Re:Born (2015) - Tak Sakaguchi is Back!

AlbertV

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tak Sakaguchi out of retirement for the action film ‘Re:Born’....

Director Yuji Shimomura (Death Trance) says Tak is out of retirement to make an "ultimate action movie" titled Re:Born, which the actor calls “the very last and most superb action movie.”

More details!

Awesome news! I've been waiting forever for Shimomura to get another chance at directing.

One Armed Boxer

Casting call video below...am I the only one hoping for a Sakaguchi & Rina Takeda team-up!?

OtVpfom8VgM

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Casting call video below...am I the only one hoping for a Sakaguchi & Rina Takeda team-up!?

That would be great!

Maybe she could show him how to make it look like his strikes have power? :angel:

One Armed Boxer
Maybe she could show him how to make it look like his strikes have power? :angel:

Ha ha!:tongue: I'm curious to know, does your criticism of his strikes lacking power apply only to 'Yakuza Weapon', or did you also feel the same way about 'Versus' & 'Death Trance'?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Ha ha!:tongue: I'm curious to know, does your criticism of his strikes lacking power apply only to 'Yakuza Weapon', or did you also feel the same way about 'Versus' & 'Death Trance'?

I think he looked powerful in VERSUS. So many people raved to me about DEATH TRANCE, and it seemed like it had all the elements that I would love. But I just couldn't get into it. I watched about half of it, then kept putting off finishing it. I forgot about it and never did go back. I just didn't care. :squigglemouth: Honestly, I can't even remember how he looked in that one now. He's a cool looking dude, his acting is passable, and he has tons of charisma. But his action... meh.

I love both Death Trance and Versus, but found Yakuza Weapon to be one of the most disappointing movies in the past few years... I don't want to sound disrespective to those who liked the film, but I constantly got the feeling they were aiming at genre-beginners rather than hard core genre film fans. All the ridiculous CGI and making it so over the top it constantly felt apologetic (as in "look, we're not serious, we are making fun of ourselves!")

I just hope he watches the raid 1-2 and takes a few notes, if he wants to make the greatest action movie of all time.. The tap to the head with a sword and a spinning back fist, can only go so far and he seems to do those same moves over and over. I hope they have some fast paced/hard hitting fight scenes that make people say "wow" I enjoyed his movies, but never once said "wow" to any fight

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I love both Death Trance and Versus, but found Yakuza Weapon to be one of the most disappointing movies in the past few years... I don't want to sound disrespective to those who liked the film, but I constantly got the feeling they were aiming at genre-beginners rather than hard core genre film fans. All the ridiculous CGI and making it so over the top it constantly felt apologetic (as in "look, we're not serious, we are making fun of ourselves!")

You put that perfectly. Great way to sum up/describe YAKUZA WEAPON.

I just hope he watches the raid 1-2 and takes a few notes, if he wants to make the greatest action movie of all time.. The tap to the head with a sword and a spinning back fist, can only go so far and he seems to do those same moves over and over. I hope they have some fast paced/hard hitting fight scenes that make people say "wow" I enjoyed his movies, but never once said "wow" to any fight

Exactly!

More footage of Sakaguchi getting in shape (and looking for cast and stuntmen):

He looks great here with his punches. His kicks aren't the greatest, but could easily be made to look more powerful via choreography. Tak is obviously a very strong dude. Now if they can just get him to look that strong on film (without killing any stunt people) he'll be set. :bigsmile:

Yep. Perfectly said. He made some pretty bold statements in calling it the "greatest" action movie.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Yep. Perfectly said. He made some pretty bold statements in calling it the "greatest" action movie.

Which film did he say that about?

Which film did he say that about?

That's what TAK says about REBORN:

“After I retired, I found myself having a passion for action that was still smoldering inside of me. After a conversation with action director Yuji Shimomura, I wanted to thrive one more time and create the very last and most superb action movie with my utmost power and passion for the sake of a closure to my entire career. I am convinced that I have to give my very best one last time. That is how I feel about this project. I didn’t realize how many people chose to support a person like myself until after I retired. I hope this movie will be satisfying enough for them to feel absolutely alright for me to go. This is for them.”

Well, I sorta quoted it wrong. He says "most superb" (same thing, really).

http://www.cityonfire.com/tak-sakaguchi-out-of-retirement-for-the-martial-arts-thriller-reborn/

Trailer for Shimomura's new short film Hero (2015, 29 min), starring Masanori Mimoto (the lead actor of Alien vs. Ninja and the yakuza knife master in Bushido Man) and Tak Sakaguchi.

Premiers at Yubari next month.

4mHVA_LGIsw

It's a part of an episode film called

(時間創造部), which doesn't look too good but Shimomura's episode is certainly of some interest.

Archived