Re:Born (2015) - Tak Sakaguchi is Back!

AlbertV

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE: BORN will have its European Premiere screening at BIFFF taking place from tomorrow in Brussels!
Both Dir. Yuji Shimomura and Tak Sakaguchi are extremelly thrilled to participate in this festival especially it's been 9 years since thier first collaboration Death Trance.
Please cmoe check out this passionate movie they had put thier blood and soul to!

【Schedule】
13th April at 00:30~ @Cine 2
http://www.bifff.net/product/re-born/

Otto Bismarck

Though as far as I can tell it's only being shown in one cinema (in Tokyo of course). The release strategy for this film is quite bizarre. 

1 hour ago, Otto Bismarck said:

Though as far as I can tell it's only being shown in one cinema (in Tokyo of course). The release strategy for this film is quite bizarre. 

Opening in one cinema is normal for small releases like this. More theaters in other cities (as well as in Tokyo if it proves successful enough) will surely be added later. It may take several months for it to travel to some cities.

Otto Bismarck
On 7/11/2017 at 9:14 PM, Takuma said:

Opening in one cinema is normal for small releases like this. More theaters in other cities (as well as in Tokyo if it proves successful enough) will surely be added later. It may take several months for it to travel to some cities.

Ah, I didn't know that's how it works - thanks for the info. 

Though I live out in the middle of nowhere so I'll be waiting for the DVD release regardless. Really excited for this one. 

JP BD and DVD releases coming Dec. 2, 2017

Reborn Ultimate Edition BD (Limited Edition)

Disc 1: Film (BD)
Subtitles: English, Japanese (HoH)
Audio: Original 5.1
+ Trailer, Stage Greeting, Audio Commentary

Disc 2: Extras (DVD)
Behind the Scenes
Zero Combat System instructional videos
Action explanation video
Talk event

- https://www.facebook.com/yujishimomura.reborn/posts/1534310509941681

One Armed Boxer
3 hours ago, Takuma said:

This is nothing short of a miracle!:smile

On 10/2/2017 at 11:37 AM, Takuma said:

Behind the Scenes
Action explanation video
Talk event

reb.jpg

It took a while, but I finally got to see the film.

Re: Born (リボーン) (2016) [DCP]
There's a great sense of disappointment when a film is so keen on its original concept that it forgets some of the basics of action filmmaking. The film sees Tak Sakaguchi as a former special forces man, now running a convenience store in a small town, caught up by his past when former colleagues comes after his life. The film's selling point is the so called Zero Range Combat System, developed by combat strategist Yoshitaka Inagawa, who seems to have impressed the filmmakers to the extent that they couldn't see the forest for the trees. Too often character motivations are left vague, and we don't know how exactly their combat strategies are supposed to work. With too much shaky camerawork, close-ups and edits that fails to convey micro-level continuity in the fights, the film turns into a mechanical showcase of fast moves.

Ironically enough, the film inserts a good 45 minutes of mostly unnecessary back-story when all they needed to do was to make it very clear what's going in each scene. There's still, thankfully, a decent amount of fun to be had with some cool details in terms of the main character's characterization, and of course the action (I may be too critical considering films like The Raid and John Wick 2 suffer from similar technical irritations, yet people seem to enjoy them very much). But as far as recent Japanese action cinema goes, there have been more dynamic efforts at filming action by the likes of Kensuke Sonomura & Takanori Tsujimoto (Hard Revenge Milly: Bloody Battle, Bushido Man).

Perhaps I'll be more forgiving the next time I see the film.

I won a mini-poster signed by Sakaguchi and Shimomura, btw. Shimomura had been to the theatre the previous day and left some stuff to give away.

reb.jpg

• Administrator
On 10/1/2017 at 10:37 PM, Takuma said:

Behind the Scenes
Action explanation video
Talk event

On 10/2/2017 at 2:08 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

This is nothing short of a miracle!:smile

My thoughts exactly @One Armed Boxer! :nerd:

11 hours ago, Takuma said:

It took a while, but I finally got to see the film.

