve seen in ages.

I’ve never been so excited AND disappointed by a film. Honestly, everything between the fight scenes is as dull as a rock. It’s pretentious, muddled and ugly.

Then the action begins and it changes EVERYTHING. There are some slight gripes to be had with frantic camera work but that’s it. I love the style, the brutality...all of it. It’s bloody great.

Drunken Monk

Okay, I did manage to see the rest of it. The last fight is VERY silly. Almost laughably so.

Basically, “Re:Born” is a boring mess with moments of utter genius. The forest fight is pure joy. But is it worth buying? Nope. Watch the fights on You Tube and call it a day.

TheFlyingPanda

Okay, I did manage to see the rest of it. The last fight is VERY silly. Almost laughably so.

Basically, “Re:Born” is a boring mess with moments of utter genius. The forest fight is pure joy. But is it worth buying? Nope. Watch the fights on You Tube and call it a day.

Dammit! I already pre-ordered it and its on its way (arriving soon) I assume. Thanks for the heads up, at least I can go in knowing what to expect and just sit back with the popcorn. 

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Thanks to my brother from another (UK) mother, I received the Eureka! version of this in the mail the other day.

Despite the wildly varied opinions on it, and my love/hate relationship with Tak's performances/action, I am looking forward to this. Hope I have the time to watch it soon.

On 21/03/2018 at 12:47 AM, Drunken Monk said:

watched trailer. not impressed with camera work or action scenes. looked  abit on cheapside.  . The fights look bad compared to wolf warriors two. Looked like trying for raid style fighting on a budget.  

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, robbie said:

watched trailer. not impressed with camera work or action scenes. looked  abit on cheapside.  . The fights look bad compared to wolf warriors two. Looked like trying for raid style fighting on a budget.  

The fights are actually quite original. Brutal and fast paced. I wouldn't say they're "The Raid"-like at all. They are a little frantic in places though. which can be off putting. As for the cheapness of them, Tak's come leaps and bounds since "Versus". "Re:Born" looks miles better than his older stuff. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's better.

On 05/04/2018 at 1:08 PM, Drunken Monk said:

The fights are actually quite original. Brutal and fast paced. I wouldn't say they're "The Raid"-like at all. They are a little frantic in places though. which can be off putting. As for the cheapness of them, Tak's come leaps and bounds since "Versus". "Re:Born" looks miles better than his older stuff. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's better.

Some of setting  reminded me of the  foreigner  . .but from trailer it  just looks so cheap &  the dude really  can't direct action . He should retire if this is his best effort.. There was some bizarre bit were a guy  did  little twitches  to avoid bullets,  looked so stupid. If these are best bits i'd hate to see rest. Made me feel I underappreciated Steven seagal as fights in under siege 2  looked miles better. Seen that many knife fights recently man from nowhere etc but this looks by far worse..

Drunken Monk

Granted, he does dodge bullets but you don't get the full scope of the action in the trailer. There's a really great twenty minute action sequence set in a forest. There's some dodgy editing at times but, as a whole, that particular scene is great. One of the more original action sequences I've seen in some time.

One Armed Boxer
19 hours ago, robbie said:

Made me feel I underappreciated Steven seagal as fights in under siege 2  looked miles better.

Am I the only one that feels 'Under Siege 2' is one of Seagal's best movies?  Regardless of that though, comparing a big budget Hollywood studio sequel to a country which forces action filmmakers to make movies on very small budgets isn't fair, and the same theory can be applied to 'Wolf Warrior 2'.  'Re:Born' should be watched in the context of what is it, not what you want it to be.  (& yes, I once sneezed and dodged a bullet, so I think the twitching tactic is perfectly feasable.:tongueout )

in these quarantine days I finally recovered it. on the whole it's interesting for the fighting. Tak has a natural speed and doesn't seem to be achieved by fast forwarding with an effect. "the wave"... the movement of the shoulders together with the noise it creates is not bad. the fluid movements of hands and shoulders become ridiculous and make you laugh in the final fight when you exaggerate these movements. the story is a concentration of clichés seen many times. the subplot would like to add something more interesting but it doesn't succeed. the fight in the forest is the most interesting thing while the final one is too dark and with those ridiculous movements it doesn't hit the target. it looks like a test of various scenes and combat experiments.

Archived