Re: Born (リボーン) (2016) [DCP]
There's a great sense of disappointment when a film is so keen on its original concept that it forgets some of the basics of action filmmaking. The film sees Tak Sakaguchi as a former special forces man, now running a convenience store in a small town, caught up by his past when former colleagues comes after his life. The film's selling point is the so called Zero Range Combat System, developed by combat strategist Yoshitaka Inagawa, who seems to have impressed the filmmakers to the extent that they couldn't see the forest for the trees. Too often character motivations are left vague, and we don't know how exactly their combat strategies are supposed to work. With too much shaky camerawork, close-ups and edits that fails to convey micro-level continuity in the fights, the film turns into a mechanical showcase of fast moves.

Ironically enough, the film inserts a good 45 minutes of mostly unnecessary back-story when all they needed to do was to make it very clear what's going in each scene. There's still, thankfully, a decent amount of fun to be had with some cool details in terms of the main character's characterization, and of course the action (I may be too critical considering films like The Raid and John Wick 2 suffer from similar technical irritations, yet people seem to enjoy them very much). But as far as recent Japanese action cinema goes, there have been more dynamic efforts at filming action by the likes of Kensuke Sonomura & Takanori Tsujimoto (Hard Revenge Milly: Bloody Battle, Bushido Man).

Perhaps I'll be more forgiving the next time I see the film.

I won a mini-poster signed by Sakaguchi and Shimomura, btw. Shimomura had been to the theatre the previous day and left some stuff to give away.

reb.jpg

Aw man... I was afraid of this (your description of the film and its action). That's exactly what I feared. To me Tak always seems way more impressive in the "behind the scenes" footage than he does in his actual films. Still... very tempted to order this, both to at least give the movie a chance, and also just to help show the Japanese distributors that we WILL import their releases if they make them English friendly.

Congrats on winning the poster @Takuma. That's very cool.

I got the JP Blu-Ray today. The disc is region free and the movie has english subtitles :smile Extras on Disc have no subtitles whatsoever, as well as the DVD with more than 2 hours of extra content. That's really unfortunate to be honest. But I'm happy to finally watch the movie. It's housed in a embossed slipcase and comes with three postcards.

Anyone up for an early christmas gift? I'm giving away above-mentioned Blu-Ray (You'll only pay shipping). Drop me a PM. First come first serve!

--- And it's gone ---

13 hours ago, Takuma said:

You hated the film so much? :laugh

OK, I had that one coming :tongueout But seriously, overall I enjoyed the movie.

Sure the story is pretty weak and it's obvious they're trying to promote the "zero range" combat system. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It was actually refreshing to see a different style of martial art on display. And there are certain aspects of the system I found quite interesting. Also the action is straight forward "strike to kill". No jumping around for 20 minutes :laugh Tak delivers some pretty hard hitting moves. In the end the movie has enough going for it to make it a recommendation for MA-enthusiasts.

One Armed Boxer
On ‎05‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 8:12 PM, laagi said:

Anyone up for an early christmas gift? I'm giving away above-mentioned Blu-Ray (You'll only pay shipping). Drop me a PM. First come first serve!

--- And it's gone ---

First up, thanks to @laagi for the early Christmas present!:smile  I got through watching this one last night, and fall somewhere between laagi and @Takuma's takes on Sakaguchi's swansong.  I gave it the full review treatment here -

http://cityonfire.com/reborn-2016-review-kenkichi-zero-range-combat-system-tak-sakaguchi-yuji-shimomura/

10 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

First up, thanks to @laagi for the early Christmas present!:smile  I got through watching this one last night, and fall somewhere between laagi and @Takuma's takes on Sakaguchi's swansong.  I gave it the full review treatment here -

http://cityonfire.com/reborn-2016-review-kenkichi-zero-range-combat-system-tak-sakaguchi-yuji-shimomura/

The Kenkichi connection never came to my mind. Excellent thinking!

On 22/12/2017 at 8:04 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Good review! I'm not sure if I want to see it, or if it will get distribution here (after the crisis, Asian films are hit-or-miss for Brazilian distribution), but the read was fun.

9 hours ago, KCN9NE said:

Where can you purchase this blu ray? The link did not work. 

Not sure what link you're refering to. But for now amazon japan is your only option. Or you can wait until march for the eureka release.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/RE-BORN-リボーン【Blu-ray】アルティメット・エディション〔期間限定生産〕-TAK∴/dp/B07631658W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&keywords=re%3Aborn&language=en_US&qid=1514390498&sr=8-1

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/classics/reborn

Archived